Best AGP card for under $50?

justinn

Jan 12, 2008
Just looking for a decent AGP card to go with a P4 2.8ghz & 1024 mb ram. Might do some light gaming with it (CS:S), but that's about it.

Also, I would prefer not to buy one off eBay.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Go to newegg, and do a seach for AGP and a 50 price range, then get the latest generation and call it good.

You should note that at that price, for AGP (which is more expensive then PCI express) you will get nothing but crap. I found this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814131039

It is probably the best of the lot, but it is not all that great.

ManWithNoName

Oct 19, 2007
Originally posted by: justinn
Just looking for a decent AGP card to go with a P4 2.8ghz & 1024 mb ram. Might do some light gaming with it (CS:S), but that's about it.

Also, I would prefer not to buy one off eBay.

What's you current video card? Integrated? You may need to spend another $20 to get a better one.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Look for a used X800XT or X850XT...it's generally faster than newer "mid-range" cards such as the X2600XT (unless you play 3dMark or other similar benchmarking tools rather than actual games;). Strange how "newer" mid-range cards never seem to be faster than a year to 2 old "higher-end" cards.

I'm using a couple of these cards and am debating on upgrading. I find it hard to upgrade though since a X800XT can pretty much run anything I throw at it with mostly high quality settings and moderate resolutions (~1000x800). Also, I play a little older games such as COH (original), BF2 and LOTR-BFME (original) using a 19" CRTs so I don't have a need to run higher resolutions.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
In this price range, you're going to want to go used as others have said. Otherwise you'll end up buying some POS low end card, with all the new graphic features but so little horsepower it can't use any of them to display anything but a slideshow.

My wife's machine has a x850xt and its a pretty tough card even still for some older games.