best buy competent to install mobile audio?

May 18, 2004
I pulled an Alpine system out of my old car when I gave it to charity and need to have someone install it in my Maxima...in-dash CD, amp + sub in the trunk + 2 speakers.

(No, this system isn't stolen, it's really mine.)

I'm sure MMV vary based on location because it's mostly based on the skill of the dudes working there. But I would appreciate your general experience.

(ABT Electronics will not do it.)

Or if you want to recommend a decent place in the NW (Arl Hts) or W suburbs (Elgin) I would listen to that, too.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
How about doing it yourself?

NissanClub.com's forums are very rich with info. Using that site I've done a ton of installations on my car that would've cost $1000+ had i not done it myself.

My only experience with getting something installed were some rear-deck speakers at circuit city. They decided to only use 2 screws per speaker instead of the typical 4, and they rattled like crazy. Ever since then, I've done everything myself.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
NO!
i had my headunit installed from Circuit City (same type of morons work at Best Buy) back in 2004 cuz I didnt know what I was doing back then. Then I replaced my headunit myself last year after reading up on stuff. When I took out the headunit CC installed, i discovered that they cut the factory harness out and soldered the wires to the headunit instead of using an adaptor

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
id never let them touch my car

get the stuff from crutchfield and they send you all the diagrams and harness/fittings you need

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I wouldn't let them. A woman at my office said her son had them install his and they ended up drilling a hole into his gas tank :roll:

I don't shop there nor would I ever let them install anything

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
easy enough to install a deck into a car that already has a deck in it. pull the old one out, mark the power, ground and remote wires, then separate the speaker wires and just transfer them to the new one. easy peasy, and the adapter tail and face plate can be bought at any stereo shop (notice i didnt say best buy or circ city).

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I wanted to get a stereo system (sub + 4 full range speakers + headunit (only cassette player came with the truck) + amps) but they said it would cost over $1000 to install. I definitely dont have that kind of money. But I dont see how I can do it myself. Running the wires would be a PITA cause I dont want them to show.

dbot

Jan 28, 2004
Im in MD, but i used to work at BestBuy and I know most of them are pretty incompetent.

Infact when i worked there, I got an amp, and subwoofer installed and they blew my factory head unit out.

The good thing is, when they do something like this, they have to replace the unit and so I could a brand new $500 pioneer unit out of it.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I didn't realize Best Buy installed things you didn't buy there.

Rep at Best Buy told me they could. Though the install price is still expensive. (around $1200 for the whole works)

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I didn't realize Best Buy installed things you didn't buy there.

Rep at Best Buy told me they could. Though the install price is still expensive. (around $1200 for the whole works)

I had a head unit installed a few months ago I bought on the internet. After it was done they asked me for my receipt, I asked why and they told me it's free when you buy the head unit. I told them I didn't have it with me, dude pulled one out of the trash, copied down the receipt # on my install order and I just had to pay for parts. Frickin sweet.

All that being said, I would get them to do something like a head unit install but nothing too major.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
I had a friend of mine get a job at Circuit City once in the car stereo department. She didn't know anything about car audio. In order to "get certified," all she had to do was install a radio in her own car. THat was all, then she started working on other people's things.

I've seen work from both Circuit City and Best Buy in the car audio department. It's really cheap work and generally will not hold up well over time. Go to a reputable certified car audio shop. You pay for what you get, I promise