Best controller for PC gaming on HDTV?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I got myself a nice 65" HDTV, that's hooked up to my PC as a second display.

There are lots of games that are fun to play with a controller, sitting on a couch. This is especially true for console ports.

What's a good wireless controller?

- Just get a Xbox controller? Does it hook into or USB or get a converter or sort?
-Or go the PS4 controller route?
-Or is there a popularly accepted PC controller by say, Logitech?

I'm looking to play games like Dark Souls on this (and upcoming GTA 5), so I presume the controller has to have a dual shock circular thingy.

Feel free to link directly to Amazon.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
PS3/360/PS4/XBOne controllers all work fine. The PS controllers require some dead simple 3rd party software. The Xbox controllers have Windows USB / wireless versions.

I slightly prefer a PS4 controller so that's what I use.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
XBox 360 or Xbox One controller. Both work on PC. The XBox One controller just plugs in with a standard micro USB cable to your USB port. There are wireless receivers available for an Xbox 360 controller to allow them to work on Windows.

I've used a 360 controller, PS4 controller, and XB1 controller. All work great.

My order of preference goes PS4 > XB1 > 360 in terms of controllers.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Feb 6, 2007
I've been using the wireless Xbox 360 controller for PC games on a TV for several years now, and it's great. Never any problems with drivers or lack of ingame support and it works perfectly with Steam's Big Picture Mode which is ideal for controlling things from your couch. I haven't actually tried the Xbone or PS4 controllers with a PC, so I can't speak to their utility, but the 360 controller works great.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I've used the 360 and xbox one controller.

I prefer the xbox one controller, just feels a bit tighter overall. But i'd rather have wireless and for now the xbox one has to be plugged in.

So for wireless just grab the 360 controller color of your choice and:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-xbox360/dp/B0076HD2W8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1421967968&sr=1-1&keywords=360+wireless+adapter&pebp=1421968001596&peasin=B0076HD2W8

Don't get that one. Get this: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...TMK8CRS8CT6ZXX

It is put out by microsoft, is plug and play, and has full support. I got one and 2 other xbox 360 controllers from my fiance's brother, so I have 3 controllers and a cheap wired logitech controller for 4 player multiplayer on indie games :)

Only get a third party dongle like the one I'm quoting if you already have a bunch of console controllers and just want to spend the 10-15 bucks. Those get pretty good reviews.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Awesome, I'll get the Xbox 360 wireless controller.

I just want to say, Dark Souls PC port is some next-level retardation. How does anyone with an ounce of common sense put this out as a 'port'?

I don't even the WTF 'A' or 'B' buttons are. They're not even mentioned in the menu nor the key mapping. How do you fvck it up this hard?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
any wired x360 controller works. It doesn't have to say "designed for windows." That is some Monster-cables level marketing horseshit to get you to buy an extra one if you already have one for a 360.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
I'm loving my Xbone controller, they seemed to have fixed all the problems with the 360 controller.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
360 wireless controller with wireless receiver.

It works perfectly, no issues and is amazing.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
any wired x360 controller works. It doesn't have to say "designed for windows." That is some Monster-cables level marketing horseshit to get you to buy an extra one if you already have one for a 360.

If you buy the wireless xbox 360 for windows controller, its dongle will accept any wireless xbox 360 controller, up to four players. My fiance, her brother and I played some epic towerfall ascension battles on wireless xbox 360 controllers last weekend and it was awesome.

mw8t

Jan 16, 2015
Slight hijack but for those using PS4 controller over Bluetooth on PC: I am running Win 8.1 and in 'Bluetooth Settings' it discovers the controller just fine but then when I click 'Next' it trys to pair then fails. It doesn't ask for a pairing code just trys to pair then fails.

What am I doing wrong?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Slight hijack but for those using PS4 controller over Bluetooth on PC: I am running Win 8.1 and in 'Bluetooth Settings' it discovers the controller just fine but then when I click 'Next' it trys to pair then fails. It doesn't ask for a pairing code just trys to pair then fails.

What am I doing wrong?

Try this? I have heard that broadcom bluetooth chipsets don't work nicely with the DS4

To pair the DS4 with your computer, first put the controller into pairing mode by press and HOLDING the Playstation button and Share button at the same time. Hold these buttons until the light bar starts rapidly flashing.

Then go into your bluetooth menu and chose "Add Device". Select the "Wireless Controller" that pops up and chose "Pair". Once the pairing completes you should see your controller in your games menus.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I got a 360, Logitech F710, XB1 and PS4 controller and my choice for PC is the PS4 with the SCP DS4 tool- works wonders and feels great. It bugs me that the XB1 controller has to be plugged in.

My wifi card with bluetooth doesn't play nice with the DS4, however an Insignia bluetooth dongole works fine. Also my laptop works great with the controller as well.

And the F710 is probably the worst controller I've used in a long time, has major input lag and the analog sticks has a bit too much resistance.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
My preference is PS4 Controller > Xbox One Controller > 360 Controller. The PS4 Controller has very easy to reach triggers which gives less finger strain although the Xbox One controller has a softer trigger press.

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
I use motion joy to use mouse and navigation controller (I hope someone remember them). It's always a good idea to go for mmo style(or something with 7-12 buttons) mouse. For some games like shadow of mordor, you will need a lot of hit n trial but results are great. Convenience of joystick movement and accuracy of a mouse.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
360 is by far the easiest, there is native support and wireless. I would like to use my Xbone controller but MS doesn't seem to want to make a wireless adapter for it.

This also made me research wireless USB. Why don't we have protocol independent wireless USB yet?

Haven't tried any PS controllers yet.

What's the best Bluetooth dongle for that?

mw8t

Jan 16, 2015
Try this? I have heard that broadcom bluetooth chipsets don't work nicely with the DS4

Yeah I've don't that it just endlessly tries to pair. I've read elsewhere on the internet that you have to enter the pairing code '0000' but it never asks for it :/

360 is by far the easiest, there is native support and wireless. I would like to use my Xbone controller but MS doesn't seem to want to make a wireless adapter for it.

This also made me research wireless USB. Why don't we have protocol independent wireless USB yet?

Haven't tried any PS controllers yet.

What's the best Bluetooth dongle for that?

Would also like to know. I am using a CSR dongle and having problems.

Last edited: