Best choice for LGA 1156 CPU?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I have an old HP 8100 SFF laying around. It has an i5-650 in it, and I was wondering if I have any options at all for an upgrade.

I am not really sure what I need it for. I just feel like doing this if I can. As I understand even an i7 of that generation will be pretty slow, so I was wondering if there are any Xeon mods or anything like that for that platform. Needless to say an HP mobo will not overclock so that option is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My first thought is, why bother?

My second thought is, what about an i7, but resale prices of the top SKU for each CPU platform, usually aren't what you would call price/performance leaders. I don't know much about 1156 Xeons, I would be interested to find out more about them.

Reactions: Drazick

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
You'd have to look at what other CPU's you could find in that model to see if you can upgrade to anything. Check for latest available bios etc. also. That i5 650 was only 73W and all the other regular i7's were 95W or so. The bios might not support higher wattage i7 chips at all, especially in a SFF chassis.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
I have a HP HPE-430f with Intel Core i5-650. I upgraded to i7-870, but whether because motherboard was not cooperating (power limit?), or the original Turbo Boost was not aggressive, the i7 stayed at base frequency at load.

HP looks pretty forth-coming with regards to processor upgrades; your computer supports Lynnfield Core i7-860 and 870: https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c02030590

Note that moving from i5-650 to i7-860 requires a dedicated GPU, as Lynnfield didn't integrate one.

Reactions: richierich1212

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I have an old HP 8100 SFF laying around. It has an i5-650 in it, and I was wondering if I have any options at all for an upgrade.

I am not really sure what I need it for. I just feel like doing this if I can. As I understand even an i7 of that generation will be pretty slow, so I was wondering if there are any Xeon mods or anything like that for that platform. Needless to say an HP mobo will not overclock so that option is out.

Since I still own such an i7 I can say it isn't really slow in normal usage scenario except if you want to do play modern games on ultra at 120 fps or something.

Still I would say it's a questionable upgrade. You could get a quad core ryzen for relatively cheap that would be clearly faster.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Yea if it was a Sandy Bridge system I might bother with CPU upgrade. First gen i5 to i7 not really worth it in your scenario.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
the xeons with the same specs as the i7 appear to be cheaper, like maybe $45-50 you can buy a 2.9GHz one like the 870 (x3470);
I think it might not be a terrible investment, but it's a 95W CPU with no IGP, not sure if it would work well with your board.

TStep

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2003
Seems like used hp 8100 sff i5 or i7 systems run $70-$120 shipped. Bare i7 860 or 870 seems to sell at $50-$90 plus you need a video card.

So if you really wanted to play with a 1st gen i7 hp 8100 sff, may as well buy a complete used system unless you luckout finding an i7 cheap and already have the video card

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008

You say its 1) and HP and 2) small form factor. That raises red flags for me. In pretty much all the Dell, HP, etc OEM systems that have crossed my path over the years, the power supplies were usually "just enough" i.e. plenty good enough to power the system as it came from the factory but not much headroom for additional power requirements. Small form factor systems are even worse as far as power supplies go so I'd be very cautious/skeptical of the system being able to handle much more than whats in it already. I don't remember the CPU's in question well enough to say, but others have commented that if you moved to the I7 you would also need a discrete graphics card. That's a double whammy. If the power supply was already "just enough" not only are you adding a higher wattage CPU, but a graphics card as well. And in an SFF chassis, you may find that its hard to find one that will physically fit (sorry, i'm too lazy to look up your specific system).

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that even if you could theoretically put a faster CPU in there, you may encounter other limitations that will make it refuse to work. You may end up spending the money only to learn its not going to work.