Question Best budget (under $300) X570 mobo for Ryzen 3600(X)? Now that initial prices have subsided.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Noticed that there are now a number of "budget X570" offerings from the major mfgs. (Meaning, under $200.)

My only real requirements are:
ATX
2x GPU (or more)
1x PCI-E x1, x4 a bonus, for a 2.5GbE-T (x1) or a 10GbE-T card (x4)
1x PCI-E 4.0 x4 NVMe, though 2x and RAID 0/1 support preferred.
4x usable SATA6G (after all of the above), more as bonus.

Integrated Wifi a bonus, but not a requirement.
Integrated 2.5 / 10 GbE-T a bonus too, but not if it costs more than an add-in card costs. (2.5GbE-T RealTek 8125 chipset PCI-E x1 cards are $20 from China.)

The ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 ticks pretty-much all the boxes on my list, and has an integrated M.2 wifi socket. (I can get a Fenvi AX200 kit with bracket / antenna, and heatsink, for ~$31.)

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Noticed that there are now a number of "budget X570" offerings from the major mfgs. (Meaning, under $200.)

ATX
2x GPU (or more)

Integrated 2.5 / 10 GbE-T a bonus too, but not if it costs more than an add-in card costs. (2.5GbE-T RealTek 8125 chipset PCI-E x1 cards are $20 from China.)

The ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 ticks pretty-much all the boxes on my list, and has an integrated M.2 wifi socket. (I can get a Fenvi AX200 kit with bracket / antenna, and heatsink, for ~$31.)

I like the feature set of the Gaming 4 but the VRM cooling is a bit weak. I think the Steal legend (which has a wifi version) or Aurus Elite would get my vote.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
From what I've seen around various forums, the Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus (with or without WIFI) seems to be a budget board people seem like based on build quality.

Reactions: Zstream
Feb 4, 2009

ATX
2x GPU (or more)

One thing I don’t like on my asrock steel legend x570 and it appears to be the same on all asrock 570 boards the chipset fan is ridiculously close to the pcie graphics slot longer cards will definitely obscure the fan.
I have a short length 1660ti but anything longer or with wider fans will cover the chipset fan. Not entirely block it but obstruct it.
Temps appear fine but it bothers me that the damn fan couldn’t be designed to be a little lower.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
One thing I don’t like on my asrock steel legend x570 and it appears to be the same on all asrock 570 boards the chipset fan is ridiculously close to the pcie graphics slot longer cards will definitely obscure the fan.
I have a short length 1660ti but anything longer or with wider fans will cover the chipset fan. Not entirely block it but obstruct it.
Temps appear fine but it bothers me that the damn fan couldn’t be designed to be a little lower.

im confused is it under 300 or budget? the chipset temp is going to be fine even fully blocked and passive.
my choice would be tiachi x570 or a used creator x570 if you look hard enough might find one for 300 :p to bad the tiachi only has gb intel ethernet ;( feel like it should have had dual lan.

Feb 4, 2009
im confused is it under 300 or budget? the chipset temp is going to be fine even fully blocked and passive.
my choice would be tiachi x570 or a used creator x570 if you look hard enough might find one for 300 :p to bad the tiachi only has gb intel ethernet ;( feel like it should have had dual lan.

I know just irritating to see something like this
*not my machine google image*

DC6326F6-ED0D-4C82-8878-A254F55FAF86.jpeg

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I know just irritating to see something like this
*not my machine google image*

View attachment 15629

but you realize what temp the fan kicks on @? even pulling hot air from the side of the gfx card will be ok! might even do your gfx card a favor haaaa, not frustrating to me but i havnt owned a chipset fan since 939 opteron days. im not fancy enough to need nvme pcie4 i guess ;'( x470 taichi ultimate will have to do for the next few years, ticked all my boxes loads of ports dual lan audio thats Ok, usb c....

Feb 4, 2009
but you realize what temp the fan kicks on @? even pulling hot air from the side of the gfx card will be ok! might even do your gfx card a favor haaaa, not frustrating to me but i havnt owned a chipset fan since 939 opteron days. im not fancy enough to need nvme pcie4 i guess ;'( x470 taichi ultimate will have to do for the next few years, ticked all my boxes loads of ports dual lan audio thats Ok, usb c....

As of 1.6 bios fan is always on. I did set it in low to test temps, I forgot what they rose to but it wasn’t bad and it wasn’t great. I want to say 70C(?)
I know the setup works, just real irritating asrock is the only vendor with the damn fan so high up.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
From what I've seen around various forums, the Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus (with or without WIFI) seems to be a budget board people seem like based on build quality.

I guess I am happy with mine. I liked the 8 SATA ports instead of 6, and that I could use an M.2 w/ a heatsink and not get in the way of a video card. I'm not thrilled with 18 second boot times from it, even though I've tried every suggestion I've ever come across to reduce it. I suppose this could be true of any X570 board however.

The $150-ish price around Black Friday was the reason I went for it. I believe they are still under $200.

I don't really O/C or anything so I can't speak to its abilities there.

Reactions: killster1
Feb 4, 2009
I guess I am happy with mine. I liked the 8 SATA ports instead of 6, and that I could use an M.2 w/ a heatsink and not get in the way of a video card. I'm not thrilled with 18 second boot times from it, even though I've tried every suggestion I've ever come across to reduce it. I suppose this could be true of any X570 board however.

The $150-ish price around Black Friday was the reason I went for it. I believe they are still under $200.

I don't really O/C or anything so I can't speak to its abilities there.

Yeah, I think the slow(ish) boot times are a 570 thing. Mine takes longer than expected to boot too. Not super slow but slower than I’d expect.
Updated to 2.2 bios and it is faster but still slower than it should be.

Reactions: tracerbullet

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
As of 1.6 bios fan is always on. I did set it in low to test temps, I forgot what they rose to but it wasn’t bad and it wasn’t great. I want to say 70C(?)
I know the setup works, just real irritating asrock is the only vendor with the damn fan so high up.
Sadly your best bet is to make sure you have decent intake to help things.

It is a shame as most of the good budget / mid x570 boards have this design flaw and there are a lot of posts about it and probably why asus / asrock boards seem to be the only ones without the normal fan stop feature that the others have so it doesn't run at idle in most cases.

Feb 4, 2009
Sadly your best bet is to make sure you have decent intake to help things.

It is a shame as most of the good budget / mid x570 boards have this design flaw and there are a lot of posts about it and probably why asus / asrock boards seem to be the only ones without the normal fan stop feature that the others have so it doesn't run at idle in most cases.

yeah but it does appear to work fine, as I said it’s just irritating
I May do a nerd project like this guy did with his B450 board. There is maybe 15mm of clearance but I’m not positive, if not I’m sure I could fit an 80mm fan in there, maybe a 120mm fan

7C9A1081-C207-4163-B238-8DE3D3D2C307.jpeg

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
yeah but it does appear to work fine, as I said it’s just irritating
I May do a nerd project like this guy did with his B450 board. There is maybe 15mm of clearance but I’m not positive, if not I’m sure I could fit an 80mm fan in there, maybe a 120mm fan

View attachment 15695

lol. Got that budget GPU that doesn't even go to the PCH/southbridge and he's still paranoid?

Feb 4, 2009
lol. Got that budget GPU that doesn't even go to the PCH/southbridge and he's still paranoid?

No comments on that dudes setup, if I remember correctly he was obsessed about his chipset temps. Just an interesting solution. I have a spare fan I may try it out to just see if it works. Really low priority side project.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
No comments on that dudes setup, if I remember correctly he was obsessed about his chipset temps. Just an interesting solution. I have a spare fan I may try it out to just see if it works. Really low priority side project.

It should work. I think I'd use a 60 or 80mm fan though. A little velcro patch and stick it right on top would work nicely there.

Feb 4, 2009
It should work. I think I'd use a 60 or 80mm fan though. A little velcro patch and stick it right on top would work nicely there.

My case has a small hole in power supply shroud. I *may* drill another small hole and use that to anchor the fan.
Again not a high priority project, I’ll likely just stick the old antec fan on the shroud with a rubber pad or something to absorb vibrations. Check bios and see if chipset is cooler.
First step is I need to establish what my typical current temp is.

Edit: I saw some super slim fans from a major vendor (can’t remember which) I think they were 12 or 15mm wide. That width may fit under the graphics card if so mounting solution is a non issue but I’d likely have to figure out how to prevent it from rattling while running.

PHYLO

Jul 22, 2019
Fyi, the comments on slow boot times; this is an issue with all Ryzen processors and not just a specific motherboard generation. Zen 2 CPU boot times are slightly faster than Zen, but it's still much slower than Intel's boot times.

Lets hope AMD can eventually reduce boot times to Intel's level. But lets be honest, it's not really that big of a deal having to wait 10-20 seconds for your PC to boot...

Feb 4, 2009
Fyi, the comments on slow boot times; this is an issue with all Ryzen processors and not just a specific motherboard generation. Zen 2 CPU boot times are slightly faster than Zen, but it's still much slower than Intel's boot times.

Lets hope AMD can eventually reduce boot times to Intel's level. But lets be honest, it's not really that big of a deal having to wait 10-20 seconds for your PC to boot...

Agreed, my machine boots slower than expected but it’s not a deal breaker. Just sort of weird.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

My Ryzen builds do not boot slower than my Intel computers.

Reactions: PHYLO

PHYLO

Jul 22, 2019
My Ryzen builds do not boot slower than my Intel computers.

Interesting. You must be lucky!

My 3700X, X470, and m.2 NVMe SSD boots much slower than my old 4790k, z97, sata ssd build. Is also slower than my gf's 6 year old ASUS gaming laptop that she put a sata ssd into.

Reports online also say Ryzen has always booted slower than Intel.

Feb 4, 2009
Interesting. You must be lucky!

My 3700X, X470, and m.2 NVMe SSD boots much slower than my old 4790k, z97, sata ssd build. Is also slower than my gf's 6 year old ASUS gaming laptop that she put a sata ssd into.

Reports online also say Ryzen has always booted slower than Intel.

yeah, my Ryzen boots a noticeable amount slower than my Q9650 did on a fresh windows install. Noticeable is around 20 seconds difference.
I am using the same ssd at the moment. I repurposed the drive.

Reactions: PHYLO

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So people here have Ryzen builds that take 10 - 20 seconds longer to boot than Intel systems?

AMD released a BIOS update that should have made a difference to most users: www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/amd-ryzen-new-firmware-microcode-msi-agesa-1004-boot-times

I've never timed my boot times with my different builds, but main system is in my signature, and I've never turned it on or restarted it, and thought that it was slow. Maybe using SATA SSDs are slower? I use NVMe drives in all my PCs (outside of my new Intel laptop), and they are all fast. However, my laptop isn't as fast resuming from things like hibernation.

Edit: I was curious, so my BIOS boot time on my Ryzen 2700X build was 14.5 seconds, while my wife's Intel desktop time was 9.5 seconds. I guess the 5 second difference never really stood out to me compared to how long boot times used to be.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

PHYLO

Jul 22, 2019
So people here have Ryzen builds that take 10 - 20 seconds longer to boot than Intel systems?

AMD released a BIOS update that should have made a difference to most users: www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/amd-ryzen-new-firmware-microcode-msi-agesa-1004-boot-times

I've never timed my boot times with my different builds, but main system is in my signature, and I've never turned it on or restarted it, and thought that it was slow. Maybe using SATA SSDs are slower? I use NVMe drives in all my PCs (outside of my new Intel laptop), and they are all fast. However, my laptop isn't as fast resuming from things like hibernation.

Yep, I'm on the latest bios (and chipset driver). I've got an Inland Premium m.2 NVMe. I've tried multiple "fixes" people have found online but nothing has made much of a difference. Still slower boot times than any Intel based computer I own (and one my friends own) with just a SATA SSD in it.

My Intel computers boot in 4-6 seconds. My AMD Zen 2 build with the m.2 NVMe boots in 15 sec.

It isn't a big issue for me. It honestly doesn't bother me at all because 15 sec is manageable and nothing to really be disturbed about. I'm just happy it isn't HDD boot speeds from 10 years ago, lol.

edit: added that I'm on latest chipset driver as well.