Best entry-level D-SLR?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Madwand1
Originally posted by: getbush
? Self-timer: 2 or 12 sec (automatic mirror-up) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Heh, not only does it have it, it has it done correctly -- integrated with the timer.
No, "correctly" is via a manual lever on the side of the lens mount, like on my old RTS II.

ZV

Agreed. Correctly is having its own dedicated mirror lock-up button. It has done the *self timer* correctly, but not the mirror lock-up. It'd better have mirror lock-up with the self timer in addition to a manually toggled mirror lock-up feature.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
No, "correctly" is via a manual lever on the side of the lens mount, like on my old RTS II.

My Contax 645 has it integrated with the self-timer (in addition to the manual button), and I like that just fine. Am I going to argue against a separate button in addition?...

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I like the weather sealing of the K10D. I also like the high-quality viewfinder.

Canon and Nikon should get off their high horses and realize they need to learn from the little guys...or become little guys themselves...at least in the consumer market.

Canon DID shock the world 2 years ago with the first sub-$1000 DSLR, the original EOS-300D/Rebel. I have the feeling they MIGHT do the same again soon...by fusing the EOS-5D and EOS-30D lines and create an "inexpensive" full-frame DSLR. This would be a huge blow to the likes of Sony/Pentax. And Canon has the FF CMOS sensors to do it.

I think the cost of large quantities of full frame sensors precludes "inexpensive" FF anything. If anyone can leverage economies of scale with sensors, it would be Sony since they supply sensors to just about everyone but Canon. It's rumored that Sony will introduce a FF (the Carl Zeiss lenses for the Alpha are intended for FF), but there's no timeline. The recent rumors about their next cameras are one to compete with the 30D and another to compete with the very low end, around the D50 pricepoint.

Canon's big problem, and to a lesser extent Nikon as well, is that they are firmly rooted in their tiered camera body lineup. They have the entry (XTi), the prosumer (30D), the high-end prosumer/pseudo professional (5D), and their professional line. If they start to muddle that by throwing FF into the 30D segment, they hurt their 5D segment sales plus hurt their EF-S lens sales. They've segmented their market very well, but it ties them down so you'll likely never see weather sealing in their 30D and under cameras, unlike Pentax which has it in the XTi equivalent (in terms of price).

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: KLin
A D-SLR for a friend's daughter? What kind of gifts do you get for your family? :p

i would like to know this too.

How old is this daughter, and does your wife know?

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Canon's big problem, and to a lesser extent Nikon as well, is that they are firmly rooted in their tiered camera body lineup. They have the entry (XTi), the prosumer (30D), the high-end prosumer/pseudo professional (5D), and their professional line. If they start to muddle that by throwing FF into the 30D segment, they hurt their 5D segment sales plus hurt their EF-S lens sales.

But you could have said similar things about the introduction of the 5D cutting into 1D* sales or even the introduction of the 300D cutting into the 10D, and now the 400D cutting into the 30D. While I agree with much of your post, I think Canon's already demonstrated a willingness to cut their own sales for progress. IIRC, Canon people mentioned an intention for wider availability of FF down the road. While it's unimaginable that the hot competition at the low end is going to be done with anything but crop format cameras, it is conceivable that Canon will move to get even greater lock-in and mind-share of photographers with greater accessibility of FF.

Now that said, I agree that it's probably one of the competitors' turn to take up this front. If Canon would wow their competition with a cheaper FF, think how much Pentax or Sony could wow Canon with such a camera. But if this was easy, then everyone would be doing it; the reality is that FF is a niche at present.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Do not get the G7, Canon took out the RAW format to protect its entry level DSLR. Start her off with a Canon Rebel XT.

Originally posted by: jpeyton
How old is this daughter, and does your wife know?

Read the OP.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
I'm 18, and just getting into photography. I just bought the Nikon D50 for my first DSLR. I love the thing. I spent about a month trying to decide between the Rebel XT and Nikon D50. I eventually went for the D50, because of the feel. Plus, if I ever want to upgrade, I know every lens I get for this camera will work on all of Nikon's future models, where as with Canon, you can't use EF-S lenses on the full size sensor cameras.

Personally though as much as I am loyal to Nikon, I would say go for the Canon XT or XTi. It would probably fit better in her hands. The upgradability is there too if she ever gets serious, just as it is with Nikon. The lenses for those systems have a good resale value too, they usually will drop in price about 5-15% only, if you want to sell them used.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
The above poster is in the exact same stance as I am. I just got a D50 as well, both because of price and because I have some nice 30-year-old Nikkor glass lying around. About half the photographers (hobby or professional) use Nikon, other half use Canon.

A lengthy-ish post of mine in a similar thread.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

The D50 fits my largeish (male) hands nicely, and has a good substantial feel to it (quality feel, but not a heavy burdensome weight). I haven't spent much time with the Canon 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT), and no time at all with the 400D (XTi), but everyone tells me that the Canon XT/XTi DSLRs are better for small hands (like a teenage girl).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Brentx
Plus, if I ever want to upgrade, I know every lens I get for this camera will work on all of Nikon's future models

that ain't guaranteed. the only lens system where every lens works backwards and forwards is pentax. nikon's F mount 'compatability' has more holes than swiss cheese.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Brentx
Plus, if I ever want to upgrade, I know every lens I get for this camera will work on all of Nikon's future models

that ain't guaranteed. the only lens system where every lens works backwards and forwards is pentax. nikon's F mount 'compatability' has more holes than swiss cheese.

I would say that Nikon's F-mount compatability is pretty good. I'm using a THIRTY (yes, 30) year old 50mm f/1.4 prime, and it produces astounding pictures on my D50 (no distortion, high contrast, incredibly sharp). It just has to be used in manual mode, since the camera can't tell the aperture for the light meter.

To keep the same mount and core geometry of your cameras for thirty years is something for which I applaud Nikon.