Best 24 Inch IPS Monitor For Gaming? Anything Better Than This?

Cassius101

Aug 29, 2013
My budget is 200$. I'm planning on a dual monitor set up for the year since I might get a 4K/OLED Hybrid television to use as a monitor/console gaming at the end of the year. I might be using this IPS panel I buy for a 2nd monitor when I upgrade at the end of 2014.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7874943&csid=_61 IPS monitor.

Are any 24" IPS monitors 150-200$ better than this?

I currently have this monitor, the "gaming" features are exaggerated, I give it a 7.5/10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014345

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
The first link is broken or something.

A gaming monitor is basically a monitor with a very fast response rate. 1ms IS a very fast response rate.

I own a LG Flatron IPS234V with a rated 14ms response rate. I tell you, side by side with an old 5ms TN TFT from Samsung? It feels way faster, and it doesn't have any ghosting whatsoever. The new replacement, the IPS235, is rated at 5ms. It's also pretty cheap, so might be a monitor to consider.

I am very VERY satisfied with my IPS monitor. The picture quality is awesome, I play competitively on it and it behaves great.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Still can't access that link. The site looks down from here, get a "can't access" error. Must be because I'm on the other side of the pound.

Anyway, do you really want to spend more money on a better support and less wobbliness? My screen IS wobbly and the menu is hard to navigate. But I only use it very VERY rarely and I don't live in a earthquake area, thankfully. I understand if those things are important to you, but they're not to me.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
The first link is broken or something.

A gaming monitor is basically a monitor with a very fast response rate. 1ms IS a very fast response rate.

I own a LG Flatron IPS234V with a rated 14ms response rate. I tell you, side by side with an old 5ms TN TFT from Samsung? It feels way faster, and it doesn't have any ghosting whatsoever. The new replacement, the IPS235, is rated at 5ms. It's also pretty cheap, so might be a monitor to consider.

I am very VERY satisfied with my IPS monitor. The picture quality is awesome, I play competitively on it and it behaves great.

the link is not broken. it worked for me.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Just saw a CNET review, this LG model is better. The problem with LG Monitors is the chassis is cheap and not well made, the menu controls are difficult to navigate and ports are harder to access. Are there any good IPS monitors out there? I'm looking for a 24 inch one at 200$ max.
your kidding right?

I have had no problems with my LG monitor!!

Have you ever had an LG monitor?

Wolfpup

Jan 25, 2006
I guess I'll post here as I've got basically the same question...

Looking for a 24 or 27" monitor that's as high quality as possible that also works for gaming. i.e. great viewing angles/image quality, hopefully no ghosting or "reverse ghosting", etc. Prefer NOT having TN, although honestly my older Dell TN monitors are fairly great.

Dell's Ultrasharp line LOOKS like a good choice...not sure if there are issues though if they work well for gaming.

This G-Sync stuff sounds awesome but I don't think much uses it yet...not sure if it means you get fewer ports or it only works with a Geforce GPU either...

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I'd say you have a few basic options if you ignore G-Sync. One is the Dell P2714H. 27", 1080p, excellent response time (in terms of input processing and display lag), and only $320 from Amazon. Another is the HP ZR2740w v2 (make sure it's the second revision! HP did a silent switch, so as long as it's from 2012 or later, you're good to go). With an equally good response time (enough to hide behind frame refresh limitations of 60Hz) and 27" of 1440p IPS goodness, it's the highest end gaming option that is also a good monitor. This is a step up in price, at $450 from B&H. The last and cheapest option is a 1080p, 23" monitor from Dell. At merely $200, you get virtually no lag.

To make it clear, the response time of all these monitors is below the refresh rate (60Hz), and is thus essentially unnoticeable. They also all come with 4 USB 2.0 ports. It comes down to what you're willing to spend and how big you want your monitor.

Wolfpup

Jan 25, 2006
I'd say you have a few basic options if you ignore G-Sync. One is the Dell P2714H. 27", 1080p, excellent response time (in terms of input processing and display lag), and only $320 from Amazon. Another is the HP ZR2740w v2 (make sure it's the second revision! HP did a silent switch, so as long as it's from 2012 or later, you're good to go). With an equally good response time (enough to hide behind frame refresh limitations of 60Hz) and 27" of 1440p IPS goodness, it's the highest end gaming option that is also a good monitor. This is a step up in price, at $450 from B&H. The last and cheapest option is a 1080p, 23" monitor from Dell. At merely $200, you get virtually no lag.

To make it clear, the response time of all these monitors is below the refresh rate (60Hz), and is thus essentially unnoticeable. They also all come with 4 USB 2.0 ports. It comes down to what you're willing to spend and how big you want your monitor.

Interesting...thanks!

Do you think the Ultrasharps are bad? I hadn't looked at the HP monitors lately but maybe I should.

Don't care about price, if it's $600 even that's fine.

Wish it was like the old days where I'd just check a few models out from Sony and buy one in the size I wanted lol (I remember when I had a...19"? 21"? Sony CRT monitor that cost a fortune and weighed 9000lbs, but it served me well until solid LCDs hit!)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Cassius, for 24" buy an Asus PA248Q for about $300. Calibrated color so what you see is accurate, nice brightness, antiglare coating isn't too aggressive, and it has a USB 3.0 hub built in

Last edited:

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
The FG2421 has close to IPS colour quality, lightboost motion clarity, 120hz, TN response times and the deeper blacks than any of them. It does however, come with two drawbacks; a slight gamma shift off centre, and some units come with a severe "backlight bleed" like phenomenon on close to black colours.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
G-sync is a gimmick. You need a beast of a machine to be able to use it, and you need a beast of monitor.

Gimmick.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
G-sync is a gimmick. You need a beast of a machine to be able to use it, and you need a beast of monitor.

Gimmick.

Not at all. G sync is best used on lower end GPUs ranging from 30fps up to 119fps. You're probably thinking of the lightboost strobing that requires 120FPS to really be effective.

If you care about gaming I wouldn't consider any 60hz panels. Best advice is to wait a couple months if you can as the next round of monitors with variable strobes, etc are coming out q1/q2.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I stand corrected.

I still consider it unworthy of the expense, for my own use case. I never had much problem with tearing. Games that I can run above 60FPS, I sometimes use v-sync, otherwise I don't and I'm happy with it. Competitive or otherwise.