Question Best entry-level AX / Wifi 6 router? (TP-Link AX1500/3000, Asus AX56U/58U, Netgear RAX35/RAX40)?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have Gigabit FIOS, so I would want a wifi solution (utilizing AX 2x2 clients and APs) that could deliver that to the end-user.

Bonus if the router has a decent QoS functionality, and multi-WAN.

Probably going to use an Intel AX200 PCI-E client solution.

Edit: It any of the above (*I think all of the 2x2/2x2 AX3000 routers in title use Intel chipset) use a Broadcom (I think TP-Link AX1500 and Asus AX56U both do), that would be a preference, but I've also read that those don't do 160Mhz channels. Would like to use a future fork/version of Tomato, eventually. Newer Asus come with encrypted CFE though, which is a problem for porting 3rd-party firmware.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Don't expect WiFi 6 routers got 3rd party firmware support anytime soon, developers need some people to donate their new bought routers to get started.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
I have Gigabit FIOS, so I would want a wifi solution (utilizing AX 2x2 clients and APs) that could deliver that to the end-user.

Bonus if the router has a decent QoS functionality, and multi-WAN.

Probably going to use an Intel AX200 PCI-E client solution.

You can't get what you want without spending thousands. And you should really read about OFDMA before proceeding with spending money.

And last, make sure you know the difference between broadcom and qualcom and which chip is being used, then gamble on which vendor will actually update their code, and last, which clients will actually benefit.

9 times out of 10, no one is close enough to access point to take advantage of the speed. The difference between 5 ft and 10 ft is dramatic.