Best Buy not feeling the love

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I don't mind BB online. In the store it's obviously harder to find where the deals are. They always seemed to have free shipping and when I bought, certain prices better than Amazon. They also have reward dollars I took advantage of. Their shipping was pretty good too. If lowering prices cuts into their profit margins, obviously that is the bigger issue. I will shop wherever gets me the best prices. Like when I bought an SSD using some reward dollars at a B&M.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
How they and other B&M stores are going to survive is to replace all the employees with machines/robots. Orchard Supply Hardware in San Jose already has a robot that gets things for customers. That's how they are going to survive.

Question is, how will we survive? :'(

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Welcome to Best Buy, how can we not help you.

Robbery in Progress
robbery.jpg

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
How they and other B&M stores are going to survive is to replace all the employees with machines/robots. Orchard Supply Hardware in San Jose already has a robot that gets things for customers. That's how they are going to survive.

A modern day Service Merchandise?

Why? Whether it's robots and kiosks or minimum wage humans, who really needs the catalog showroom these days?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
A modern day Service Merchandise?

Why? Whether it's robots and kiosks or minimum wage humans, who really needs the catalog showroom these days?
Because there's always going to be a market for a showroom for products even if it's very small.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
The only reason to ever buy anything from Best Buy is to return same day if something goes wrong. Shopping for the risk averse only.

My situation is idiosyncratic, but I always buy at best buy.
1) They match the fulfilled by amazon price
2) I live in Washington state (no income tax) but am 10min from a best buy in Oregon (no sales tax)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
pretty much anything i buy from best buy is one of the following.

1. i have a gift card that was given to me for some reason or another.
2. they have a super great deal that can't be beat elsewhere, which rarely happens or only happens with a PM.

the second to last thing i got from there was a gopro around xmas because they were offering a $60 giftcard with purchase. it was $400 at best buy but amazon had it on sale for $340.

so via a phone call (they wouldn't do it in store, my wife tried at 2 different stores) to best buy and an online order, they matched amazon's price AND gave me the $60 giftcard.

the last thing i purchased at best buy was a 128gb memory card for the gopro that i used the giftcard for.

with amazon prime and free same day shipping on a lot of stuff in my area (or free next day or two day) i just typically order from them instead of doing a PM. it saves the hassle of having to waste time going to a store and dealing with being hassled for a $3 service plan on a $10 bluray when i'm checking out. amazon delivers right to my door so it's typically there when i get home from work.