Best BIOS Version for Sabertooth P67

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by ErkTR, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ErkTR

ErkTR Junior Member

Hi everyone. I'm a newly registered member of AT Forums although i've been reading for a couple of years.

I have some questions about ASUS P67 Sabertooth.
    What is the best BIOS version for this mobo? I searched a lot on the internet but apparently there's no info on that subject. I've seen a few guys though, that wrote stuff about BIOSes but nothing complete. So i decided to ask about your experiences? The question is, which BIOS i should use to get the most stable OC out of that board and 2600K.

Thanks a lot.

2. Puppies04

Puppies04 Diamond Member

One would imagine the latest Bios (3602) would be the "best" as it would contain the largest amount of bug fixes. That said, I am a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke and you aren't aware of any potential problems with your existing bios" then leave it well alone ethos.

For example I seem to recall someone updating a P67 or Z68 mobo to a later bios that included compatibility for IB CPUs only to find that their mobo no longer liked their SB CPU. Issues like this are usually fixable but who needs that sort of stress when there is nothing wrong with your system in the first place.

3. ErkTR

ErkTR Junior Member

Well, actually, if i had a stable and established OC setting before, i wouldn't really bother in any possible way. (Except a problematic issue of course.)

But i'll OC since i have a new cooler now. And i'm trying to find the most stable BIOS. This is what i wrote to another forum:

4. Redinit

Redinit Member

Ideally the best version is the one with little to no issues. What may work for my Motherboard may not work for your motherboard of the same model if we have different hardware.

5. crazymonkeyzero

crazymonkeyzero Senior member

The "best bios" is a working bios. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bios updates are often risky, and it isn't worth risking turning your mobo into a useless paper weight, unless you really need the update for new hardware. So if all your components are working fine, no point in updating to the latest bios for fun. Just some food for thought.

6. ErkTR

ErkTR Junior Member

I don't think that it's risky to update a BIOS. I've done that at least 20 times and even if the next update fails, the fail ratio will be %5. :)

BIOS has an EEPROM type memory which means we can control it's read/write behaviour with electric signals. A BIOS doesn't fail under normal conditions and it shouldn't fail if we want to update it. But if system fails during the update process, (which is actually flashing the memory, erasing the existing data and writing the new data) BIOS becomes corrupted because it doesn't have the required info that POSTs and boots a computer. When that's the case, computer behaves strange and most often it doesn't boot.

And also, here is a good info from WikiPedia:

7. spinejam

spinejam Diamond Member