Best Buy employee is clueless

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So I go in to the game section and start looking at headsets and what not, browsing the specs. Then I notice the ASTRO headsets don’t list specs like THD and impedance on the box. Kid comes over and asks if I need help. I strike up a casual conversation about how companies hide specs. Then he grabs a box and says “oh but it says you get 15 hours battery life, and it works with Xbox and PS4 too, not just pc” then I say I don’t care about that I’m just looking at actual sound quality specs. Then he says something that must come right out of ASTRO marketing and talks about the wireless etc etc again. I pull up the specs and compare them to the Steelseries Pro and show him that they don’t hide the audio specs and that they are better than the Astro headsets when I pull up their website. Then he is like “I know that Astro sound the best” lol. So what did I do? I said ok dude and bought a SteelSeries Arctis Pro + DAC headset. Partially out of spite but I did need a new headset anyway.

Is this the norm? Man...I wish I could be a fly on the wall for all the TV sales haha. It seems like when I go in looking at something specific I get bombarded with clueless people. Then when I actually have a question nobody is around.

Reactions: Thebobo

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
What did you expect? They hire a kid with virtually no experience/knowledge on hardware/electronics specs. I've caught them BSing multiple times when I visit.
I let them do their spiel and make my own research..

Reactions: PottedMeat

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
What did you expect? They hire a kid with virtually no experience/knowledge on hardware/electronics specs. I've caught them BSing multiple times when I visit.

this. go to the store if you want to see/try stuff, go home and order it online

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Were you just born yesterday? Looking at your join date, I wouldn’t have thought so... Best Buy employees have ALWAYS been known for their cluelessness...

I don’t think I’ve ever met one who actually knew anything about their products beyond the usual sales hype. Remember...it’s a low-paying retail sales job...not rokit syense.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah it just seems like I never interact with anyone at the store until I actually know what I’m looking at specifically. Kind of odd to me

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Were you just born yesterday? Looking at your join date, I wouldn’t have thought so... Best Buy employees have ALWAYS been known for their cluelessness...

I don’t think I’ve ever met one who actually knew anything about their products beyond the usual sales hype. Remember...it’s a low-paying retail sales job...not rokit syense.

I’ve heard that but really I usually go there to grab new movies and that’s about it. The few times I actually have a question or can’t find something I wanted to look at nobody is around and I give up. This was such an oddball experience for me to be honest. Usually you tell them you’re good and just browsing they leave you alone...not this time. Honestly I wanted to tell the manager that the guy doesn’t know what he is talking about. Actually there is one guy at my local store who must be a member at AVS or something because he always seems to know the latest tech but I rarely see him around. I’ve asked him something a while back about Oppo UHD players and whether they will stock it or something and he knew exactly what I was taking about and wasn’t clueless.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Surprisingly (or not) this also happened to me at a Microcenter. I went in to the store looking for the cord that would plug in from my phone to the AUX input in my car stereo. The sales person clearly did not have a clue as to what I was looking for, and showed me two or three kinds of complex, expensive powered adapters. I finally just said, "I will look around", looked it up on my phone, and found it for myself. It was few dollars. Granted, I could have looked it up before I went in, but it was such a simple, common thing, I thought the Microcenter person would know immediately what I was looking for. I am sure there are more knowledgeable sales people in Microcenter than the average retail store, but going in there and looking around, I hear the salespeople giving customers a lot of the canned sales pitches like other stores, instead of informed advice.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So I go in to the game section and start looking at headsets and what not, browsing the specs. Then I notice the ASTRO headsets don’t list specs like THD and impedance on the box. Kid comes over and asks if I need help. I strike up a casual conversation about how companies hide specs. Then he grabs a box and says “oh but it says you get 15 hours battery life, and it works with Xbox and PS4 too, not just pc” then I say I don’t care about that I’m just looking at actual sound quality specs. Then he says something that must come right out of ASTRO marketing and talks about the wireless etc etc again. I pull up the specs and compare them to the Steelseries Pro and show him that they don’t hide the audio specs and that they are better than the Astro headsets when I pull up their website. Then he is like “I know that Astro sound the best” lol. So what did I do? I said ok dude and bought a SteelSeries Arctis Pro + DAC headset. Partially out of spite but I did need a new headset anyway.

Is this the norm? Man...I wish I could be a fly on the wall for all the TV sales haha. It seems like when I go in looking at something specific I get bombarded with clueless people. Then when I actually have a question nobody is around.

You are like a few decades late on bitching about this.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Do you honestly expect minimal wage employees to know the information about every product in the store?

If you want to go past what it says on the box you will need to do your research online and remember they usually have computers you can get on to check these details if you don't have a phone to do it yourself while at the store.

Working in retail sucks for many reasons and customers is the #1 reason.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

TBH, you are in the minority. Most people who are purchasing technology don't care about the specs. And, if the specs were missing well this is why we have Google, YT, and so on.

At least the kid approached you. Lol, you should take that as a win. When I go into best buy nobody approaches me. I don't like to go into tech stores much anymore and will buy from Amazon or another online store. Best Buy will be put out of business in 5 years. That's my prediction.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wouldn't expect a Best Buy employee to know any of that, and that's not really meant to be a knock on Best Buy employees. They're not really meant to be product experts, but they can usually handle basic questions on their assigned area. Your questions seem a bit too specific, and something I might expect a high-end audio store to know about their products, but in that case, a high-end audio manufacturer would usually list all of that stuff anyway. :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Often it seems that technical product sales people tend to not know much about the product they sell, which is silly. You'd think they would get proper training. This is even true with very expensive enterprise products.

My dad sold cars for most of his life and now sells campers, but he actually knows the products he sells. Honestly I don't even know how he keeps track of all that but he does, and it's kind of part of the job since when customers ask questions he can answer them properly.

Nov 8, 2012

I guess we hold higher confidence in retailers to pick-out the fat computer nerds with glasses that probably KNOW what "specs" are. Not the stupid fuck that says "I LIKE TO PALY DEH VIDEOGAMES! I'm super kewl nerd!"

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
TBH, you are in the minority. Most people who are purchasing technology don't care about the specs. And, if the specs were missing well this is why we have Google, YT, and so on.

At least the kid approached you. Lol, you should take that as a win. When I go into best buy nobody approaches me. I don't like to go into tech stores much anymore and will buy from Amazon or another online store. Best Buy will be put out of business in 5 years. That's my prediction.

That's because you don't look gullible :awe:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Best Buy is still in business? Huh.

OP, you train with the booj, or just dig kanji?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Often it seems that technical product sales people tend to not know much about the product they sell, which is silly. You'd think they would get proper training. This is even true with very expensive enterprise products.

My dad sold cars for most of his life and now sells campers, but he actually knows the products he sells. Honestly I don't even know how he keeps track of all that but he does, and it's kind of part of the job since when customers ask questions he can answer them properly.

You make a lot more money selling cars or campers than a little kid does in Best Buy. The kids in best buy are given practically zero incentive to actually learn about their products. If Best Buy doesn't care why should the kid working there?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
About 10 years ago I went to buy some headphones and asked if they had Sennheisers. The guy said he'd never heard of that brand. I said thanks and left. :p

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
To be fair if you were looking at an Astro he could have assumed you don't actually care, and i can guaranty he wasn't paid enough to care as already stated. Also THD is also minimally helpful on its own. The graph of frequency response is much more helpful... That said if you went to the magnolia section they might have known followed by an attempted up sell.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Professional jobs are about non-existent in my little podunk town, so I worked fixing computers at that place where they sell staplers for two years. We were never given any opportunity to play with the products so we knew enough to make good recommendation. Some of the sales techs might have a personal interest in that particular area, but we are more often than not reading specs off the box just like you are. Or we can tell you how often particular products are returned along with maybe some customer comments. I could never bring myself to lie and act like I knew what I was talking about to customers if I didn't know, but may of my peers did it all the time if it meant a bigger sale and got the sales/store manager off your back.

Or, many sales techs would lie to sell the extended warranties, service and protection plans. Selling a computer with any extras was a huge no-no because we supposedly lost money on bare units. We would get our hours cut unless we scared the customer into also buying an extended warranty, virus removal plan, in-store setup, office suite and such. If you got them to also buy an ungraded mouse & keyboard, USP, monitor (with extended warranty), a printer (with extended warranty), assorted cables you had really scored a home run.

Some techs would outright lie about crud like customer's old printers, monitors and software would not compatible with their new system even if it was. A system in for repair might be missing a simple networking driver and be unable to connect to our remote technicians for virus removals or other OS repair services, and we were instructed to tell customers the system was not repairable and sell them a new one. Then we'd tack on a $149 fee to pull the personal files off the old system and transfer them to the new system. And then start pressuring for the warranties and other add-ons "so this doesn't happen to you again."

I was the only actual tech employed at my store. Other guys knew just enough to be dangerous or follow the manual for hooking the machines up to the remote techs who did everything. I got on my store managers bad side by taking too much time with customers to explain what they were looking at. I also got tons of flack for doing "unauthorized" simple repairs to customer systems because he would much rather I'd sold a new computer with all the maintenance and virus removal plans.

We were also expected to know about various types of technology but given zero time to actual study or use the technology. How the heck was I supposed to know about a product I'd never used or even touched? I think I watched two short manufacture videos the entire two years I was there and that was supposed to make me an expert on said tech so I could explain, troubleshoot and sell it to customers. No free tech support was another standing order, so if a customer had a simple question we were told to act dumb. Also, when a customer bought a new computer, no mater how much extra they spent on in-store setup, warranties or other add-ons, we were under explicit orders to never, every get stuck showing them how their new computer or Windows worked.

It's a crap job that pays crap, and it's all about pressuring customers into the worthless add-ons. Anytime I made a customer happy I was sure to get a lecture from my manager for taking too long or not upselling enough. It's impossible to be successful at a job like that without jacking over your customers and I was very happy to move on.

Reactions: TeeJay1952