Best bang for buck - older midlevel system

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bilirubin

Nov 13, 2011
tried Portal again with the case open at full 1600x900 and it looks amazing, but gets way way too hot. Have backed off to 1275 or whatever and it runs at 75C, but now that I know what real resolution looks like I. Must. Have.

So I assume a micro ATX board will fit a ATX mid tower?

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
What is everyone's thoughts on perhaps underclocking the GPU? MSI afterburner?

Would it run cooler? Perhaps user control over the fan and make *sure* the GPU fan is at 100%?

-edit-

Yes a mATX board fits an ATX tower... However well designed MiniATX towers are great too :)

Bilirubin

Nov 13, 2011
Was just down inspecting my "dead" CPU. Turns out that the fellow I had in doing some web design managed to infect it with a ton of viruses despite McAffee (one of two computers he did this too, the other one was an easy fix). Low level format now underway but I was thinking of just dropping the Core 2 Quad mobo and hardware into it. Unfortunately, it seems Acer is using a proprietary case design--the box opens on the opposite side as every other case I have seen. Not sure the mobo will align properly. Will have to look at it side by side I think.

Advantage would be this old case has a 300 watt PS, and plenty of clearance

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Actually I think your case is just like any other but upside down. This may be the cause of the problem. Just sit it on its top and the video card's heat will rise away from the card rather than get trapped. Give it a try.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Borrow a friend's dremel tool, or take to a buddy's auto/body shop, have them cut a hole above the card, take a 92mm or so fan grille there so it will look good when done (and keep cables/etc from falling in).

chandra.hp

Nov 1, 2011
Question folks... I'm looking for a video card under $50 shipped (after a rebate if there is one). Is there anything that will get me close to a performance of a 8800GT? My video card went toast (8800GT) went toast and I'm trying to wing it out till the next gen cards roll out.

Any advice is appreciated.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Question folks... I'm looking for a video card under $50 shipped (after a rebate if there is one). Is there anything that will get me close to a performance of a 8800GT? My video card went toast (8800GT) went toast and I'm trying to wing it out till the next gen cards roll out.

Imho the 5670 or so should do just that, or a used GTS250 which is also pretty decent or slightly better. Check CL, the FS/FT section here, etc. Lots of possibilities.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

A gts450 for 60$AR is your best bet on newegg. Much faster than a 8800gt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162062

Never mind, you found it.

Bilirubin

Nov 13, 2011
Actually I think your case is just like any other but upside down. This may be the cause of the problem. Just sit it on its top and the video card's heat will rise away from the card rather than get trapped. Give it a try.

OK, funny thing, but turning the case upside down dropped the max temp from 100 to 87 in consecutive sessions. Looks funny, but whatever. Good enough until I get another case. Thanks for the tip!

Bilirubin

Nov 13, 2011
Thanks again guys! The performance increase this new card, even if its not top line, has given me is night and day. We are well into weekend stress test two and I played many hours with acceptable framarates (between 16-40+, averaging near 30). Never noticed any lag or stuttering. It may not be 100s fps, but beyond a certain point you can't tell the difference anyway so this has been an excellent investment for this system.