best cold air intake for rsx? (ricer jokes welcome)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
CAI is a performance mod, nothing rice about it, all you rice haters can go elsewhere to find a bone to pick on.

Don't jump on the bandwagon and yell rice just for the hell of it, when you don't even know jack about what you're talking about.

And the comment about sticker adding 40hp
rolleye.gif
haha?? The funny metre's definitely broken 'cause I ain't laughing at the joke, just at you.
Read the title of the thread, it's OT, he said so, we responded.

If you noticed all the jokes are quite exaggerated.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
CAI is a performance mod, nothing rice about it
Actually, it is rice because when you pop the hood, you see a big shiney pipe with the AEM logo written on it. People buy it so they can say they have something by AEM... as if it could be compared to the AEM EMS product...

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
try this first

CAI usually do provide measurable gains, but you also run the risk of hydrolock and the generally crappier filtering of cone filters.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: OS
try this first

CAI usually do provide measurable gains, but you also run the risk of hydrolock and the generally crappier filtering of cone filters.

airbox mods are popular on the maxima too. i have mine 'ported' aka a big gaping hole cut in the side. its essentially a hot air intake. and proven on the dyno to provide pretty much the same performance as a real intake. and its free. :D :D

and here is where i rag on people cause im too poor to afford stuff. my hacked air box looks stock. ricers.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: tranceport
eat rice.
You know that a tuned K20A2 engine (the RSX-S engine) can provide 320WHP without forced induction or nitrous?

Wanna take a st@b at how much power a LS6 (Z06 motor) can prodvide without FI or Nitrous?

Anyways, from what I hear AEM is probably the best route to go for a CAI. I don't know why thats the only mod you'd do as it won't provide much in the way of a power boost.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
Since when is a CAI rice?
Rice is ugly body kits, big ugly parkbench wings, altezzas, and/or 20"+ wheels.
A CAI is an an actual performance mod, and an RSX-S is a car with respectable performance numbers.

All the recommendations here are good. I just put an Injen CAI on my GF's 2.5RS, and my sensitive butt-dyno says it was a good improvement.

18"+ wheels .

Why would you buy one of those intakes? Can't you get the same results from a home made one?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Rent
eat rice.
You know that a tuned K20A2 engine (the RSX-S engine) can provide 320WHP without forced induction or nitrous?

Wanna take a st@b at how much power a LS6 (Z06 motor) can prodvide without FI or Nitrous?

Anyways, from what I hear AEM is probably the best route to go for a CAI. I don't know why thats the only mod you'd do as it won't provide much in the way of a power boost.

man, why you gotta turn this into a dick waving contest. Those cars aren't even in the same league. :p

KhoiFather

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
eat rice.

man, why you gotta turn this into a dick waving contest. Those cars aren't even in the same league. :p

Seriously, the RSX-S is a four banger and the Camaro is what, a V8? V8 this, V8 that, it doesn't matter. Four bangers can still beat it, look at all those 10 seconds cars in NHRA.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: KhoiFather
eat rice.

Seriously, the RSX-S is a four banger and the Camaro is what, a V8? V8 this, V8 that, it doesn't matter. Four bangers can still beat it, look at all those 10 seconds cars in NHRA.

You're not helping by turning it into an even bigger dick waving contest. BTW just for the record, LS1's are streetable in 10 second form. 10 second 4 bangers generally are not. :p

*waves penis pump enhanced dick*

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
just cut the end of the intake off right before the filter so there is just a big whole at the end. that'll give you 50+hp and it's free.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: KhoiFather
eat rice.

Enough money into any kind of engine will make it faster than most. i dont know why people are comparing a V8 with a 4 banger since its in totally different classes... i dont know why these arguments pop up anyway. this is better... that is better. uh yeah... ok.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Taggart
Best cold air intake for 2002 RSX-S? That's probably the only mod I'm going to do.

NIce car. I am actually considering in purchasing one down the road :)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

With average recorded gains of 18.5 horsepower, and more useable power across the rpm range, AEM?s V2 intake is the most powerful air induction system available for the Acura RSX Type-S.

:Q

Yeah, but look at the torque curve ;) :p
Besides, free mods on my DSM (i.e. open dump tube, remove boost control solenoid, hack air can/mas) provide far more than 18.5 HP, so I'm not too impressed by that ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
eat rice.
who cares?

I do. I had no idea. I'm gonna try to get it up to at least 250:D
That shouldn't cost more than, oh, $50k ;) Not that you'll listen, but I'd recommend taking the money you want to spend on mods and throwing it in a bank account. Then, when the time is right, you can sell your moderately fast car now for something with some real power using its sale price + the bank money. Then you've got a much nicer car, which runs a lot faster, and doesn't have thousands of dollars worth of mods (mods that aren't worth a nickel when you sell it unless you take them off and pawn them on ebay for pennies on the dollar).

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
eat rice.
who cares?

That shouldn't cost more than, oh, $50k ;) Not that you'll listen, but I'd recommend taking the money you want to spend on mods and throwing it in a bank account. Then, when the time is right, you can sell your moderately fast car now for something with some real power using its sale price + the bank money. Then you've got a much nicer car, which runs a lot faster, and doesn't have thousands of dollars worth of mods (mods that aren't worth a nickel when you sell it unless you take them off and pawn them on ebay for pennies on the dollar).

It won't cost *that* much... If you want to make real power while staying naturally aspirated, go get a nice head and cam package from Toda or the like. That'll free up some serious power :) You'll need to add supporting mods such as exhaust, fuel delivery (pump, rail, injectors, fpr), fuel tuning/vtec controller, suspension, blah blah blah.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
eat rice.
who cares?

It won't cost *that* much... If you want to make real power while staying naturally aspirated, go get a nice head and cam package from Toda or the like. That'll free up some serious power :) You'll need to add supporting mods such as exhaust, fuel delivery (pump, rail, injectors, fpr), fuel tuning/vtec controller, suspension, blah blah blah.

If he's looking for 250 at the crank you wouldn't even need the fuel upgrades. Cams, headwork, exhaust and intake will do the trick. Can't use VTEC controllers tho. This iVTEC is far different from old-school VTEC.

efript

Aug 17, 2002
why would you ask this question on anandtech... the people here are mostly idiots and know nothing about cars. go to clubrsx.com, they have a lot of info. o, and im a big fan of the rsx-s, great cars for the price.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: NutBucket
eat rice.
who cares?

If he's looking for 250 at the crank you wouldn't even need the fuel upgrades. Cams, headwork, exhaust and intake will do the trick. Can't use VTEC controllers tho. This iVTEC is far different from old-school VTEC.

I'm sure all the tuner companies are working on iVTEC controllers if no one has one yet ;) Are you *sure* fuel mods would be unnecessary? Since he's staying NA I'm more likely to believe you but a 25% increase in HP generally would warrant fuel upgrades on most cars...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: efript
why would you ask this question on anandtech... the people here are mostly idiots and know nothing about cars. go to clubrsx.com, they have a lot of info. o, and im a big fan of the rsx-s, great cars for the price.

Did you actually read the thread, or are you just making an ass-umption, asshat?
rolleye.gif

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I'm sure all the tuner companies are working on iVTEC controllers if no one has one yet ;) Are you *sure* fuel mods would be unnecessary? Since he's staying NA I'm more likely to believe you but a 25% increase in HP generally would warrant fuel upgrades on most cars...

I figure they are as well, but the fact it changes cam timing/phasing as well as profiles makes it far more complex. I believe it also changes depending on how hard you drive and such. Anyway, I don't think he'd need to upgrade fuel components. However, I think an APEXi SAFC or similar would be needed.