Best Discovery Channel/BBC/NOVA/TLC ect.. Miniseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Need some recommendations. I have/seen the following...

Human Planet
Blue Planet
Life
Planet Earth
Life of Oceans
Yellowstone
Power Of The Planet
Last Chance To See
How The Earth Made Us
Into Alaska
Islands Of Scotland
Speed Of Life

Is there any other "must sees"

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Not that I know of, I was hoping this was us saying what we thought of as the best.

If that was the case I'd say Planet Earth, it rocked my socks. Hell, these documentaries make me respect and cherish Great Britain, they're that good.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
If you like history, the Barbarian and Barbarian II miniseries were great on the History Channel. I think those were the last great ones they produced.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Carl Sagan - Cosmos

. . . though I watched it when it was on TV, it's probably very dated now.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
tumblr_l6uv27cqqa1qaauhwo1_500.jpg

:hmm:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
- Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
- How The Universe Works
- Known Universe (new episodes starting in a few days on NatGeo, check out the webpage for more info)
- Raging Planet
- River Monsters - not a documentary in the strictest sense, but the host is a biologist/conservationist and discusses the surrounding habitats and other pertinent issues.

OP: Are you watching these via netflix or cable or ???

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I'll add the Nova special "Elegant Universe" with Brian Greene.

I understand that another Nova series on his second book "Fabric of the Cosmos" is in the works.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Ken Burns. A bit dry, but thorough and very informative. Loved the Civil War series.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Discovery Channel-When We Left Earth

Great series on spaceflight history. Available on netflix instant too.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Nova Science Now - Neil DeGrasse Tyson provides his unique perspective to cutting edge knowledge in all fields of science.

River Monsters - Is strangely engaging. I was surprised by this show.

Cosmos - This is terrific because it explores the history of science and cosmology, and Sagan is just brilliant and very accessible. Because of it's age, you may find that we have a better understanding of some things today, but overall the series is terrific. They even shot some updates for certain episodes, perhaps a decade or more from the time it aired, which clarify some points made in the show.

Elegant Universe - Seconded

The Universe - Is kind of overly dumbed down and repetitive, but still informative.

Auschwitz: Inside the NAZI State - Is fucking mindblowing, depressing, uplifting, highly detailed, and informative documentary on the NAZI death machine, and the people who were there.

Radio Bikini - Starts out a little slow, but as it unfolds provides a rare glimpse into the US atomic weapon testing program in the 1950s and 60s and its effects on those involved. It's not a series, but it is something not to miss.

World War II in Color - Marvelous and often sadly unreal!

Many of these are on Netflix instant, Hulu, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.