Best and affordable Password Manager

Tech-savy

Apr 20, 2015
There are many password managers in the market. Some of the big names are really expensive. Can you please suggest any Good password manager , which is not so costly unlike others?:confused:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Another vote for keepass. I also like that it has a portable version that you can use as well.

Alexndro

Apr 21, 2015
Try Enpass Password Manager as it's the best and affordable Password manager. It's best because the app doesn't save any of my information on their server.
It's the most cost effective password manager as the desktop version of the app is totally free and for mobile it costs one time fee for lifetime license. So I must recommend Enpass password manager.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I use a Firefox addon called PWDhash, but other passwords are stored in Keepass. If you use Keepass make sure you backup the database.

Tech-savy

Apr 20, 2015
Try Enpass Password Manager as it's the best and affordable Password manager. It's best because the app doesn't save any of my information on their server.
It's the most cost effective password manager as the desktop version of the app is totally free and for mobile it costs one time fee for lifetime license. So I must recommend Enpass password manager.

yes, have read about it on webupd8 : http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/enpass-password-manager-available-for.html
Looks interesting!

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I have read about malware that targets password managers

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/malware-targets-password-managers-a-7602/op-1

The latest version of Citadel watches an infected PC to see if users activate one of several types of password managers. If so, the malware begins keystroke logging to capture and relay the master password - for the password management software - to the attackers. Stealing this master password "enables the cyber-attacker to unlock and access the entire list" of usernames and passwords being stored inside the password manager, says Dana Tamir, director of enterprise security for IBM's Trusteer, in a blog post.

Rony Shapiro, the developer behind Password Safe, one of the password management applications targeted by the latest version of Citadel, tells Information Security Media Group that users of the application can defend against Citadel attacks in two ways. "It appears that changing the name of the executable would suffice. That is, renaming pwsafe.exe to nothing_here.exe would be enough to avoid Citadel from capturing the master passphrase," thus allowing attackers to decrypt the passwords stored by the application, Shapiro says.

So renaming the portable executable and only using machines you trust is a precaution to still follow.

The article is 6 months or so old so it may not be up to date. Just a heads u.

11thHour

Feb 20, 2004
It's ignorant to leave out Roboform, which is nothing short of great. A bit dated gui, but hasn't been in the news, like lastpass, for leaving customers vulnerable. (Granted there have been some claims, but nothing proven afaik.)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It's ignorant to leave out Roboform, which is nothing short of great. A bit dated gui, but hasn't been in the news, like lastpass, for leaving customers vulnerable. (Granted there have been some claims, but nothing proven afaik.)

True. And, $19.95 a year is hardly expensive.

Feb 19, 2001
I feel like Lastpass is still honestly the best given broad support with browser plugins and cross platform compatibility.

Don't let the recent breach scare you. The company was very transparent about the breach, and if you understand what happened, it's not that big of a deal. Essentially hashes got leaked, but if you assume for the worst that everyone's hashes got compromised, well you still need to account for the fact that 100k rounds of PBKDF2 are used AND LastPass does salt passwords. So even if you assume some cluster which is capable of hacking your SHA1 password in a ridiculous 1 day period, now assume that they will take 100k times of that and after all that effort of cracking 1 password, you can only get 1 user's worth of data.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had a reasonably strong master password to begin with, that even not changing it wouldn't kill you in the next couple of years.