Best drinks for gaming - intellectual Analysis!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is your favorite drink for gaming?

• Beer! Beeeeeeer!!!! Slurred team speech and sloppy FPS play FML.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Vodka!! Martini Shaken not stirred....snobby drink!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rum. Rum and coke. Yuk. Wannabee pirate.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Gin! Gin n Tonic! Angry man drink! F**** this game I quit!!!!

• Mixed Fruity Drink!! More Sugar! More sugar I love bad hangovers!

• Scotch. With a Cigar! Sophisticated Evil Genious drink. I like to calmly grief other players.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Wine. More cheese, more whining!

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Soda. Borrrringggg.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Bourbon. I'm a cowboy bitches!! Yeeeehaaawww! I love shots and puking.

• Tequila!!! "Do you remember what happened last night" says the wife....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Cider, Jim beam, Jack Daniels, Rum anything really although I don't drink lager.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
whoa, careful there. There is blended scotch whiskey and single malt scotch whiskey. bourbon itself is a blend, but is still not the same as blended scotch whiskey. single malt whiskey (whether it be from Scotland or elsewhere) is very different from bourbon.

"Scotch" is a generic catchall term for the type of whiskey that one finds in Scotland. It is made differently than bourbon and while you will find blended scotch frequently, it is traditionally associated with malt whiskey.
Yes, but the idea that scotch is somehow more refined or that bourbon is for moron college kids to take shots of is what the OP was implying and stupid.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yes, but the idea that scotch is somehow more refined or that bourbon is for moron college kids to take shots of is what the OP was implying and stupid.

Single Malt Scotch is much better drinking than something along the lines of most Bourbon.

I tend to avoid Scotch these days though, because it does make me nasty in general if I drink to much.

I like Gin Martini's or a Manhattan these days if I'm drinking with dinner in public myself.

Depends on the food.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
whoa, careful there. There is blended scotch whiskey and single malt scotch whiskey. bourbon itself is a blend, but is still not the same as blended scotch whiskey. single malt whiskey (whether it be from Scotland or elsewhere) is very different from bourbon.

"Scotch" is a generic catchall term for the type of whiskey that one finds in Scotland. It is made differently than bourbon and while you will find blended scotch frequently, it is traditionally associated with malt whiskey.

whoa whoa whoa..lol That would be whisky for scotch and whiskey for American bourbon as well as Irish whiskey.

Otherwise carry on! :tonguewink:

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016

My main drink is american and scotch whiskey and to get an american bourbon that tastes as smooth and refined as even many cheap scotch whisky's you have to spend a lot of money. In general from my past experience, scotch whisky is more refined but then again it depends on the island too.

I drink more bourbon than anything because I can buy a bottle fairly cheap and there are some good american bourbons for sure but if I want something special I open up my cabinet and pull out a 15 or 18+ bottle of scotch whisky and all is right in the world.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Beer. It tastes great and you get a good workout running back and forth to the refrigerator.

Reactions: Zanovar

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Ah, in that case I am with you. There are some excellent bourbons out there.

whoa whoa whoa..lol That would be whisky for scotch and whiskey for American bourbon as well as Irish whiskey.

Otherwise carry on! :tonguewink:

I wanted to do that--seriously, I did--but I thought it would be lost on the plebs. :(

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Single Malt Scotch is much better drinking than something along the lines of most Bourbon.

I tend to avoid Scotch these days though, because it does make me nasty in general if I drink to much.

I like Gin Martini's or a Manhattan these days if I'm drinking with dinner in public myself.

Depends on the food.
It is preference. I don't prefer bourbon myself because it is on the sweeter side, but to each his own. My point was that whiskey and whisky aren't meant for shots. They are meant for sipping neat.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Vodka with a lime.

I like beer, but it just makes me feel bloated and miserable.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Water if you really care, Beer if you are a student or haven't grown up yet & spirits if you are just plain nuts.

I am T-Total for many a year so water is my chosen "gaming" drink.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Water if you really care, Beer if you are a student or haven't grown up yet & spirits if you are just plain nuts.

I am T-Total for many a year so water is my chosen "gaming" drink.

LOL.*shrugs eyes*i can enjoy a beer without being a student.as for not groing up yet?.

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I voted scotch, I don't always drink scotch a lot but it's the closest, normally I'll have a cheap blend for drunken gaming like Grant's, Famous Grouse, Bell's or something like that.

Right now I actually have Cider to kick off the morning, gon get buzzed and then hit some R6 Siege up, we've had some absolutely hysterical games recently, messing about like derps with some randoms who have a sense of humour, but all competent enough to continually wreck other pubs. I can't even remember what we were laughing at the other night but I was dying with laughter and losing it in game but still almost unintentionally dominating the enemy, which for some reason just made it more funny and just one of those feedback loops.

Oh and bonus points for Dragon Soop, something we've found in the UK when getting booze for LAN parties which gets you started nicely, it's like an 8% 500ml can of energy drink but flavoured like an alchopop (with schnapps), the strawberry and lime are standard, if you want to get buzzed really fast slam one of them, but remember kids, NEVER DOUBLE DRAGON!

Right I've finished mine time for some R6, my U_Gay tag is Princess_Frosty

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Green tea (Gyokuro or matcha), black tea (Assam or Darjeeling), black coffee (or rarely with almond milk), energy drinks (Monster, NOS, Throttle), Diet Mountain Dew, black coffee, or water. Depends what I'm in the mood for, though I always periodically drink water.

I'm don't really drink alcoholic beverages - talking maybe a few times a year, at most - but when I do it's wine or vodka, and not really while gaming.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It depends on what I have on me. Frankly, I've found that I play FPS games a bit better when I'm tipsy like I'm some sort of Drunken Master or something. :sunglasses: I'm guessing it has to do with the alcohol helping to mellow me out as one of the worst things that you can do in a FPS is lose your composure.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Homemade lime soda:

Lime syrup:
Simple syrup: 1.25 cups of sugar + 1 cup of water, bring to a boil then shut off the heat
add the zest of 4 limes to the simple syrup, then chill in refrigerator or freezer, add 1 or 2 ice cubes to help it cool down

juice about 10 limes

mix the 2 together and strain into a 1 liter bottle, chill in the fridge.

The drink:
Pour a glass of seltzer over 1 or 2 ice cubes, then pour a little (a few tablespoons) of lime syrup to taste.

Very refreshing, good sweet and sour taste, no preservatives, no HFCS, no artificial colors or flavors.
note: The syrup must be kept refrigerated because it has no preservatives.

Last edited:

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
you forgot water as a choice.

although jack daniels was my goto drink for a while. except i could never figure out how all my save games wound up with my character pretty much dead the next day..

Reactions: disappoint