Best card for the money oced stock cooling

Marsumane

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Im basically looking to upgrade my severely bottlenecked system (in sig). I only am looking to spend around $150ish sometime during the summer on this card (hopefully after prices fall). What i need from any of you guys, is a link to a page where cards such as the 5900xt/se/etcetc, 9700np/p,9800np/p are benched overclocked with their stock cooling (no non-standard cooling done by board makers either) so taht i can compare which will be the best in my system when i overclock them based on cost and percentage of better fps. I only upgrade every few yrs on my graphics card (note the gf3ti200 that i have now) so i definately need something with some future headroom. Remember: this is about what i will get in cost/oced stock performance ratio and NOT fpr example: how the 9800pro is only $200 and can run at xt speeds.

I know this is a crazy request and the benchmarks may be quite rare to find and thats y im asking here.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
What you ask for it's just impossible as each chip unit has different overclockability and you can never export the results of one card to another even if it is the xact same manufacturer and model. Go safe and buy a 9800pro and if you need more in the future just buy a good aftermarket cooling system.

Marsumane

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted by: McArra
What you ask for it's just impossible as each chip unit has different overclockability and you can never export the results of one card to another even if it is the xact same manufacturer and model. Go safe and buy a 9800pro and if you need more in the future just buy a good aftermarket cooling system.

Maybe i wasnt exactly clear. I know they all differ from one indavidual chip to the next. Just some graphic cards u cant get squat out of compared to others in almost any chip you get stuck with. For example, is the ATI 9700 able to clock above 9700 pro speeds on many chips? Does it typically have alot of room to oc like a 5900 tends to have? (similar priced right now)

This is more of a "what should i gamble on question".

Like if i was asking processors, you could tell me that an XP Barton 2500+ has potentially more headroom then a 1600+ palimino or a 3200+ would have in % oc.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Marsumane
Originally posted by: McArra

Maybe i wasnt exactly clear. I know they all differ from one indavidual chip to the next. Just some graphic cards u cant get squat out of compared to others in almost any chip you get stuck with. For example, is the ATI 9700 able to clock above 9700 pro speeds on many chips? Does it typically have alot of room to oc like a 5900 tends to have? (similar priced right now)

This is more of a "what should i gamble on question".

Like if i was asking processors, you could tell me that an XP Barton 2500+ has potentially more headroom then a 1600+ palimino or a 3200+ would have in % oc.

It seems newer Powercolor 9800Pros 128mb have the R360 core (which is the same the 9800XT has), so you should have good headroom to overclock it above XT speeds. I think I have now aswered your question :D

Marsumane

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Yes, that is one of the answers that im looking for. Any ideas of the potential of any of the other cards listed in my top post? Anyone?

Apr 14, 2004
I second the Powercolor 9800 Pro. If you want to gamble go for the Powercolor 9800 SE. These are the best cards in the sub $200 range.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Marsumane
Yes, that is one of the answers that im looking for. Any ideas of the potential of any of the other cards listed in my top post? Anyone?

geForce FX5900XT cards have also been known to clock up to insane levels - but an overclocked 9800 core will beat an overclocked 5900 core. Go for the Powercolor 9800Pro and hope for the best. :D

- M4H