Best card for a PIII 500

Nolan75

Aug 2, 2002
A friend of mine has a gateway system with a PIII 500 and he says a voodoo1. He is looking for a video card upgrade. I don't think that he will mess with upgrading the processor, as he is contemplating purchasing/building a new system, and I am not sure how much memory he has in his system. This is pretty much a short term kinda deal, although I am sure that one of our less fortunate friends will end up with the pIII system so would like to get a vid card that will maximize the potential of that processor, and possibly go with an upgrade at processor in the future. Basically want to go best price/performance. Yada yada yada.

any suggestions?

Nolan

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
GeForce 2, GeForce 3, or one of the new Radeon [7000 or 8000 series] should work.

If you're going to pass the computer onto someone who doesn't play many games - get the Radeon for 2d visual quality - else get the GeForce 2 or 3.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
I ran a VisionTech gf3 ti-200 with my PIII-450 on a 440 bx board. It worked really nicely. So nice I built a new rig then the gf4's came out and I got one of those and then...Christ it's never ending.;)

The ti-200 played RTCW and MOHAA very well on the old rig. It would be a nice upgrade for him till he splurges on a new rig. I put the VooDoo 3 back in the old rig after I built this one. My little girl is playing Tonka Monster Trucks across the room now. I wish she was old enough to DeathMatch.:)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I wish she was old enough to DeathMatch.:)

It's never early to start teaching the youngsters....

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I have both the KyroII and the Geforce 2 Pro. The KyroII is a great card for the price, but it is not as fast as a Geforce 2 Pro, no way. You can get decent performance out of the Kyro, but with no T&L engine you have to have a fast cpu. I would suggest the orignal Radeon 32MB DDR for only $38 on pricewatch. It comes closer to Geforce 2 Pro performance and still does decent on a slow cpu.