Best coffee maker that's not silly expensive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The Bunn is fast, but wastes energy. My favorite coffee maker is an electroperc from the thrift shop. I recently bought another one in case the one I'm currently using goes up. The newer Chinese makers aren't as good as the American ones from the reviews I've read.

I've used mine for about 15 years, and I don't know how old it was before I got it. No filters, no hassles. It Just Works™

Wastes energy? Not really...but it DOES use electricity to keep the water hot at all times. (I guess that might be "waste" to some people...but not for us)

We've used Bunn coffee makers for almost 30 years. I'd hate to go back to having to wait 15-20 minutes for a cup of coffee in the morning.

It takes about 5 minutes from start to finish...rinse pot, empty grounds out of basket, add filter and new grounds, add water....tick-tock-tick-tock...COFFEE! (actually, about 3 minutes from the time I pour in the water)

Our current Bunn is about 14 years old...and still going strong. We've had two others...our first one...gave it to our daughter when we bought this one...and one we got from my mom when she moved in with us. Gave that one away to some friends.
A bit of maintenance is all that's required to keep these things working almost forever.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Exactly! I've just been tired of buying disposable crap, I've had coffee makers melt on me, water leaks, and heating elements give out. Bunn looks to be the winner

We have been through 2 Bunn units the velocity BXW and BXB both started leaking they did last about 5 years each though.... After that we pulled an old Mr Coffee out of the basement I used at an old job for 3 years that was almost 3 years ago():)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I use a porcelain cone over a pint coffee mug, plus an electric kettle for the water.

Start kettle to boil water. Put #4 filter in cone. Add coffee to taste. Put cone on mug. Pour water in cone. Wait about 3 minutes. Voila!

Cleanup is easy: dump the filter, rinse the cone.

uclabachelor

Nov 9, 2009
I would personally spend money on a good conical burr coffee grinder. Having consistently grounded beans with a $100 grinder and a $40 coffee maker will taste 10000x better than having grounded beans from a spice grinder with a $400 coffee maker.

But to answer your question, the Bonavita coffee maker makes excellent coffee. It's simple, doesn't have anything fancy, and gets the job done.

iroast

Golden Member
May 5, 2005
Aeropress: @$30
or
one of hose pour-overs mentioned in this thread.

Pharos manual grinder: $245
or
OE LIDO 2 Manual: $175

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Last edited:

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
I've heard great things about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV180...s=coffee+maker

I have an espresso machine and a Chemex.

For drip coffee machines, this is king for cost. Really amazing quality and temp control that isn't matched until you're spending technivorm type money.

I'll be honest, a family member of mine owns the only company that can distribute these in America so I know a lot about their sale value. The cheapest I've seen it was $130, but even $160 is a bit of a steal. Its quality is such that it probably could be sold for more, but this is what Bonavita has decided to retail it at.

My only gripes with the machine are minor. One, the lid is a bit of a pain to clean and you have to be thorough with it. Two, the automatic timer is great most of the times, but if you have lots of guests over and one pot goes immediately... you may forget that the machine is still on and the second you pour new water in... KERSPLOOSH.

I thought I'd hate having an 8 cup machines but my wife and I get 2 mugs each every morning and we really shouldn't have more than that anyway.

jwhorfin

Aug 13, 2005
We have one of those, and they work pretty ok. But we're also trying to save $$ and flasking to avoid our $20 a day starbucks habit. Brewing a 10-12 cupper between the two of us is easier than making multiple multiple single servings, especially before work.

I should have expanded my reply. We go with the Keurig during the week because we drink less and always seemed to be throwing away a little with the drip. It seems like less waste using the Keurig. Grounds go farther.
I also would say to me the Keurig with Chock Full o' Nuts being used seems to make a more espresso type (stronger) cup. The drip is smoother tasting to me.

The weekend we drink more even at night and although it makes my coffee connoisseur brother in-law shudder that I don't mind reheating from the drip in the microwave throughout the day.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Corning Ware Coffee Percolator (eBay $20 - $35)

CorningWare_Coffee_Percolator.JPG

A Turkish Coffee Pot, Ibrik, Cezve, or Ibriq

turkish-coffee-pots.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Are you open to French Press? If so I've used this one for over 2 years without issue:
http://www.amazon.com/GROSCHE-MADRID...s=French+Press

If not, just make sure the maker heats the water to at least 200 degrees. Most cheaper coffee makers don't heat the water hot enough, and while you probably won't care if you're just going for a wake-up jolt there is a substantial difference in taste side-by-side.

Edit: National Coffee Association of America recommends 195-205 degrees.
http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=71

Water Temperature During Brewing

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, underextracted coffee while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. If you are brewing the coffee manually, let the water come to a full boil, but do not overboil. Turn off the heat source and allow the water to rest a minute before pouring it over the grounds.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Bought one of these last week, but the wife wanted it in red and they didn't sell them other than stainless on Amazon and WalMart had one in red.

The only reason even bought one was the coffee pot at work broke, and I wanted a new one at home and donated my old Black and Decker to work.

She wanted a Keurig actually, but seemed a waste of money to me, my step sister has one and ORLY.

I guess the place she works is getting one, she can do it there :)

I'd do the French Press before that, and a few things.

They do seem to be one of the highest rated ones there, and it's working well here.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-BVMC...s=coffee+maker

Still almost wish I'd tried out a French Press, but nah.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Are you open to French Press? If so I've used this one for over 2 years without issue:
http://www.amazon.com/GROSCHE-MADRID...s=French+Press

If not, just make sure the maker heats the water to at least 200 degrees. Most cheaper coffee makers don't heat the water hot enough, and while you probably won't care if you're just going for a wake-up jolt there is a substantial difference in taste side-by-side.

Yeah saw that right after I posted, I'd considered one.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006

I still remember my grandmother, who once owned her own restaurant, standing with all five fingertips firmly pressed against a Mr. Coffee hot plate complaining that it didn't get hot enough.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I love Expresso and saw this the other day and was a bit intrigued.

Might try one out in the future.

Aroma AEM-621SS Hot Moka X-Press Electric Moka Maker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9ZIS/...I1HLG0EK7X8TQO

Not coffee in the usual since, but not break the bank either.

It's just on the wish list I guess, probably will never get one.

And the Mr Coffee I just bought you wouldn't do that too or you'd get scorched, things do change I guess :)

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Edit: National Coffee Association of America recommends 195-205 degrees.
http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=71
That's why you buy one that's SCAA certified...like the Moccamaster and Bonavita :)

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
I love Expresso and saw this the other day and was a bit intrigued.

Might try one out in the future.

Aroma AEM-621SS Hot Moka X-Press Electric Moka Maker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9ZIS/...I1HLG0EK7X8TQO

Not coffee in the usual since, but not break the bank either.

It's just on the wish list I guess, probably will never get one.

And the Mr Coffee I just bought you wouldn't do that too or you'd get scorched, things do change I guess :)

http://www.amazon.com/BC-Classics-BC.../dp/B0034U2PD8
this one goes down to $25 sometimes. and just pointing out none of these moka pots make true espresso, but a nice strong coffee.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I liked my Keurig a lot when it was just me and I was only drinking 2-3 cups/week... shit gets expensive, though, now that there's two of us and we're putting away 4 cups every morning plus another 5-6 on weekends (my BF likes to fill up a thermos with coffee every morning and take it to work)