Best cost effective KT7 HSF?

Braxus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any opinions? Don't really wanna spend too much for a HSF so what are the best options considering the room that is available on the KT7?

spec8472

Mar 27, 2000
the Chrome orbs can be modded to fit on the KT7 (you have to grind the base of a few fins)... not sure about cost effective-ness

take caution when installing the HSF, as quite a few people have crushed their CPU... Take Time, and Patience, Observe whats happening with it.

Braxus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm currently using a GlobalWin FHP08... Should I really consider getting a new HSF? My Duron 600 is currently running 950 virtually stable at around 60 degrees C. It only fails in Prime95 but I doubt that's a heat related issue as it fails upon the first few seconds of startup and the heatsink isn't really too warm yet.

Also... I've already chipped a corner on the Duron chip... Thank god it still works!

As for the chrome orb I heard it can be had for around $15 bucks? How far do you have to bend the capacitors in order for the sucker to fit?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
When they get them back in stock, CPU's for Less has the Alpha 6035 with a decent fan for only $25.99 + $3.55 Priority Mail shipping.

I personally tried an FOP32, and even with a 38 CFM Delta fan on it, did not cool as well as my Alpha. The clip on the Alpha is easy to install, and never makes me feel like I will damage the core.

The cooling of the Alpha with a Delta 38 CFM fan speaks for it's self in my system. After just looping the Quake3 demo in 1280x1024 high detail, the temperature was only 38 degrees Cel. It idles in the low 30's. I do have good case intake/exhaust also which helps. When it comes to cooling the heart of my system, I don't cut
corners.

EDIT: My voltage is set at 1.85

EDIT: I just ran a few more loops of Quake, and the temp was 37 Cel.

Temp after a few loops of Quake3

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Globalwin FOP32 and Alpha PAL6035 are about the same.
If you want cheap, a Chrome ORB or an Arctic Cooler would work just fine.
I have a Coolermaster, which isnt all THAT, but it does the job for only $10 :)

loogie

Banned
Oct 18, 1999
Arctic cooler is not cheap. The cooling is not as good as the alpha and globalwin. The benefit to the arctic cooler is its size and that its quiet. It is rather expensive though, assuming you can find one.