Best AntiVirus/Security Suite for my Laptop ?

varunmehta11

May 7, 2009
I've bought a new Laptop, Dell Studio 14. I wanna have the best Antivirus Software for my Laptop that has the best Malware Detection and also should take less of System Resources(Memory,CPU). I've some options from my side:

1)Avira AntiVir Personal Free New version 10
2)Avast 5 Professional Edition

Please provide me the best option out of the two above (or mention any other antivirus better than the two)

My Laptop Config:
Dell Studio 14
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i3-350 2.26Ghz
Ram: 4 GB DDR3
Hard Disk : 320 GB 7200 RPM

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Either of the two AV's will be fine. Avira has high detection rates and an annoying ad and Avast is the most complete free AV with decent detection rates and many different shields.

If I were to buy a suite, I would suggest Kaspersky Internet Security. It can normally be found on sale online regularly. If I were to buy an AV, it would be Avira Premium but I'm not sure if version 5 is ready for prime time just yet as it was just released.

If your computer didn't come with restore disks I would make them ASAP. I would also create a limited user/standard user account for daily use. This will go along way in keeping you safe. http://www.mechbgon.com/build/Limited.html

Congrats on your new lappy :).

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Why not use the free MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS? My PC has been proven clean after using this program since a new Windows 7 install this past November. Plus it's Microsoft so it seems to work very intimately with the OS and it's very lightweight as far as footprint goes.