best disk benchmark?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The company I am working at is experiencing some performance problems and I suspect a network shared San problem. The guys that manage that are incompetant so I need to step up to the plate. Can you guys recommend a good free disk benchmarking tool? Thanks.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
What kind of workload, and what kind of performance problems? The mentioned programs are made to do synthetic testing on local drives, so getting the benchmark (traditional meaning) to compare to would be a trial unto itself.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
What kind of workload, and what kind of performance problems? The mentioned programs are made to do synthetic testing on local drives, so getting the benchmark (traditional meaning) to compare to would be a trial unto itself.
Basically the san seems like it's performing as fast as zip drive. I'm not even kidding. That's literally the speed it is going. The work load is actually quite modest. Maybe 2gb written a day. More than that in reads per day. About 20Million files.

We've been having problem recently where we cannot process a days files quick enough and a backlog of several hours will accrue. There doesn't seem to be any cpu resource contention problems on the server.

It's true that most disk benchmark software is meant for local disk but what other choices do I have? I don't really want to spend any of my own money on a network specific storage benchmark and I don't know of one either.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-nas-performance-toolkit/

Would that be of any help (32-bit only, though?)?

Are you just trying to prove that it really is this slow, or trying to find where the real problem is?

Are there any other network services that can be tested (such as basically doing a local DoS on a web interface, and checking performance/load during that)?

And, you're also 100% sure that all drives and arrays in it are in tip-top shape (I would hope a big vendor solution would annoy the Hell out of anyone near the server room if any weren't, but...)?

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-nas-performance-toolkit/

Would that be of any help (32-bit only, though?)?

Are you just trying to prove that it really is this slow, or trying to find where the real problem is?

Are there any other network services that can be tested (such as basically doing a local DoS on a web interface, and checking performance/load during that)?

And, you're also 100% sure that all drives and arrays in it are in tip-top shape (I would hope a big vendor solution would annoy the Hell out of anyone near the server room if any weren't, but...)?
I am only trying to prove that's it's really slow. I have no capability to find the real source of the problem since I have no direct access to the hardware or it's management interfaces. Any of those things you mention could be the problem and I don't have any way to checking.