Best Buy Employees Busted For Switching Items Inside Boxes

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Best Buy Employees Busted For Switching Items Inside Boxes

Full Story

For those of you who were wondering why you recently bought an empty box from Best Buy, look no further for your answer. Three Best Buy employees from a Bridgewater, NJ store were busted for removing items from their boxes and placing them inside the boxes of less expensive items, which they would then buy.

Charged with theft, and conspiracy to commit theft, are Michael Lombardozzi, 25, 1178 Fairfield Road, Bridgewater; Jose Caraballo, 18, 452 Front St., Dunellen, and Randy Billie, 21, of Paterson, all sales associates at the store, according to papers filed in Superior Court.

Caraballo told Bridgewater police that he received a call at home Dec. 28 from another employee to come to the store and pick up a box. Court papers state that Caraballo knew it was a box of a relatively low-priced item that was repacked and contained a higher-priced item.

Caraballo took the box to the cashier and paid the price listed for the lower-priced item, authorities said.

When he got home with the box, Caraballo opened it and found an LCD projector valued at $1,499, according to court papers.

Lombardozzi told police that on Dec. 23 he took a Mac Book Pro, valued at $2,700, and put it in a box of a lower-priced item and gave it to another employee to buy, according to court papers. The other employee then gave it back to Lombardozzi, authorities said.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Dumb. If you're lucky, you could get away with doing this once, but you're going to get caught eventually if you keep it up.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Ha ha seriously? Nice, that's my hometown. Wonder if any local articles will come up. I try to avoid it but sometimes they just have really good deals...

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And BB doesn't believe the people who get home to find a brick in their PC box.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Connoisseur
Ha ha seriously? Nice, that's my hometown. Wonder if any local articles will come up. I try to avoid it but sometimes they just have really good deals...

I live in Hillsborough and work in Bridgewater.

Glad these assholes got caught. :thumbsup:

Not sure why you'd drive from Paterson to Bridgewater to work at Best Buy... Google maps says that's 42 miles and 47 minutes. :Q

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
always gotta be greedy. If you do it once or twice you'll get away with it. Idiots.

We had a guy back at my BB who was skimming CC numbers from people and then ringing out his older brother for thousands in gift cards. Woulnda got caught if he just stopped after 1 or 2.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005

That's your hometown? How come we never hung out?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: mjuszczak

My guess is one of you is a dork. You know...just sayin'... ;)

:laugh:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
eh, their behavior fits in with the general corporate mentality of best buy anyways. only the small fry get in trouble of course

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
that's nuts.

that's the next town over from me... I go to that BestBuy all the time (well, as often as I go to any retail electronics store, which is to say, only when absolutely necessary).

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
that's nuts.

that's the next town over from me... I go to that BestBuy all the time (well, as often as I go to any retail electronics store, which is to say, only when absolutely necessary).

have you purchased any fine bricks from there? :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: oogabooga
Originally posted by: loki8481
that's nuts.

have you purchased any fine bricks from there? :p

Bridgewater is also my local mall. I have purchased a few small items from that BB, never ay major purchases though... Good thing!!

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: mjuszczak

I live in Jersey City and I work in NYC. I come home on weekends to visit the family and friends.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Interesting idea, but it seems just as risky as outright stealing. I can see how they rationalized it, because they're still "purchasing" something, but it's just as bad an idea as walking out the front door without buying it at all.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: daveymark
just another reason why NJ is the armpit of America

If NJ is the armpit, Michigan is the crotch.
that sounds about right... wouldn't that make detroit the anus? ;)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
eh, their behavior fits in with the general corporate mentality of best buy anyways. only the small fry get in trouble of course

When the Customer Service folks rewrap returns and put them back on the shelf, it's called "Corporate Policy"!

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: daveymark
just another reason why NJ is the armpit of America

Right... because no one's ever stolen electronics anywhere else. Bridgewater is probably one of the safest towns in America. Our biggest story ever was that police shooting (i think last year?) by bank robbers. The whole town went nuts cause that's never happened before.