Best Buy part-time job interview, what should I expect?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Filled out an online application yesterday and got an interview setup after work today. They are supposed to clue me in on the position as well too. I think I applied for customer service because the last time I applied for a technician and did not even receive a courtesy call.

Last retail job I had was just some easy word association, filing and simple math tests. I interviewed at CompUSSR awhile back for a tech job and everything went well, but was overqualified.

Also 7-8 bucks an hour sound about right?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
They will probably ask you to read over the PSP and then sell it to them.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
be prepared to work 1 hour shy of fulltime, crappy pay, stupid customers, even though its a "non commission" enviroment if you dont sell service plans and accessories you will get fired. it is a chit job have fun

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
They will probably ask you to read over the PSP and then sell it to them.

PSP?

Originally posted by: SethK28
be prepared to work 1 hour shy of fulltime, crappy pay, stupid customers, even though its a "non commission" enviroment if you dont sell service plans and accessories you will get fired. it is a chit job have fun

Already have a full-time job, this is mainly for spending money

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
can you brush your own teeth?
do you have your grade 3 education or higher?
are you completely useless?

answer "yes" to these and you're in!

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
PSP = Performance Service Plan (Their extended warranty)

Not a problem

<--Sold a newspaper subscription to a blind man once

:evil:

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I don't really know exactly what customer service was responsible for, but I figure the question of, "How have you handled difficult customers in the past?" is going to come into play here. CS at Best Buy gets mauled. :p

The Performance Service Plan (PSP) - extended warranty - is very, very important to Best Buy. Figure out in your head right now how you'd generally sell an extended warranty to someone who came up to the CS desk to purchase something and has not been told about the warranty, or has been told about it and is still just iffy on buying it, or the case of someone making a return/exchange and coax them into getting a PSP on the new item.

Sales-wise, the key is to focus on the "complete solution" - that's in their words. If the customer walked into the store looking for a new computer (the CPU/case portion only, I mean), ask them what kind of monitor they'd be running with it and if they'd seen the new LCDs on the market yet. If they're of kid-bearing age, are any games going to be played on the new computer? Look at a 3rd party video card that can be installed while the customer waits in the store before they leave (nice tech services tie-in). Wireless mouse/keyboard? Compressed air duster? MS Office 2010? You get the idea.

I think $7-$8 USD sounds good. I went for $12 CDN and got $10 CDN as a computer sales associate.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Do you know fvck all about the products you are selling?
Do you go days at a time without bathing?
Do you tell customers with question that you'll "be right back" and then take lunch?
Can you be rude and surly when need?

GREAT! Your hired!

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: SethK28

That being said... i worked at best buy Tulsa for 3 years.
If you really want the job make an emphasis on your wanting to 'help customers while having fun on the job.'

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
heh, I think you can expect the same answers from AT for any question regarding retail stores and interviews, whether it be BB, Compusa, CC, Fry's, Macy's, etc. etc. etc. The bias goes on and on.

Unfortunately I answered one of their phone questions truthfully and didn't get a call back because of it so I don't know what they're going to ask you :)