Best 850W power supply

Cometer

Nov 21, 2008
I'm looking for the best 850W Power supply.
I'm considering the Corsair TX 850W. But at my retailer theree are other options like the Antec truepower 850W (more expensive than the corsair) and many others.

What is for you guys the best 850W power supply out there?

Beanie46

Feb 16, 2009
Depends upon your definition of best, but so far, little else has held a candle to the Antec Signature 850 for voltage regulation, ripple and noise, and quietness. Of course, there is a price to be paid for it, expensive, but if you want best, you have to pay for best (~$250.)

Other choices.......Seasonic M12D 850W---not quite as clean running as the Antec Sig, but very, very close, as is its price (~$299); I'd probably also include the Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, based on the 1050W reviews---another very high end power supply, but again, costly (~$289.)

Personally, if you can do without the snob appeal of having the absolute "best" and will instead take the savings and move up in video cards or cpus, you'd probably see more benefit from doing that. If that's your route, then the Corsair 850TX is about unbeatable at $120 after rebate for its performance.

Cometer

Nov 21, 2008
I'm planning on building an enthusiast computer. GTX 260 - 216 SLI, core i7 920. I'll overclock both the gx and the 920. Do you think I'll have any issues if I pick the Corsair?

I'm checking my supplier, but I only see the Antec Truepower Quattro 850w Modular. What is your opinion on that one ?

The power supplies I get access to are at the following link

http://www.pccomponentes.com/F...ES_ALIMENTACION-3.html

Any good one you would recommend on that list?

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
The TPQ 850 is a good PSU, but I would choose the Corsair unless you want modular.

Cometer

Nov 21, 2008
Modular would be good to keep the case clean for a higher air flow. I'm using the CM 932 HAF case. But I'm a bit afraid that I could have problem OC and all that if I go towards a less reliable power supply just because I preferred modular.
DO you think I would have any issues if I picked the Antec TPQ 850 vs the Corsair?

Tboy012

Jun 18, 2007
If your going to be spending more then $230 for a psu, might as well pick up the Corsair HX1000. At least this way, you have more headroom for more parts and oc'ing w/out running into problems

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Cometer
I'm planning on building an enthusiast computer. GTX 260 - 216 SLI, core i7 920. I'll overclock both the gx and the 920. Do you think I'll have any issues if I pick the Corsair?

You'll have no issues at all. In fact, you won't need anywhere NEAR 850w... more like 450w or less.

To have enough headroom for future upgrades (SLI, etc.), 850w isn't a bad choice if you have the cash sitting around. If it's putting any kind of dent in your budget, you'll do just fine with a 500w, 650w, 750w, etc.

The Corsair would be a great choice.

Tboy012

Jun 18, 2007
Please help me understand this CurseTheSky..

How is it possible that i920 + 260-216 sli rig can be handled by a psu with a rating of 450?

OP also mentioned in his other thread that he will be oc'ing his cpu, which is known to reqiure alot of power.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Originally posted by: Tboy012
Please help me understand this CurseTheSky..

How is it possible that i920 + 260-216 sli rig can be handled by a psu with a rating of 450?

OP also mentioned in his other thread that he will be oc'ing his cpu, which is known to reqiure alot of power.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3520&p=11

According to this a Core i7 running @ 3.2 GHz and running two 260 GTX uses only 396 watts at full load. So maybe the power supply needs to be a little bigger than 450 watt (but not by much)

Actually wouldn't a 850 watt power supply be more for quad sli with two 295 GTXs?

Beanie46

Feb 16, 2009
Originally posted by: Just learning

According to this a Core i7 running @ 3.2 GHz and running two 260 GTX uses only 396 watts at full load. So maybe the power supply needs to be a little bigger than 450 watt (but not by much)

Unfortunately, what you've linked to is a stock speed system, an i7 965 cpu running at stock voltage and stock speeds, along with the video cards at stock voltages and speeds, completely ignoring the OP's "I'm going to overclock the cpu and gpu's..." comment.

OC'ing the i7 cpu requires increasing the core voltage and i7's use a LOT of power when overclocking, and generate a lot of heat, too.

This also doesn't take into account that two 260-216 cards running overvolted to OC them also adds to the ps output requirements.

Using the Extreme Outervision wattage requirement guesstimator, putting in an i7 920 OC'd to 4GHz on 1.3V (admittedly undervolted for such an ambitious overclock), 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM, two 260-216 video cards in SLI, two SATA hard drives, three 120mm fans, one PCI-e x1 card...for sound card, 90% system load gives a recommended PSU wattage of 602W. Not wholly unrealistic power requirements or system setup.

To think that an OC'd i7 with two OC'd 260-216 video cards would run smoothly on a 450W power supply is just beyond reason. Even if it did run, the power supply would be so close to running at 100% of rated output its life would be quite short indeed and would be at the worst end of efficiency, ripple and noise generation, and at the highest end of heat generation.

Honestly, trying to run his system with a small power supply, like a 450-500W unit, is just being penny-wise but pound-foolish. I cannot believe in this day and age people still advocate tying to save a couple of dollars on one of the most important pieces in a computer....the power supply.

Since power supplies are at their most efficient running at 50-60% of rated output, wouldn't it make sense to buy a little larger to get into that sweet spot of efficiency, not to mention having the ps run cooler, quieter, less stressed, and leave room for future expansion instead of running it at its ragged edge and have to replace it the next time the video cards are upgraded or cpu is upgraded?

Buy the Corsair 850TX.....it's not horribly expensive, has a solid +12V rail, good specs, has tested out very well on JonnyGuru, will run in the system you're building at under 60% of rated capacity, leave room for expansion, and not make you spend your money twice down the road.

starfireone

Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Tboy012
If your going to be spending more then $230 for a psu, might as well pick up the Corsair HX1000. At least this way, you have more headroom for more parts and oc'ing w/out running into problems

I agree better to have more than less. Never heard anyone complaining that
they have too large a PSU. I always believe in having room to grow down the
road. This way I save bucks and don't have to replace something as fast.

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
I would choose the Seasonic M12D-850W though you don't need anywhere near 850W. Enermax Modu82+ 625W would be fine for your needs.

Sacraster

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Scoop
I would choose the Seasonic M12D-850W though you don't need anywhere near 850W. Enermax Modu82+ 625W would be fine for your needs.

agree with seasonic m12d

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
PSU junkies... :laugh: My neighbor is running a rig almost identical to the OP with a Corsair 550VX, and it isn't even close to being stressed. I'd just get a 650TX and call it a day. It's a great bargain @$89AR w/ free shipping.

I understand that enthusiasts want to overbuild everything, but an 850W for system like that is a bit absurd.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, the guy who said a 450w would be fine was closer than anyone who thinks he needs 850...

i would have zero qualms about running that rig off a 650w psu.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: zxc367
if you have the money to blow then get the enermax revolution 85+

I would save $50+ and get the Corsair HX850 which is at least as good and has a 7 year warranty versus only 3 for the Enermax.

Review.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Cometer
I'm looking for the best 850W Power supply.
I'm considering the Corsair TX 850W. But at my retailer theree are other options like the Antec truepower 850W (more expensive than the corsair) and many others.

What is for you guys the best 850W power supply out there?

Antec Signature 850
Enermax Revolution 850
Corsair HX850
Seasonic M12D 850

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Beanie46
Originally posted by: Just learning

Unfortunately, what you've linked to is a stock speed system, an i7 965 cpu running at stock voltage and stock speeds, along with the video cards at stock voltages and speeds, completely ignoring the OP's "I'm going to overclock the cpu and gpu's..." comment.

OC'ing the i7 cpu requires increasing the core voltage and i7's use a LOT of power when overclocking, and generate a lot of heat, too.

This also doesn't take into account that two 260-216 cards running overvolted to OC them also adds to the ps output requirements.

Using the Extreme Outervision wattage requirement guesstimator, putting in an i7 920 OC'd to 4GHz on 1.3V (admittedly undervolted for such an ambitious overclock), 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM, two 260-216 video cards in SLI, two SATA hard drives, three 120mm fans, one PCI-e x1 card...for sound card, 90% system load gives a recommended PSU wattage of 602W. Not wholly unrealistic power requirements or system setup.

To think that an OC'd i7 with two OC'd 260-216 video cards would run smoothly on a 450W power supply is just beyond reason. Even if it did run, the power supply would be so close to running at 100% of rated output its life would be quite short indeed and would be at the worst end of efficiency, ripple and noise generation, and at the highest end of heat generation.

Honestly, trying to run his system with a small power supply, like a 450-500W unit, is just being penny-wise but pound-foolish. I cannot believe in this day and age people still advocate tying to save a couple of dollars on one of the most important pieces in a computer....the power supply.

Since power supplies are at their most efficient running at 50-60% of rated output, wouldn't it make sense to buy a little larger to get into that sweet spot of efficiency, not to mention having the ps run cooler, quieter, less stressed, and leave room for future expansion instead of running it at its ragged edge and have to replace it the next time the video cards are upgraded or cpu is upgraded?

Buy the Corsair 850TX.....it's not horribly expensive, has a solid +12V rail, good specs, has tested out very well on JonnyGuru, will run in the system you're building at under 60% of rated capacity, leave room for expansion, and not make you spend your money twice down the road.

This is the same argument that you always use. "It's stock speed but hes gonna overclock". Which is true, for sure, but even overclocking the i7 from stock to 4gHz or so, and the gpus maybe 10-15% really doesn't add that much. Definitely not enough to justify a 200w bigger PSU. The OP would still easily be fine with a 650w or so without being pound foolish

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Exactly, 650W Corsair would be perfect.

Now, if you just MUST have an 850, for whatever reason, I'd still go with Corsair (even though that Antec Signature is really sexy).