Best cooling for a Radeon 9500 Pro?

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
Hey, I'm looking for a new cooler to replace the stock fan on my radeon 9500 pro so that I can overclcock it safely. I'm not to interested in a zalman because I would need to get a fan blowing onto it somehow to reduce the temperature. Is there any way I could fit a 1U Athlon cooler onto it? And are there any good memory heatsinks that are cheaper than those tin-coated copper ones?

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
Don't want to pass out while gaming, now do I? But for real - does anyone have any suggestions. Any good ay to get a 1U Athlon cooler onto a card like this. Oh and I found some OK memory hetsinks from thermaltake, so I'm fine with that.

DallasTejas

Dec 11, 2000
Sorry about the blank post!

Why don't you keep the stock fan and augment it with a Zalman 80mm fan and bracket blowing down on it from the top. This will cool both the front and back as well as the surrounding area. It's the same fan/bracket combo that they use with the "flower" cpu cooler.

OR!! Get the Zalman heatpipe for your card and use the Zalman fan and bracket with it. That would be the ultimate solution.

NEXFAN has the best prices. I've bought a lot of stuff from them.

http://www.nexfan.com/43/cat43.htm?278

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
not sure if thermaltakes' line of orbs work on R300s...but many ppl use em for geforces; you might wanna check it out

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I suggest trying the overclocking first to see if any change in cooling is required. The original HSF is actually quite good and if you do not like the noise of a 50mm fan then just unplug it and mount a larger one behind the card, such as a low-speed 92mm Panaflo at reduced voltage.

The problem with replacing the HS is that the VPU is fitted with a protective metal ring who's height is made to match thermal tape. So, if you replace the HS with an after market one lacking a raised center it will either not mate with the core using thermal compound or likely won't perform much better if using tape.

The other advantage to using a fan blowing across the card is that it will cool everything, including the memory (no heatsinks required).

I agree the Zalman is the ultimate solution though and can obviously run with or without fan -perhaps switched for use with extreme overclocking while gaming.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dragon365
Hey, I'm looking for a new cooler to replace the stock fan on my radeon 9500 pro so that I can overclcock it safely. I'm not to interested in a zalman because I would need to get a fan blowing onto it somehow to reduce the temperature. Is there any way I could fit a 1U Athlon cooler onto it? And are there any good memory heatsinks that are cheaper than those tin-coated copper ones?

Yes there are several such 1 U cooling mods, you can do a search on the hardocp forums...I myself have modded my Radeon 9700 Pro with a Cooljag JAC313C 1U cooler, but it takes some drilling and grinding to get it to fit...if you're interested read about it here

Dragon365

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2002
Not into drilling my $200 video card, so i decided that I will go with a couple thermaltake ram heatsinks and a 92mm Zalman fan with the bracket. That should work well. Now I just need money. Thanks for your help guys!

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm curious why anyone would do that 1U and fan mod versus a noiseless Zalman heatsink for the same cost which can surely outperform anything, especially if still using a fan?

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would think a 1U cooler would cool better than Zalmann's heatpipe w/o a fan solution. Zalmann was never known for its high performance cooling solutions, but rather for their quiet ones. If not, try slapping that same heatpipe GPU cooler on a Athlon XP 2200+ and see if it runs :)

S13SilviaK

Jan 23, 2002
The Zalman hetapipe is great except for the fact that it won't fit in a SFF case. Other than that they are great.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, the Zalman uses the existing holes in the card and is very well engineered except for one niggly thing I noticed is that the top heatsink has one pair of screw holes that are inexplicably not counter-sunk as all the others. frostytech has a good pictorial review (despite the fact that they laughably claim in another article that ATI made a mistake with their heatsink/shim design which they "worked around" by using thermal tape).

Goi, maybe a 1U HS and fan can cool better than a Zalman sans fan but remove the fan from the 1U HS and it surely cools worse. Add the same fan to the Zalman and it probably cools better than the 1U HS and fan.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Auric
Yeah, the Zalman uses the existing holes in the card and is very well engineered except for one niggly thing I noticed is that the top heatsink has one pair of screw holes that are inexplicably not counter-sunk as all the others. frostytech has a good pictorial review (despite the fact that they laughably claim in another article that ATI made a mistake with their heatsink/shim design which they "worked around" by using thermal tape).

Goi, maybe a 1U HS and fan can cool better than a Zalman sans fan but remove the fan from the 1U HS and it surely cools worse. Add the same fan to the Zalman and it probably cools better than the 1U HS and fan.

You *may* be right, but I'm sorry I'm not convinced that this may be the case. Somehow I have more faith in the 1U cooler...perhaps a comparison review might prove me wrong? Until then my money's on the 1U cooler :)