Question Best/Cheapest 16GB kit DDR4 3200 Sam B-die memory for new Ryzen 3600 build?

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Doing a new build here for a Ryzen 5 3600.

I keep reading people saying Samsung B-die are best for ryzen for stability and compatibility. If thats true, anyone have any links or recommendations to the cheapest 16GB(8GBx2) kit of DDR4 3200+ B-die memory? What kits where?

Thanks.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I went with the G.Skill Flare X 16 GB kit and I'm quite pleased with it's performance. I bought my kit just before Zen2 launched and was looking at the highest probability of compatibility at the time. I'd gladly buy it again....As long as it was up to snuff with my current kit. Not sure if binning was relaxed back then or I just was a winner of the silicon lottery.

Funny you should ask as I'm doing some extensive memory testing currently. I went thru my uEFI and decided to drop some of the memory related voltages to see if my sticks were still stable....So far so good it looks like.

I really hate subjecting my rig to extensive long term stability tested as I see it as somewhat of a waste of electricity. I'm not sure how much longer I'll let it run as it's most likely still stable anyways.

MemTesting.PNG

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Legit question. DDR4 3200 cas14 or DDR4 3600 cas16. Which is better? I honestly dont know. It seems DDR4 3600 Gskill ripjaws cl16 are like almost identical in price and also sam b-die.

Ryzen 5 3600/B450 Tomahawk max

Also, how important are these modules being on the mobo QVL list....

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
go faster ram over tighter latencies.

It used to be the other way around until the cpu and ram speed had a more direct relationship.
So u want faster ram > tighter latencies.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Legit question. DDR4 3200 cas14 or DDR4 3600 cas16. Which is better? I honestly dont know. It seems DDR4 3600 Gskill ripjaws cl16 are like almost identical in price and also sam b-die.

Ryzen 5 3600/B450 Tomahawk max

Also, how important are these modules being on the mobo QVL list....

3200 CL14 has very marginally better latency than 3600 CL16.

However, 3600 will have more bandwidth, and will clock up your infinity fabric to 1800, giving additional performance benefits.

Is this the kit you're referring to? I'd honestly be extremely surprised if it didn't run, and there are practically identical kits on the QVL. Also that reminds me, the best bang for buck kit in my opinion is this one. You can disregard the first kit I listed in my previous post and replace it with this.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
3200 CL14 has very marginally better latency than 3600 CL16.

However, 3600 will have more bandwidth, and will clock up your infinity fabric to 1800, giving additional performance benefits.

Is this the kit you're referring to? I'd honestly be extremely surprised if it didn't run, and there are practically identical kits on the QVL. Also that reminds me, the best bang for buck kit in my opinion is this one. You can disregard the first kit I listed in my previous post and replace it with this.

Yes that was the kit I was looking at. Looks good right? It just isnt on the QVL list but it is sam b-die so I am sure its good to go.

So, that kit you linked to looks great... I am guessing that is obviously not sam b-die right? Maybe it wouldnt matter. I love the price. I am just worried about compatibility and stability and I read that sam b-die chips are great so. That memory is not on MSI tomahawk max support list either. I think I may go with that. I am not overclocking and I would kind of like to save $50 if it makes no difference.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you look at Gskill Trident Z kits, they typically are B die if they are 3200, CL14. Check for that, and they will often OC further. Also, it may not matter as much with Ryzen 3k, with bettery memory support that is. FWIW, I am running 2 different Bdie kits, 2x8GB Trident Z and 2x8GB Flare X, at XMP settings, all 4 sticks. I didn't even need to tweak timings. CPU is the 3700X.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah thanks for the help. I am going to go with this non b-die 3600 kit HERE. Hopefully they work out. I am not planning to oc and the kit is cas16 and only $83. I wanted the sam b-dies but if it ends up not making much of a difference, ill save the $50. The other Gskill 3600 b-dies were $130. Even if I can get the 3600 b-dies down to cas14 which sounds like I would be able to, I am not sure that is worth the almost $50 difference in price.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Yes that was the kit I was looking at. Looks good right? It just isnt on the QVL list but it is sam b-die so I am sure its good to go.

So, that kit you linked to looks great... I am guessing that is obviously not sam b-die right? Maybe it wouldnt matter. I love the price. I am just worried about compatibility and stability and I read that sam b-die chips are great so. That memory is not on MSI tomahawk max support list either. I think I may go with that. I am not overclocking and I would kind of like to save $50 if it makes no difference.
Yeah, it's some sort of Hynix die. B-die isn't really a necessity for good ram clocks anymore on Ryzen 3000 series, and 3600MHz is easy for the memory controller. B-die is still great if you want to tweak timings for maximum performance but for a more budget/mid range system it doesn't really make that much sense from a cost/performance standpoint in my opinion.

Good luck with the build :)