Best canned tuna

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Never had a spicy-tuna roll I take it? :D

Hot sauce tastes very good mixed in tuna salad .... after all Japanese spicy mayo is just mayo and hot peppers/pepper-sauce.

As explained in detail above, so what? If you want spicy tuna you can make spicy tuna out of ordinary tuna. But you can't de-spicy that tuna if you want to use it any other way.

If you buy plain rice you can use it a million different ways, if you buy 100 packages of Rice Krispies you can't. Assuming any normal person already has hot sauce it's counter productive to pay twice as much for tuna with hot sauce added. You lose the ability to have anything except spicy tuna.

Simple question, do you buy plain pasta so that you can dress it up any way you want or do you buy 100% of your pasta in Spaghetti-o form?

Reactions: Captante
Feb 4, 2009
Unfortunately a side-effect of complying with our regulations
(ie: higher tax's and wages paid to US workers etc) means Bumble Bee is consistently a bit more expensive then most.

The fish itself isn't really all that different however I do seem to notice less in the way of "mystery-bits" in Bumblebee then the imported brands especially with the darker types of tuna. (I like to mix in some chunk-light in tuna salad)

If Bumblebee is not available I've had the best luck with either Starkist or Geisha. (Geisha smoked Oysters are also decent)
Mmmm.....I need to shop today I’ll compare prices.

Prices at Walmart
Was kind of tough because no big cans of bumblebee and no small cans of a nationally known brand. The difference between the Walmart brand and bumblebee isn’t too extreme

C56D959E-FE12-47CD-98C3-7BE7B2C99CE0.jpeg

A00B7D80-6C04-4F30-871A-623DB330B8EE.jpeg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
As explained in detail above, so what? If you want spicy tuna you can make spicy tuna out of ordinary tuna. But you can't de-spicy that tuna if you want to use it any other way.

If you buy plain rice you can use it a million different ways, if you buy 100 packages of Rice Krispies you can't. Assuming any normal person already has hot sauce it's counter productive to pay twice as much for tuna with hot sauce added. You lose the ability to have anything except spicy tuna.

Simple question, do you buy plain pasta so that you can dress it up any way you want or do you buy 100% of your pasta in Spaghetti-o form?
Is there some hidden rule you can't buy regular tuna if you buy spicy tuna? As to why I would buy spicy tuna when I can add spice to regular tuna, it's both convenience and taste. Post your spicy tuna recipe. I'm 100% certain this spicy tuna is leagues better than anything you can come up with.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just came back from Costco and bought another box. I'm going to load up if there's a sale or clearance on this item. $14 for 12 cans. More expensive than Aldi tuna in oil I buy but not horrible.

5OIomc7h.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Is there some hidden rule you can't buy regular tuna if you buy spicy tuna? As to why I would buy spicy tuna when I can add spice to regular tuna, it's both convenience and taste.

No worries ... you're allowed to like it! ;)

*(MSG is nasty though IMO)

I'm 100% certain this spicy tuna is leagues better than anything you can come up with.

Hmmmm .... pretty confident I can find better hot sauce then the stuff mixed into that tuna without much trouble.

However I will be keeping an eye out for that brand and will report back if I find/try it.

Feb 4, 2009

Hmmmm .... pretty confident I can find better hot sauce then the stuff mixed into that tuna without much trouble.

However I will be keeping an eye out for that brand and will report back if I find/try it.

Might be difficult to do because the canning is going to make the hot more mellow, plus the meat is sort of marinated in it.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I don't eat tuna.

There have been lots of commercials lately for Rio Mare tuna.

I love Rio Mare in olive oil, it's about the only brand I've been buying in the last 5-10 years. I don't eat it often, maybe a can a month.
A bit pricey in regular supermarkets, but the 4x package from Costco is decently priced, I only but if from there.
Sigh, one of the things I miss from Costco, I haven't been there since February, the lineups here to enter the store are still crazy.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I don't have any problem with MSG. It makes food taste better and plenty of products and restaurants contain or use MSG. Pretty much all Asian restaurants use MSG in their cooking. They may say they don't but they do.

Chick-fil-A uses MSG on their famous chicken sandwich. KFC uses MSG for their fried chicken. Doritos and Pringles potato chips have MSG. Campbell's can chicken soup have MSG. Bunch of BBQ rubs have MSG. So do many bouillon seasoning cubes and instant noodle seasoning packets.

And if you love pho, I can pretty much guarantee it was made with MSG if you ate it at restaurant.

I add it to my BBQ rub sometimes. Anytime I think the flavor of the food is lacking, I add MSG and it automatically tastes better. As long as you don't overdue and use crazy amount, it can add very pleasant taste to your food. Dashi and MSG are two secret ingredients in most Japanese and Korean food.

Reactions: zinfamous

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don't have any problem with MSG. It makes food taste better and plenty of products and restaurants contain or use MSG. Pretty much all Asian restaurants use MSG in their cooking. They may say they don't but they do.

Chick-fil-A uses MSG on their famous chicken sandwich. KFC uses MSG for their fried chicken. Doritos and Pringles potato chips have MSG. Campbell's can chicken soup have MSG. Bunch of BBQ rubs have MSG. So do many bouillon seasoning cubes and instant noodle seasoning packets.

And if you love pho, I can pretty much guarantee it was made with MSG if you ate it at restaurant.

I add it to my BBQ rub sometimes. Anytime I think the flavor of the food is lacking, I add MSG and it automatically tastes better. As long as you don't overdue and use crazy amount, it can add very pleasant taste to your food. Dashi and MSG are two secret ingredients in most Japanese and Korean food.

Also Soy sauce (among other things) is a natural source of it so even if then don't add MSG by itself there's certainly still some in there.

Anyway I eat hot dogs so its not like I can say much! ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wait, you buy tuna in soybean oil? How can you stand eating something that inferior? You're a monster.
yup! It's not inferior. I only buy regular tuna in oil. Never in water. I prefer olive oil but those are pricey so I buy the cheaper tuna in soybean oil from Aldi. I don't care as long as the tuna is in oil and not water. It's all the same. Olive oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil. It's all oil and drained off before I use the tuna.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
yup! It's not inferior. I only buy regular tuna in oil. Never in water. I prefer olive oil but those are pricey so I buy the cheaper tuna in soybean oil from Aldi. I don't care as long as the tuna is in oil and not water. It's all the same. Olive oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil. It's all oil and drained off before I use the tuna.

To be clear, do you eat straight out of the can or not? If you're using it to prepare something, what's the reasoning to go with the oil vs. water?

I can't stand soybean oil at all. Not only that, it's not a healthy fat unless it says high oleic.

As for the thread, I think a lot of the sauce-based stuff is meh compared to some simple olive oil. Never tried the one in the OP, but I did like this from safe catch, though i only bought it when it was clearance.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
To be clear, do you eat straight out of the can or not? If you're using it to prepare something, what's the reasoning to go with the oil vs. water?

I can't stand soybean oil at all. Not only that, it's not a healthy fat unless it says high oleic.

As for the thread, I think a lot of the sauce-based stuff is meh compared to some simple olive oil. Never tried the one in the OP, but I did like this from safe catch, though i only bought it when it was clearance.

I used to eat it straight out of the can when I was younger and didn't know how to cook. Now I don't and use it in my cooking.

I prefer tuna in oil because it tastes better and is more silky/oily. Tuna in water can be bit dry and also can taste bit fishy when added to make dishes such as kimchi fried rice. Tuna in any oil is so superior in taste and texture to tuna in water.

I eat sardines and oysters straight out of the can. I don't really cook with those even though I can. Sardines and oysters I spurge and only buy packed in olive oil.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I used to eat it straight out of the can when I was younger and didn't know how to cook. Now I don't and use it in my cooking.

I prefer tuna in oil because it tastes better and is more silky/oily. Tuna in water can be bit dry and also can taste bit fishy when added to make dishes such as kimchi fried rice. Tuna in any oil is so superior in taste and texture to tuna in water.

I eat sardines and oysters straight out of the can. I don't really cook with those even though I can. Sardines and oysters I spurge and only buy packed in olive oil.

I believe tuna in oil is also healthier ... something about the oil making it easier to absorb nutrients.

Too lazy to to Google

Anyway its sorta pointless since IME with tuna packed in water if you are making tuna salad you just end up adding more mayo to compensate for the moisture the oil would otherwise provide.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just tried the spicy tuna in Shin Ramyun instant noodle. I added the entire can when the noodles were about half way cooked. It definitely kicked up the spicy level of the noodle a notch. I liked it but it might be too spicy for people not used to spicy food.

xyQ5Wheh.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just tried the spicy tuna in Shin Ramyun instant noodle. I added the entire can when the noodles were about half way cooked. It definitely kicked up the spicy level of the noodle a notch. I liked it but it might be too spicy for people not used to spicy food.

xyQ5Wheh.jpg

Now I'm hungry ... thanks a lot! :mad: ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ponyo