Best cheap system-builder micro-ATX case / PSU?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is it better to get a Rosewill for $24 (on sale) / $30 (regular), and then add a PSU (like a Corsair CX430 for $20 AR), or to get a iMicro case + PSU combo from Superbiiz for $36 (cheapest one on their ebay store) to $50 (same case, plus keybd / mouse / spkrs)?

These would be for your basic office browsing machine, not a gaming rig or HTPC.

Edit: I was having good luck with directron.com, when they put some of their older Apex / Supercase and Winsis cases on sale.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Is it better to get a Rosewill for $24 (on sale) / $30 (regular), and then add a PSU (like a Corsair CX430 for $20 AR), or to get a iMicro case + PSU combo from Superbiiz for $36 (cheapest one on their ebay store) to $50 (same case, plus keybd / mouse / spkrs)?

These would be for your basic office browsing machine, not a gaming rig or HTPC.

Edit: I was having good luck with directron.com, when they put some of their older Apex / Supercase and Winsis cases on sale.

Which Rosewill case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...77&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

P.S. Is this the iMicro case:

s-l500.jpg

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Not sure if the following review is for the exact 400W PSU used in the above case, but it is a iMicro brand one (and SuperBiiz does carry it separately):

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imicro-ps-im400wh-power-supply-review/9/

Conclusions

The iMicro PS-IM400WH is a typical ultra low-end power supply that must be avoided at all cost. Using this kind of bargain power supply will give you lots of headache.

This “400 W” unit can only deliver around 280 W, with low efficiency, and these are not even the worse problems of it.

The problem with ultra low-end power supplies, and the iMicro PS-IM400WH is no exception, is that their voltages get easily outside the proper working range, and the noise and ripple levels are always above the maximum allowed. These two problems will, in the best case scenario, make your computer to work unstable (i.e., presenting random problems), and, in the worst case scenario, overload and even burn components from your PC.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Most bundled PSUs are of that "ultra low-cheap" variety. I'd avoid them and buy the components separately.

Of course, I'd also pass on the Rosewill case and buy something slightly nicer like a Fractal Core 1000, because <skwisgaar> teh sexeh scandanavians designs. </skwisgaar>.

But that _does_ add ~$30-40 total to the price of the system, which can be a hard sell for a low-end rig - that money could double the size of your SSD, or get you a notch up on the CPU list, or get you more RAM, or...

If somebody with a hard budget limit thinks they NEED the faster whatever, it can be hard to sell them on the slower-on-paper-but-more-reliable configuration.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Most bundled PSUs are of that "ultra low-cheap" variety. I'd avoid them and buy the components separately.

Of course, I'd also pass on the Rosewill case and buy something slightly nicer like a Fractal Core 1000, because <skwisgaar> teh sexeh scandanavians designs. </skwisgaar>.

But that _does_ add ~$30-40 total to the price of the system, which can be a hard sell for a low-end rig - that money could double the size of your SSD, or get you a notch up on the CPU list, or get you more RAM, or...

If somebody with a hard budget limit thinks they NEED the faster whatever, it can be hard to sell them on the slower-on-paper-but-more-reliable configuration.

Fractal Core 1000 was the first case that came to mind when I saw the thread title. As I recall it does go on sale for $30 or so from time to time.

But there is a $20 AR free shipping Rosewill "FBM-01- Dual-Fan Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case" that also looks like a good deal with included 120mm intake fan and 80mm exhaust fan. (two fans in such a cheap case is surprising).

In contrast, Fractal Design Core 1000 only comes with one 120mm fan (no exhaust fan is provided).

Fractal Design Core 1000:

11-352-032-Z01

11-352-032-Z06

Rosewill FBM-01- Dual-Fan Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case:

11-147-123-V01

11-147-123-Z05

P.S. For $29.99 (with free shipping for orders $49 or more) Amazon does have the ROSEWILL SRM-01 Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case which looks similar to the Core 1000 (uses same drive layout) and does include an exhaust fan (although it is only a 80mm one). However it doesn't include the 120mm intake fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Micr...ill+Micro+ATX+Mini+Tower+Computer+Case+SRM-01

619RLTJTgwL._SL1500_.jpg

71srDQQuMSL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, that was the iMicro case that I was talking about, and yes, just like that review, I've had those "400W" iMicro case PSUs burn up some hardware. They can be unreliable, and dangerous to components.

I've had a lot better luck with the Apex / SuperCase case + PSU combos, those have a 300W Apex PSU, which seems quite a bit more reliable. (At least, the customer reviews seem to bear that out.)

This is the Rosewill case that I was talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147167&ignorebbr=1
11-147-167-TS

Cool, it has an $8 off promo code, making it $22 with FS.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I missed that promo code....yes, that looks like a very good deal. I also like the appearance better than the one I listed for $20 AR free shipping....plus it has the same dual fans (120mm intake and 80mm exhaust).

If you get it let us know how that one builds up.

I've used a few of them before for builds. They're nothing spectacular, but they're reasonably decent to build in. The only problem is if you're using a desktop-sized HDD. Fitting it into the drive cage, along with the mobo and the RAM installed, can be a PITA.

It does have dedicated mounting spot for an SSD on the bottom of the case, I believe. (The Apex / SuperCase micro-ATX cases do too.)

The EVGA 500B PSUs are $34.99 at Newegg right now, with a $5 MIR. I remember when those used to be $50 regular price. I bought two a long time ago.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I've used a few of them before for builds. They're nothing spectacular, but they're reasonably decent to build in. The only problem is if you're using a desktop-sized HDD. Fitting it into the drive cage, along with the mobo and the RAM installed, can be a PITA.

I noticed a good many of the one egg reviews mentioned that problem. One of them, however, had a creative solution to the problem:

Part of comment from one of the Newegg one egg reviews said:
These cases have one critical and several serious flaws. Critical is the fact that the drive cage is not removable. Even using the stock Intel fan, it is almost impossible to get hard drives in and out without removing the motherboard.The only way to do it is to angle the drives as you slide them in using a good deal of force and then forcing them straight. All the time hoping you don't damage the hard drive or fan. Luckily the cage is made out of very thin metal so it bends and then can be bent back into shape. Why they did not spend another 10 cents and make the cage removable is beyond reason.

P.S. Maybe another solution for someone that insisted on using 3.5" HDD would be to use a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter. Maybe the top 5.25" bay works for that:

from the same Newegg review quoted above said:
The top 51/4 bay is filled with cables from the power button and usb. There is no way to put anything in that bay that would require front access.

11-147-167-Z06

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Is it better to get a Rosewill for $24 (on sale) / $30 (regular), and then add a PSU (like a Corsair CX430 for $20 AR),

I think Yes. Having used both HEC and InWin cases with bundled PSU's I can testify to the fact they are not very good. For the same amount of money you get a much better PSU. The cheap cases are pretty much the same. I like the NZXT source or the HEC mini tower. Cooler Master cases sometimes dip into the $30's with rebates.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Having a case with that much trouble moving drives in and out would drive me bat-guano crazy. I'm hardly the target market for such a case though, and I'd imagine many of the people Larry is giving/selling these to would touch the drive cage once in a blue moon. I'd take the $22 Rosewill case and $30 EVGA 500B over the $36 iMicro case any day of the week. It obviously adds to the bottom line, but you might be able to advertise "High Power and Efficiency Quality Name Brand Power Supply" enough to justify the increased cost. Corsair's warranty and service (if needed) is also likely to be worlds better than Inwin's

Feb 25, 2011
But there is a $20 AR free shipping Rosewill "FBM-01- Dual-Fan Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case" that also looks like a good deal with included 120mm intake fan and 80mm exhaust fan. (two fans in such a cheap case is surprising).

In contrast, Fractal Design Core 1000 only comes with one 120mm fan (no exhaust fan is provided).

Honestly, for the intended purpose (simple office PC with no GPU) that doesn't really bother me. Once your temps are low enough and you have sufficient airflow, you're good. Between the PSU, the CPU HSF, and the front fan, a properly vented/meshed (by today's standards - not 15 years ago when all the panels were solid with no vent gridholes) mATX case will have adequate airflow to avoid cooking a CPU and a couple HDDs.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
cooler master cases are fairly cheap as well, and they have decent quality.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
cooler master cases are fairly cheap as well, and they have decent quality.

I once had a pair of CM Elite 330 cases, housing my P35 boards and Core2(Quad) rigs. They were nice. (The ones I had, still had floppy drive bays, and they were populated. :) )

I got bored of those, and plus, they had top-mounted PSUs, which got really warm after an extended distributed computing session (well, they were doing that basically 24/7).

Eventually, I replaced them, and stuck some AMD GF8200A-based AM2+ boards in them, and gave them away. I wish I hadn't, I miss my floppy drives.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
For those types of builds I usually have just purchased cheapo chassis with or without accompanying cheapo PSU (I would prefer without but not always an option), then add-in a better PSU. I don't go high-end on the PSU, I will stock up on some decent-enough middling level PSU when there is a great deal on them. Will end-up tossing the cheapo bundled OEM PSU in the trash after checking inside for any decent caps or cooling fans, and scavenging some connectors to use for repairs/spares/mods.

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
P.S. For $29.99 (with free shipping for orders $49 or more) Amazon does have the ROSEWILL SRM-01 Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case which looks similar to the Core 1000 (uses same drive layout) and does include an exhaust fan (although it is only a 80mm one). However it doesn't include the 120mm intake fan:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Micr...ill+Micro+ATX+Mini+Tower+Computer+Case+SRM-01

619RLTJTgwL._SL1500_.jpg

71srDQQuMSL._SL1500_.jpg

This one now on sale for $21.99 free shipping at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147248

Please note there have been some complaints in the Newegg reviews about the optical drive being difficult to install.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
The PSU is probably one component of any build that could use more allocation than others. Even for light use systems, PSUs that weigh as much as paper are probably going to take a motherboard or hard drive with them when they go. Buying cheap crappy PSUs is what Dell and Lenovo do, we were given the choice so we should take advantage when building :)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Fractal design Core 1100, $28.99 free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352039

As far as I can tell this one is internally identical to the Core 1000 mentioned earlier in the thread.

EDIT: One thing I have found out so far is that the Core 1100 has an inboard intake fan whereas the Core 1000 intake is not positioned inboard. This affects drive placement on the Core 1100 to the point where it cannot mount a 3.5" HDD in the lower most position without removing the fan. (See pictures below)

fractal_design_core_1100_0030.jpg

(Core 1100)

install1.jpg

(Core 1000)

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

But that _does_ add ~$30-40 total to the price of the system, which can be a hard sell for a low-end rig - that money could double the size of your SSD, or get you a notch up on the CPU list, or get you more RAM, or.

Fractal Core 1000 was the first case that came to mind when I saw the thread title. As I recall it does go on sale for $30 or so from time to time.

Fractal design Core 1000 is currently on sale for $27.99 Free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352032

So assuming the Rosewill case is consistently $22 on sale that makes the Core 1000 only $6 more.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I think this might be the best one I have seen yet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-ATX-...3j:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!94510!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

(Apparently it goes on sale even cheaper than that as well)

P.S. For PSU I know the EVGA 600W for $29.99 at Best Buy is the go to non-rebate PSU. (How does that 600W PSU compare to other lesser PSU as far as idle power consumption goes? Could it be ironically that even though it is 600W that is actually more efficient and thus more frugal than lesser PSU?)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
P.S. For PSU I know the EVGA 600W for $29.99 at Best Buy is the go to non-rebate PSU. (How does that 600W PSU compare to other lesser PSU as far as idle power consumption goes? Could it be ironically that even though it is 600W that is actually more efficient and thus more frugal than lesser PSU?)
I hate to say it, but I apparently used one of those PSUs for a friend's slightly overclocked i5-6400 @ 3.78 Gaming rig (16GB RAM, RX 470 4GB, one SSD, one HDD), and it went kaput in under two years. I know a sample size of one doesn't mean much statistically, but I'm personally a bit more cautious about recommending or using them in high-demand (gaming rigs, as opposed to browser boxes using an iGPU) rigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbn

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Virtual Larry,

Any 550W to 600W PSU you think could do double duty for a browser box and a Workstation type build?

Is it possible that a 550W to 650W PSU could save on idle compared to a cheaper 300W to 450W PSU? (I know that smaller PSUs typically do better on idle power consumption all things being equal....but then again it seems that 550W and above gets all the engineering attention.)

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Virtual Larry,

Any 550W to 600W PSU you think could do double duty for a browser box and a Workstation type build?

Is it possible that a 550W to 650W PSU could save on idle compared to a cheaper 300W to 450W PSU? (I know that smaller PSUs typically do better on idle power consumption all things being equal....but then again it seems that 550W and above gets all the engineering attention.)

The problem with going well over (lets assume an APU) the rating is all PSU's are really bad in the 10%-30% range with efficiencies and with newer CPU's and no dGPU. You are looking at Sub 100w, loads and for a Word/web system it will be at idle or near idle 90+% of the time.