Best cheap single player Steam games that I can play without internet connection?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I'm heading to Japan on Saturday and would love to have some entertainment other than movies on the trip. I've already got the original monkey island as well as episode 1. Any other options out there for some good time killing fun? Torchlight perhaps? Thought about snagging some of the other old LucasArts games as well...

I'll be using a laptop with no dedicated graphics card so keep that in mind. It does manage to run WoW at lower settings so it isn't too horrible.

(BTW, I need to be able to play all of these "offline". I know there is away to pull this off on Steam but have never done the process and am not sure if it works with all purchases.)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Plants Vs. Zombies & Defense Grid: The Awakening. - Possibly the best two tower defence games ever. Both very cheap and fun via Steam.

X-COM Pack - Contains UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-COM UFO Defense to the Americans, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse, Enforcer and Interceptor. These are all old games, most of which are heralded as awesome and super duper and should run on almost any laptop, even Windows 7 I believe. If you can put up with early-mid 90's graphics then these classics will entertain you for weeks.

Torchlight - There are some big threads on Anandtech you may wish to check out. From what I remember, it should run at pretty basic settings and it in itself is an extremely good time consumer. Once you've completed it, you have to be a mod fiend to find 'much' replayability with it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Kings Legend

I've got 73 hours into the first one and still have probably another 10 to go till I am finished.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
King author the role playing game is alright as well.

Its simular to total war empire series...

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
As long as the game isn't multiplayer, you can run it in offline mode. You just have to run the game once in online mode to make sure that it's fully up to date, and then you can run it in offline mode.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
Defence Grid is awesome, but I would be wary of the specs - it recommends 2GHz dual core, and I don't know how well Intel graphics will do.

I'd be more worried about having to use a trackpad for some games. Have a look at Peggle (or at least try the free-on-Steam Peggle Extreme)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Damn that sucks! What OS are you running?

Win7. I ended up scouring the steam forums and finally gotit running. Hopefully none of the other known issues pop up!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. About to board the plane.