Best coffee maker that's not silly expensive

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Okay, my wife and I just went through this. We settled on this Hamilton Beach. 90 bucks with free shipping with Prime

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...n+beach+coffee

It does regular pot, single serve and K-Cup.

All work well. Some one said that hamilton beach does have an inbuilt measuring, but this one does on the side.

We have had it for about two months and love it.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I use the mesh drain cover from my bathtub to pour hot water over the ground coffee beans - sure, it is caked with body/pubic hair, but, it has been washed,.. technically.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We just purchased a Chemex and LOVE it. It takes a bit more time to brew, so it's reserved for weekends only (the only time we drink coffee at home).

Mar 15, 2003
Okay, my wife and I just went through this. We settled on this Hamilton Beach. 90 bucks with free shipping with Prime

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...n+beach+coffee

It does regular pot, single serve and K-Cup.

All work well. Some one said that hamilton beach does have an inbuilt measuring, but this one does on the side.

We have had it for about two months and love it.

Dude, that's kinda awesome! Had no idea that existed, but that bunn velocity sure is tempting..

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I can't do the condensed milk. Shit is like candy. why do people put sugar in their coffee?

vietnamese coffee (i.e. cafe sua da) uses a lower quality coffee that is more bitter but contains more caffeine

thus the addition of condensed milk to get rid of the shitty taste, with the added bonus of getting you crazy wired due to increased caffeine levels + sugar rush.

you do NOT use fine $20/lb coffee that you can drink black for use in cafe sua da, you use shitty $8/lb cafe du monde or get some robusta beans from VN.

consider yourselves learned.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As an adult, if coffee tastes so bad that you have to "mask it", don't fucking drink it.

I give my fiance a hard time about her polluted coffee on a daily basis, she always says its like how to her, coffee is an ingrediant rather than the finished product. Imagine if you had an awesome batch of chilli. I would eat that as is and love it. She would add cheese to it.

For her, cream/sugar in the coffee is like adding cheese to a bowl of chilli....

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
For her, cream/sugar in the coffee is like adding cheese to a bowl of chilli....

that's the way it is outside of the states too. milk + coffee or milk + tea is the common way of drinking tea/coffee in India. They look at me weird when I ask for coffee black.

and you don't eat chili with condiments? :colbert:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I give my fiance a hard time about her polluted coffee on a daily basis, she always says its like how to her, coffee is an ingrediant rather than the finished product. Imagine if you had an awesome batch of chilli. I would eat that as is and love it. She would add cheese to it.

But, the difference is it is highly likely she puts enough milk and sugar to mask the flavor of the coffee altogether. If she were to stuff enough cheese and onions in a bowl of chili that it only tastes like onions and cheese, I'd say it was equally stupid. Just mix the onions and cheese together and forgo the chili for those that actually enjoy it. Same with coffee. I had a friend that did the same thing with tea. She would put so much lemon and sugar, it might as well have been lemonade.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
when you go months at a time where your only caffeine option is coffee, you make it work.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/BC-Classics-BC.../dp/B0034U2PD8
this one goes down to $25 sometimes. and just pointing out none of these moka pots make true espresso, but a nice strong coffee.

Thanks for that.

Hmm.

I came very close to getting one of these to try out, but went the Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT myself.

BUNN HG Phase Brew 8-Cup Home Coffee Brewer

http://www.amazon.com/BUNN-HG-Phase-...fee+maker+Bunn

If I wanted to spend $100 bucks for a coffee maker I would have given it a shot I guess.

I have trouble seeing how a Burr grinder might make a difference, but me I guess.

I usually even use it for spices these days but this has been one of the best things I've ever picked up for the price many years ago, the little ah heck will turn things to dust for a rub if you want to rapidly.

I think when I bought mine years back spices weren't even mentioned.

It more or less just how long you hold the top down.

KRUPS F20342 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, Black

http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-F20342-E...R4E5HC7RDPV23M

I guess I usually use it for spices though, and just buy the coffee preground.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
We have a Bunn, and we love it because it makes a pot in 3 minutes and it's an indestructible beast. Landfills around the country are littered with the cheap Mr. Coffee style drip makers we wore out.

same here. love the thing and have had it for about 17 years.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I once saw somebody put ketchup on a hot dog! Imagine my horror! I hate when people ruin perfectly good food or drinks :(

I'm sorry but watch this video and tell me with a straight face that hot dogs are good food. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice hot dog occasionally but good food it ain't.

I like my hot dogs with relish, a little bit of ketchup and a little bit of mustard.

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Dude, that's kinda awesome! Had no idea that existed, but that bunn velocity sure is tempting..

I never wanted a K-cup, just too expensive per cup, but this gave me the option if I wanted to try it. but with the single serve option I can still just get my one cup before my wife wakes up and I go to work.
My favorite coffee maker so far. Again we love it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
But, the difference is it is highly likely she puts enough milk and sugar to mask the flavor of the coffee altogether. If she were to stuff enough cheese and onions in a bowl of chili that it only tastes like onions and cheese, I'd say it was equally stupid. Just mix the onions and cheese together and forgo the chili for those that actually enjoy it. Same with coffee. I had a friend that did the same thing with tea. She would put so much lemon and sugar, it might as well have been lemonade.

This. I've never understood the point of "sweet" coffee anyway unless it's part of a dessert. In my mind coffee is a strong, bracing drink that wakes you up and gets you going, the bitterness of black coffee is part of that effect; sweetening it would be like taking 2 cylinders out of your engine or putting extra sugar in your beer. Not to mention sugar in coffee essentially eliminates most of the health benefits. Ditto with tea.

Mar 15, 2003
**update**

After intense deliberations (and after reading some bad bunn experiences including leaks), I went with this unit: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/pro...rind-and-brew-automatic-coffeemaker-dgb-900bc

Brewing at the optimal temperature's nice, as is the attached burr grinder. A flaw seems to be that the carafe only seems to keep coffee hot for an hour, but since we'll mostly be pouring coffee into a thermos for our workday we should be fine. Thanks for all of the input, when the keurig eventually croaks I'm replacing it with a hamilton beach, as suggested.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I don't think Good Housekeeping is thorough enough in their testing...or something is off. For example, they say the Bonavita doesn't brew hot enough. Every professional I've read says the exact opposite. And a "pro" for the Behmor BraZen Brewer is the "brewed coffee is very hot". Are these teenagers writing reviews? Obviously the brewed coffee is very hot if the machine is brewing at the right temperature.