Best book for creating webpages for n00bs?

RecklaZ

Mar 13, 2001
I have very little html background and i was wondering what are some great books out there to help a n00b create a decent website. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: If you guys have links it will be helpful too.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Word of advice.
With all the resources out there, trying to do too much at first is confusing. Take all the sites presented here and pick one.. i recommend w3schools just like the above poster. They have great tutorials, examples, and quizzes at each step of the way.

1) HTML, then XTML ... and learn it in notepad, master the basics. (start/end tags, use only current tags, not depracated)
2) Later, you can learn CSS to format what you've already learned. make it pretty and position it properly.. lol
3) some script language after a few weeks for interactivity
4) And finally a little ASP to add some dynamic content

:Q Don't move on to the next step before you master the previous one :Q

Also try webmonkey, webreference, devguru and wdvl

Question for the HTML pros: Are tables still used for positioning.. or is it all Spans/Divs and CSS.. (I know basic web stuff.. i'm out of the loop)

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: ajpa123
Word of advice.
With all the resources out there, trying to do too much at first is confusing. Take all the sites presented here and pick one.. i recommend w3schools just like the above poster. They have great tutorials, examples, and quizzes at each step of the way.

1) HTML, then XTML ... and learn it in notepad, master the basics. (start/end tags, use only current tags, not depracated)
2) Later, you can learn CSS to format what you've already learned. make it pretty and position it properly.. lol
3) some script language after a few weeks for interactivity
4) And finally a little ASP to add some dynamic content

:Q Don't move on to the next step before you master the previous one :Q

Also try webmonkey, webreference, devguru and wdvl

Question for the HTML pros: Are tables still used for positioning.. or is it all Spans/Divs and CSS.. (I know basic web stuff.. i'm out of the loop)

Tables are still very much used because browsers can't seem to agree on how to render CSS formatted pages most of the time.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Thanks for the reply Yoda..
I have a lot of free time in the upcoming 2 months, so i am going to make a website of some kind.. Just gettin the initial ideas and planning together :)

Anyone know any good sites or articles that explain how the brain perceives/processes color schemes and layouts. Something like a dumbo's guide to colorschemes and layouts that are pleasing to the brain, but include detailed info about how the brain works in this process.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ajpa123
Thanks for the reply Yoda..
I have a lot of free time in the upcoming 2 months, so i am going to make a website of some kind.. Just gettin the initial ideas and planning together :)

Anyone know any good sites or articles that explain how the brain perceives/processes color schemes and layouts. Something like a dumbo's guide to colorschemes and layouts that are pleasing to the brain, but include detailed info about how the brain works in this process.

I like this page

Text

Jim

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Word of advice. Every kid in the united states can make web pages and they work really cheap.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ajpa123, please don't suggest ASP. Maybe for convenience if he's already running IIS on his Windows machine, but it's just not a good way to go anymore.

PHP is the dynamic scripting language you want. Cost and practicality reasons.

Anyway, I do also suggest webmonkey and htmlgoodies. (Never liked books)

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71
ajpa123, please don't suggest ASP. Maybe for convenience if he's already running IIS on his Windows machine, but it's just not a good way to go anymore.

PHP is the dynamic scripting language you want. Cost and practicality reasons.

Anyway, I do also suggest webmonkey and htmlgoodies. (Never liked books)

thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into that.

I have only used ASP and have never used PHP.

Nite Nites :D