Best Approach in implementing Multiple RAID volume with SATA and/or SCU

shankee

Dec 14, 2013
Hello Experts,

I have a Lenovo D30 machine (Intel C600 series chipset) which contains SCU (5x3Gbps) and SATA (2x6Gbps+2x3Gbps) ports. I basically want to put two HDDs in RAID0 configuration for performance and two HDDs in RAID1 for reliability. The two HDD in RAID0 will be connected to the two Red SATA connector which support 6Gbps.

Now, I am not able to come to a conclusion where to plug my other two HDDs which will be in RAID1 configuration. I am not really that familiar with the SCU interfaces and its RAID abilities. One advantage I found with SCU is the ability to support SAS HDD with a supporting connector module. All my HDD are SATA and I have no plans or using SAS now or in the near future.

Now, the questions I have are:
1. How different is the SCU RAID options compared to Intel SATA RAID option?
2. Will there be any advantage/disadvantage, if I use the SCU interface for RAID1 and SATA for RAID0?
3. Also/or, should I create both the RAID volumes using only the SATA connectors? Is there an advantage/disadvantage here?
4. SCU or SATA? Which will be a better option if one of my HDD in RAID1 volume crashed and I needed to rebuild it.

I could use some advice in trying to implement this the best possible and thoroughly thought-out way as possible. Thanks to everyone in advance.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]