Best controller for playing NES/SNES games?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I'm looking for a USB controller to play some older games. I need it to be compatible with Vista 64. What would you recommend?

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
gravis gamepad pro? or just get a usb to ps1/ps2 controller. those always work great.

if you want to go old-school, ive seen nes/snes usb adapters too.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Just get a 360 controller, then you can play older games and still have compatibility with analog ones.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can I get my wireless 360 controller working as a wired controller through the play & charge cable? When I plug it into my PC, it can charge, but Windows does not find drivers for it.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
My Playstation 2 controllers work great with a USB adapter for SNES games. My Wii classic controller works well too on the Wii VC also ;).

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
360 controller would suck balls for games that were designed to use the d-pad.

360 has the worst d-pad ever created. It's pretty much it's only flaw.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
Originally posted by: fr
Can I get my wireless 360 controller working as a wired controller through the play & charge cable? When I plug it into my PC, it can charge, but Windows does not find drivers for it.

No, that cable charges only, it doesn't work for playing games. You need the wireless dongle for the wireless controllers to work with your PC.

I use my wireless 360 controller on my pc and it works pretty well. Like someone said, the dpad isnt the best, especially for some of the fighters. For most games it works just fine though.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I tried a couple of controllers from Logitech and Microsoft, along with controllers from a few Concoles, and so far, personally, I prefer the original XBOX controller, the so called bulky one (poor Japs with their little hands huh ?). Simply because it is configured like an arcade buttons interface, all six "main" buttons aligned in two rows, which is also perfect for fighting games. And reminds me of the late "turbo" Sega Genesis controller with the six buttons, which at the time was my favorite (even though I really did liked the SNES one as well, but I always preferred playing Mortal Kombat on my Genesis with the six buttons controller).

So my vote goes for the original XBOX controller, or any third party controller that has a similar interface (six buttons in two rows).

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Xbox controller, it is USB just break out a soldering iron and look up XBCD (xbox controller driver) Probably best controller you can buy for the money or even better if you have an extra sitting around.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I'm using a Logitech that looks like a Playstation controller; $30 Canadian at Best Buy. Works pretty good for NES/Genesis/SNES games. Plug & play; requires no installation. I can't get the vibration to work with any emulators, but there's probably a way to do it.

edit: I know it works on Vista 32. Not sure about Vista 64.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm using a USB > Playstation 2 adapter and I hooked up the PS2 Dual Shock controller to it. Works great in XP (not sure about Vista).

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SOSTrooper
I'm using a USB > Playstation 2 adapter and I hooked up the PS2 Dual Shock controller to it. Works great in XP (not sure about Vista).

It works just as well in Vista. PS2 controller is the best simply because it has a better dpad than any other controller, which is crucial for those old nes/snes games. The button layout also mirrors the snes perfectly.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: SOSTrooper

It works just as well in Vista. PS2 controller is the best simply because it has a better dpad than any other controller, which is crucial for those old nes/snes games. The button layout also mirrors the snes perfectly.

QFT