Best Device for Smart TV Apps? TV, Roku, 4k Player, etc.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Hi all,

Is there a general consensus as to the best device to use while watching "smart" TV?

I want to be able to reliably access Amazon and Netflix. I can currently do this via:

Samsung JS8500 4k TV (what I use currently)
Sony 4k UHD blu ray player
Play Station 3
Roku

I have lately found the apps via the Samsung TV interface to be a little buggy. Sometimes Amazon crashes, and not all buttons work.

Is there a general consensus as to the device that works best, and gets the most updates? I'm not opposed to buying a new device, if that's what it takes. I want something that is quick, easy, and has good support/constant updates of the app.

TYIA,

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We've used Roky units since 2013, and we are happy with them.

Our first unit began to struggle a bit about a year ago (outdated), so I tried the Amazon Fire TV, and by the 2nd day it would lock up, and have to be rebooted. Amazon sent me another one, but it was defective out the box, and the remotes wouldn't even sync to it, so I sent them both back and bought the Roku Premiere, and it has worked great since.

I really wanted to like the Amazon device since I had access to Prime Music, and the overall GUI was nicer and more modern looking, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter. ;)

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Shield...
Roku is decent but not as good as nvidia shield.
With shield you can install Kodi and stream with windows shares or nfs.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yep Nvidia Shield. 4K HDR and lossless audio playback support. HDR and Dolby Atmos from the Vudu app as well. Plex on the shield supports 4K HDR and lossless immersive audio (dts:x and atmos) from UHD rips as well if you are into that.

Amazon and Netflix both support 4K HDR too

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Absolutely nvidia shield. I've been trying to get by with my chromecast gen 1 and my roku 3. Doing anything with 4k on my plex server is a nightmare, and even some 1080p stuff is a pain.

I threw down on an nvidia shield on Tuesday. I haven't had a single hiccup on ANYTHING that i've thrown at it, and I've been trying to break it. Just get one and be done with it.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
TV apps are usually the worse because they are frozen in time. The Sony 4k should be OK for awhile but it will rely on Sony to update the apps. How old is the Roku ?

What ever way you go it will only be temporary.