Best Buy - return policy on opened cables?

Mar 15, 2003
I need to test out my tv's HDMI port (it's a refurb and I only have a few more days to return it) so I was thinking about getting a "loner" HDMI cable from Best Buy. I'm ok with a restocking fee but do they accept returns on opened cable packages? Their cables are a ridiculous $50+ and I have a set from monoprice.com in the mail, but I have very little time to wait before the return policy on my tv is up.

Thanks!

P.S. As far as the shady ethics go - I understand it's not idea but I just bought an HDMI dvd player today on best buy reward points alone... Yep, I shop there alot.

Jun 27, 2005
Why don't you go in, select your cable and ask the clerk what the return policy is? Just a thought...

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
If you can find a cable in a box, that you can restore to basically store bought condition (ie tie it up, fold it, etc) go for it. But a lot of them come in that bubble packaging you have to pretty much shred to open.

Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Why don't you go in, select your cable and ask the clerk what the return policy is? Just a thought...

That's sort of advertising what you are doing....why would anyone really need to return a cable?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

No time - the line at the best buy is about 30 min long on a friday.. I'm usually not in this much of a rush but I'd rahther know now so I can go with plan B instead (go to J and R and buy the cable)

Apr 7, 2006
Buy from a local Walmart if your intention is to buy and test it out, then return it. Chances are when you go to the isle for cables, someone has already done exactly what you were thinking of doing, so you can pick up a pre-opened package for 10-20% off the normal price. If you have to return the cable for any reason, you will have 90 days to do it, and you won't be hasseled at all.

ModeEngage

Jul 14, 2001
www.mode-engage.net
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: lizardboy
I've returned opened cables to BB before - no problem.

Thanks!

Yeah, you should be fine. I used to work there, and we'd take them back all the time. Just try to keep yourself from using a chainsaw to open the cable, make a nice little cut on the side with a razorblade or something.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
as long as you don't shread it apart you're fine.

heck blame some employee there. saying he gave me the wrong cable. I need a firewire or usb cable.

or this cable is too short and I looked you don't carry super long ones at reasonable prices.