Best Family Dog

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: slatr
No, that is experience with the destructiveness of that breed.

Your statement there just shows your complete ignorance in terms of dog breeds.......

Oh this should be good.....

Lets hear this experience.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, that is experience with the destructiveness of that breed.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your statement there just shows your complete ignorance in terms of dog breeds.......

I'd bet you a thousand dollars I have more verifiable experience with all breeds and you're an idiot that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

edit, not the guy replying to the idiot, the other one :)

Well, if you are referring to the pit bull, yes I am biased.

I have seen first hand what they can do to other dogs.

Sorry didn't read this far when I responded. Oh so you have seen first hand what one pitbull did to another dog. Well why didn't you say so.....

Your one experience means jackcrap.

Now if you state FACT that pitbulls are in general dog aggressive then I am not going to argue. Pitbulls in general are going to be aggressive towards other dogs.

Another fact, pitbulls should not in most cases be owned by first time dog owners. Pitbulls are strong powerful dogs.

Another fact, pitbulls are dog aggressive but are NOT human aggressive. Old dog handlers who used to fight pitbulls would routinely stand IN the pit as the dogs would fight. If the dog bit them, they would put the dog down.

So why do pitbull deaths occur? Same reason why EVERY DOG BREED ATTACKS. Poor breeding and pathetic dog ownership.

Labs attack and bite people more often than pitbulls. The difference? When a pitbull attacks, it is big time damage.

However if breeders and owners were ethical, there is no problem.

Oh how do I know a lot about this? I own bulldogs. They aren't pitbulls but they are mistaken for pitbulls on a daily basis. I would put money that 99% people on this forum couldn't even pick out a pitbull among dogs.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Get a puppy that will eventually grow into a big dog. No one can resist a puppy and your wife will have grown accustomed to it by the time it gets bigger.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: soydios
My family has a Rhodesian Ridgeback. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

We love that dog. She's very cute yet is strongly built. She is very tolerant of our antics and has never once growled at a family member or friend. She is also very very smart (smart enough to be taught to not so much as look at the cat). She's a perfect guard dog: she'll bark at any intruder until a family member goes and greets the person or she recognizes them, at which point she transforms into a friendly dog looking for attention. She also knows her territory: she'll guard the house, but when we talk her out for walks or to the beach, she is completely non-aggressive, though she won't be pushed around either. Understand that she would never ever hurt a family member, but a small child might get accidentally pushed over (as I said above, she's got some substance under that coat).

Typical behaviors for our Rhodesian Ridgeback include sleeping in the sun, following us around the house, or lying down where we are (watching TV, dinner table, etc.). The person she is most attached to is my mom, but she comes running to greet anyone that comes in the door.

Here are two pictures of her (the coat is of a lighter color than most ridgebacks, which have a dark red coat).
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7420/dscn0258za7.jpg
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7373/dscn0921hz0.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6584/dscn2448pv4.jpg

Great looking dog.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
grow a pair, and tell your wife you want a REAL DOG.

And whoever posted the link to that poodle, wth is wrong with you? There is nothing g@yer than a poodle.

GSD's are the best dog...but if they get your wife's panties in a bunch, labs are great dogs too....and a bit less intimidating. I wouldn't settle for much less than a lab. Just tell your daughter that it's mommy's fault the next time she asks for a dog.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
smartest dogs:
border collie
german shepherd

best family dog can mean a lot of different things. some dogs arent good with young kids. but i personally feel it is all how you raise the dog. if it is trained properly...any dog will make a great family dog. look at mine, for an example...he is a young male miniature dachshund. dachshunds are known to be extremly possesive and very bad with young kids...well, i beleive this is mainly because they are a popular breed and most people dont know wtf they are doing. my dog is extremely sociable (prolly too sociable) and is awesome with little kids. i let him play with a cousin's 3yr old (under close supervision) and the kid was tuggin on his hair, pulling his tail, just about everything someone could do to hurt it, but he was good. just kept playing and licking.

however, if you dont plan on getting some training then get a smarter dogs (dachshunds arent the brightest and they are stubborn like most small dogs). smarter dogs learn quicker and will understand thigns more easily...usually even if you're not a great owner...

i say get a a border collie since they are smaller and extremely smart...if not that a german shepherd, or goldren retriever...labs are good too.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I have a Havanese as someone suggested earlier and it is a great mix of size and intelligence. I got her due to the hypo-allergenic qualities (no shedding or dander). She has a great personality, but from my experience I don't think that breed is what you are looking for.

I saw someone the other day with a miniature Border Collie. I know this is a recognized breed but I would research it. If you can get even half the personality and intelligence of a border collie in a smaller size then that would be the perfect dog for you. Also very protective. My friend's border collies "herd" their 2 kids whenever they sense danger.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Labs are great dogs. They do shed - a lot depending on the climate where you live. Based on your description, a lab would be ideal. Plenty of room to run, a lot of stuff to sniff and a pond to swim in (they are water dogs after all). They can be destructive if they feel they are being neglected, but then most dogs can. My chocolate female is 65lbs, and my black male is about 80lbs.

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Any shepard, collie, retriever, pointer, or healer will make a great family dog.

We have a half shepard/half husky female that is huge. She constantly watches and guards the house and my children. We also have a long haired border collie. She is too smart for her own good, but is also great with our children. She prevents momma from disciplining the kids outside and she herds the kids and keeps them away from the street. She also frees other dogs in the neighborhood when she invariably escapes the back yard by chewing their tethers into.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
the best compromise is a pembroke welsh corgi. they are herding dogs on dwarf legs, used for the small cattle in Wales. you get a smallish dog (25 pounds average), but they literally have big dog heads, bodies, and personalities. big dog voices mean no yapping. big dog brains mean no neurotic bullsh!t and they are easy to train. the herding intelligence translates to a dog that can learn many commands, but you have to be willing to be the alpha wolf and not the herded cow! they are non-destructive, like to play and go on walks, and have few genetic problems (other than occasional hip problems).

the cardigan welsh corgi is a different dog with a different genetic background, and they aren't as smart or playful, but might be better if you need a dog that is ok being lazy.

don't listen to the pug promoters. most are overbred, have very expensive medical complications (think thousand dollar surgury bills to open air passages), and require regular grooming to clean the crap out of the folds in their skin. you can't train them, because their personalities have both no interest in learning or in pleasing you. their eyeballs fall out of their heads (i am not joking), so get used to having the emergancy vet's phone number on speed dial. just don't go there, no matter how cute you think they are.

bassets are usually nice dogs, but they smell. think everything-you-own-smells-like-basset. your car will smell. your furniture will smell. etc. i love bassets, but could never own one for this reason.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
What you need is a Lubo or as most people would call it a GSD mix. You get the looks of a GSD only a little smaller at only 65lbs and with much reduced protectiveness.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
West Highland Terrier: Train them well, and they get along with EVERYONE. Also very "fierce", big dog in a little dog's body. And they're chick magnets, too. I have one, and him and my Siamese cat actually play with each other. It's amazing.

Jack Russel Terrier: EXTREMELY ENERGETIC. If you're lazy/old, not the dog for you. But if you like running/kicking balls around, this is an awesome dog. Great with familes, very loyal.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: djheater
My girls love our corgi.

They are disgustingly cute as puppies.
Highly trainable and inteliigent, they're working dogs, he loves to herd my kids around, he'll chase them and stay by their side 170% of the day, there's nothing he loves more than simply being with the girls.

He's great with all kids.

More puppy pics:
one
two

That little fvcker is adorable.

slatr

May 28, 2001
Your one experience means jackcrap.

I never said it was one experience

Sorry didn't read this far when I responded. Oh so you have seen first hand what one pitbull did to another dog. Well why didn't you say so.....

Here you go short and to the point

1. Bitten by a pit bull as a child by one that came into the street after getting loose.

2. neighbor bitten by one

3. Our spaniel mauled by neighbors dog and nearly killed

4. Another neighbors beagle mauled by same dog, they had to choke the pit bull to get him to release the beagle.

Huntress

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
another vote for a PUG. my parents bread them I want one so bad but my current living situation doesn't allow it

also heard good things about Pug Bealge mixes (guess there called a Pugel or something)

Puggle... here's our puggle puppy we got for Christmas

Bandit

grow up to be about 30#

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: KevinH
Originally posted by: djheater
My girls love our corgi.

They are disgustingly cute as puppies.
Highly trainable and inteliigent, they're working dogs, he loves to herd my kids around, he'll chase them and stay by their side 170% of the day, there's nothing he loves more than simply being with the girls.

He's great with all kids.

More puppy pics:
one
two

That little fvcker is adorable.

Yeah, he's a good little guy.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Get a Gordon Setter. Body of an english setter, coloration of a doberman or rottwieler (sp?). They are very nice medium sized dog (40-50 lbs), and you can hunt with them.