Best compact camera at the moment?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am not sure if I want to go to those compacts that have large lenses, but some of the latest pancake styles are surprisingly small with great sensors like the Canon G1X.

I have been out of the loop a bit, but my wife loves her S95 (and still uses her smaller SD780 at times or her iPhone). I tend to get a more fully featured camera to use for special occasions when I still want it nearly pocketable. I had a A650IS that was stolen that was great.

I have been debating getting another compact, but like the depth of field some of these newer compacts are giving without sacrificing much size. It seems like there are millions of them though.

Anyone been down this path lately?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I looked at that Sony. Two of the things I thought were cool was the popup flash to eliminate shadowing by the lens extending and the f1.8 lens plus it being a Ziess.

One of the things I'd like is a bit of wide angle ~24mm or so...this sort of makes these newer ultra compacts that take real lenses sort of cool. I can pop a pancake on them and do the two-step to 'zoom' in for common snap shot needs like say pictures at a bar gathering or theme park and if I need it, get a nice telephoto and lug it around (like a concert or game, but in reality I think most concert venues are banning all detachable lenses currently in my area)

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
the sony rx100 is current wishlist item. I am seriously thinking about buying it at the end of the month.

I have a canon elph and a 300d now. 300d takes great photos but is a pain to carry around. I am hoping the sony will be the best of both worlds. Every review I have seen about this camera has been stellar.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Do you guys know when and where is the best place to buy a camera? I looked at my local costco and they do not have the rx100 in stock. I was thinking amazon but that is just to save on taxes.

jdcooper

Sep 6, 2012
The RX100 is an awesome little camera, and in fact I have been very impressed with all of the recent Sony cameras. I got a chance to shoot 100+ pics with one recently, and while the Sony firmware required a little getting used to for a habitual Canon user like me, I really liked it. My friend who had purchased it ended up returning it for an A57, which is truly awesome. The only minor quibble I have with it is that the flash seems very flimsily attached.

I have two friends that are shooting the Fuji X100. Both of them are foaming at the mouth about it. And the images they are producing are extraordinary. I'd recommend checking it out if you're in the market for this class of camera.

Personally, I have a Canon S100 which when shooting RAW produces really darn good images and it is truly teeny--maybe twice the volume of an iPhone--so it is always there when I need it and I never have to worry about carrying it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My new work camera is an RX100. My initial impression, based on a solid two days with the camera, is that it is a solid little (tiny) camera that takes nice pics. This is the first Sony I've used so the menu system is new to me and therefore a bit cumbersome right now. Once I decide how to set up the Fn button menu this should become less a concern. My only gripe at the moment is that it doesn't seem to be possible to use the macro focus range in aperture priority mode. Macro range is active in auto+ and macro scene modes but not the other modes. Hopefully I can find a way to make this work. Colors tend toward the vivid, over-saturated look compared to the G9, LX5, and D90 I'm used to working with. The front control ring is okay but only replaces the top control ring found on other cameras so is a net neutral.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Just got my RX100 in the mail on Saturday and took it out saturday night for some fun shooting. I was surprised at how quick the camera took photos. In low light the camera is amazing. This is all relative for a point and shoot. Of course the larger slr will probably be superior.

Some other forum have had gripes about its size. I got the sony form fitting case and I agree with some that it is a bit large compared to a canon elph. But I was easily able to fit in my pants pocket with the case on. I don't think I could fit comfortbaly in skinny jeans however boot cut pockets are fine.
If you have the 600 to buy this camera. I def suggest it. It blew me away this weekend.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i know this is an old thread, but I gotta say, my ISO 3200 settings on my fuji x100 rivals my 5D Mark 2... it's quite spectacular..

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Anyone see the price on the RX100 going down...the S95/S100 seems to be a better overall camera esp when price is considered.

I don't know how much a difference the real shot to shot times are and speed of AF for the RX100 vs S.

Shooting in low light, having decent shot to shot times and a wide angle (24mm I like) are really my main requirements.

I can sneaker zoom, carry extra batteries, memory, etc for other short comings. I don't really use a flash for my needs and often leave it off.

Also thinking about it all I always carried a small bag anyway with my A650IS...however, compact performance is so good I'd love to be able to get by with a pocket cam or belt case only.

Looking to score something on Black Friday possibly.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
RX100 is good but at that price you could get far more powerful "system" cameras with a spare lens, with better autofocus and low light performance, etc. RX100 = huge premium for compactness.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
RX100 is good but at that price you could get far more powerful "system" cameras with a spare lens, with better autofocus and low light performance, etc. RX100 = huge premium for compactness.

I realize it's in the dSLR range. I am still trying to stay compact and with one lens if anything.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Anyone see the price on the RX100 going down...the S95/S100 seems to be a better overall camera esp when price is considered.

I don't know how much a difference the real shot to shot times are and speed of AF for the RX100 vs S.

Shooting in low light, having decent shot to shot times and a wide angle (24mm I like) are really my main requirements.

I can sneaker zoom, carry extra batteries, memory, etc for other short comings. I don't really use a flash for my needs and often leave it off.

Also thinking about it all I always carried a small bag anyway with my A650IS...however, compact performance is so good I'd love to be able to get by with a pocket cam or belt case only.

Looking to score something on Black Friday possibly.

The S95/S100 is a great camera, and also it's 24mm wide (vs 28mm on the RX100), so it's convenient for landscape/group photos.

You mention the f/1.8 on the RX100. The S95/100 is f/2.0 @ 24mm.
Doesn't seem like too big of a deal, right?
However, since the RX and S are using different sensor sizes, when you convert the aperture equivalent to that of a FF, you get:

RX -- 28-100mm f/4.9-13.4
vs
S --- 24-120mm f/9.3-27.4

Go here and check out the middle graph/table:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
The RX100 seems like it's going to be a great P&S camera. Seeing comparisons between the RX100 and the V1, the IQ is very similar and perhaps better high ISO performance, but with very typical P&S autofocus and it will take an OOF shot where the V1 will not. Even so, it sounds really super as a pocketable P&S @ about 40% smaller than the V1.

I love the S95 and would not replace it with the RX100, simply because the S95 is a great camera and the difference isn't worth an upgrade. If I were buying new, I'm not sure I would pay $680 for the RX100 when a new S95 is $350.

Here is a quick snap after church last week with the S95:

8066863605_b88b61318d_z.jpg

JR

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I just mounted this grip on the RX100. With a solid ten minutes shooting with the grip I highly recommend it to anyone buying the RX100. It makes in much easier to hold the camera with less likelihood of having it slip.

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
The RX100 seems like it's going to be a great P&S camera. Seeing comparisons between the RX100 and the V1, the IQ is very similar and perhaps better high ISO performance, but with very typical P&S autofocus and it will take an OOF shot where the V1 will not. Even so, it sounds really super as a pocketable P&S @ about 40% smaller than the V1.

I love the S95 and would not replace it with the RX100, simply because the S95 is a great camera and the difference isn't worth an upgrade. If I were buying new, I'm not sure I would pay $680 for the RX100 when a new S95 is $350.

Here is a quick snap after church last week with the S95:

8066863605_b88b61318d_z.jpg

JR

canon was selling the s95 refursbish this past weekend for $178 plus taxes with free shipping.