Best Buy stores cannot match their online prices?

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I was browsing their online store and there were a couple of items that I wanted (dvd and a PC game). I did not want to wait for the free shipping (7 days or so), so I thought I'd go to one of the local stores and just buy them there.

They had both of the items there but the prices did not match the online prices at all. For example, Freedom Fighters for the PC was $20 on the website, but $50! in the store. I asked an associate if they can price match to their own website, and he said no, and that he had no clue why.

It just seems like bad business. Is there anyone here that has a good sense of the corportate retail structure who could possibly tell me why Best Buy would do this? Thanks.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
There are numerous reasons....one of the most obvious is a store front costs a heck of a lot more for rent than industrial park warehouse space.

However only Best Buy could answer that really....almost all B&M will not match their online stores and many have totally different items on each.

Å

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You do realize that you can buy online and pick it up in store right? I did that last week. Doesn't matter if they won't price-match online, because you can buy it online and get the same thing from their customer service counter!

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You do realize that you can buy online and pick it up in store right? I did that last week. Doesn't matter if they won't price-match online, because you can buy it online and get the same thing from their customer service counter!

I did indeed see that - but you also can't redeem a gift card online, which is what I was paying with.
:frown:

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
when you go there to pick it up, tell them you intend to change your payment method, because you have a gift card. they need your card anyways when you pick it up, so they can always void out the charge and go with the gift card route.

<--- has done in-store pick-up a many times at best buy.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: anxi80
when you go there to pick it up, tell them you intend to change your payment method, because you have a gift card. they need your card anyways when you pick it up, so they can always void out the charge and go with the gift card route.

<--- has done in-store pick-up a many times at best buy.

Ohhhhh... pretty slick. :) I'll try that.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
When you do in-store pickup, do you have to wait for the confirmation email? I was going to pick up once but an hour after placing the order, I still hadn't been told it's ready to pick up. The site was saying allow 24 hours. I cancelled it and just went and bought it instore.

I prefer CC's pickup system. I don't have to speak to any salesmen or wade through their store to find what I need.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: xboxist

Ohhhhh... pretty slick. :) I'll try that.
yep yep. did the same thing on an imation cd-r deal like a year back. i had a gift card plus a reward zone card. they just re-did the transaction for the price i online ordered for. i too, went to the customer service desk.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: royaldank
When you do in-store pickup, do you have to wait for the confirmation email? I was going to pick up once but an hour after placing the order, I still hadn't been told it's ready to pick up. The site was saying allow 24 hours. I cancelled it and just went and bought it instore.

I prefer CC's pickup system. I don't have to speak to any salesmen or wade through their store to find what I need.
one time i didnt wait, and i went like 2 hours after placing the order, and it was ready. in fact, i dont think i received the e-mail till later on that night, and i just disregarded it. but i guess it all depends on if/when they can find it or not.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
They do it because for all purposes, it's not the same company. They are both "owned" by "best buy corporation" but they are seperate as far as financial stuff because of taxes involved. Just order it for in store pickup, then pay with a gift card.