Best Durable Printer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Just don't forget : If you want ink to last DON'T SHUT DOWN THE POWER, KEEP IT AT STAND BY MODE EVERY-TIME !!!!

Most inkjets are better left on. They don't do as much maintenance and the print head will park itself. You should also disable the auto-shut off feature which is on every printer.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Brother lasers last forever, like HP used to before their quality dropped. Toner also lasts many years without drying out, my current cartridge is at least 7 years old.

I keep eyeing fancy wireless multifunction Brother models when they are on sale for $100-150 but my old wired one just keeps on working.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My HP LaserJet 4250 is still going after 15 years. I replaced rollers and fuser once. I will never give this printer up. Just did a page usage print. 1,887,974 pages. Nearly 2 million pages. Damn, I love this printer!

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
My HP LaserJet 4250 is still going after 15 years. I replaced rollers and fuser once. I will never give this printer up. Just did a page usage print. 1,887,974 pages. Nearly 2 million pages. Damn, I love this printer!

How...how is that even possible to print that much. According to my napkin math, that's something like $18,000 in paper alone. Are you a lawyer or something?!?! :eek::D:p

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
How...how is that even possible to print that much. According to my napkin math, that's something like $18,000 in paper alone. Are you a lawyer or something?!?! :eek::D:p
IT director. But yeah, this thing prints nonstop all day.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
You're probably going to have to talk to somebody in your area that leases commercial copiers because they are all about the same these days. Like Corkey mentioned, the complexity added by scanners in "all in one" models creates more fragile build issues so perhaps something like the HP m605 would be worth checking out. I detest the inkjet consumption racket so rarely recommend inkjets particularly for high volume printing. Laser printers also pound the electrical system so sagging voltages can affect their lifetime. They cannot (or should not) be hooked up to UPS battery backups as they will overload them. If your building has electrical issues, it would call for an inkjet and its just difficult to make a call on those. I personally like Canon inkjets.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Flickering of the light in the hallway is the telltale that the Brother is about to print, so you are right on about the electrical strain, for sure.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Flickering of the light in the hallway is the telltale that the Brother is about to print, so you are right on about the electrical strain, for sure.

That is more crappy wiring/ panel planning than the printer's fault. In my old house lights never flickered, and that is with my 1850 watt rms home theatre on while printing. Current house light flickers with only computer on and turn on the printer

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I am calling BS. Apparently you cannot swear on this forum. Where did you get that at? A big corporate liquidation sale?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I am calling BS. Apparently you cannot swear on this forum. Where did you get that at? A big corporate liquidation sale?
It was bought new 15 years ago. Why are you calling BS? We print a lot in 15 years.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Brother lasers last forever, like HP used to before their quality dropped. Toner also lasts many years without drying out, my current cartridge is at least 7 years old.

I keep eyeing fancy wireless multifunction Brother models when they are on sale for $100-150 but my old wired one just keeps on working.
I have one of those bad boys. I love it. My wife loves it. She prints from her iPhone all the time. Dirt cheap to operate. Aftermarket toner is like $12 for a decent cartridge and it lasts for ever. Printer doesn't complain about non-OEM toner. LOVE IT