Best cellular service for Austin and Houston?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I tried Sprint... sucked hardcore. Would disconnect with every call, and lose the signal or go to roaming all the time on UT campus. I don't need alot of minutes so I'd like a service that is cheap for few minutes. Any input?

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I live in Houston and use T-Mobile. The service is great, have coverage all over the city and have seen no drop outs.

Can't speak much for Austin, but when I went there last year to see a concert I was in the UT/East Riverside area and had good signal strength.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i think its your phone i haven't had those problems

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
heh, i have sprint right now and not too many problems with it... it drops a signal in the basement of welch and the elevator shafts of dobie... once in the jester cafeteria... but apart from that, pretty good service

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
It probably was my phone. It was a piece of crap that would turn itself off! I have $100 credit with Sprint since I cancelled my account early... I could use that for a good phone...

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
Do you have a Nokia? Nokia generally don't work well with Sprint. I have Moto with Sprint, in Austin, never any problems. My friends with Nokias ALL have problems with Sprint.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i didn't know there were any nokias that worked with sprint

ddwbi0

Jun 22, 2002
Originally posted by: fastz28
Do you have a Nokia? Nokia generally don't work well with Sprint. I have Moto with Sprint, in Austin, never any problems. My friends with Nokias ALL have problems with Sprint.

there's only one nokia out for sprint that im aware of

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i have tmobile, and im really satisfied with it. once in a long while id get a call failed error on my v70, but it usually goes immediately right after (i hear because they share it with cingular and cingular gets first priority?)

anyways, in some of the UT buildings, the signal gets weak, but this is normal because it is GSM. however, ive had tdma ATT before and that thing just completely sucks in everyway... (phone used was v60)

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: Mani
I've got Tmobile in Austin and haven't had any problems.

My friend's friend has TMobile and he can't get a signal in his living room.

Just like any service it'll have it's dead spots. I haven't found any yet but then I live up in north austin (parmer area).