best 150€ router for vpn

r3ldleh

Nov 4, 2017
i'm want to buy a new router and i have no clue what to buy. some help would be much aprecciated

r3ldleh

Nov 4, 2017
i have cable router from isp wich is not bad but does not support dd-wrt, main objective is to setup a VPN network maybe using raspberry pi 3. i'm lost really don't even know where to begin with. any help would be much appreciated

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Look at the ISP's Router manual and find out if it can be set as Modem only (you can call the ISP and ask too).

If it can configure it as a Modem and get yourself a Nice Wireless Router that can do VPN.

:cool:

Reactions: r3ldleh

r3ldleh

Nov 4, 2017
Look at the ISP's Router manual and find out if it can be set as Modem only (you can call the ISP and ask too).

If it can configure it as a Modem and get yourself a Nice Wireless Router that can do VPN.

:cool:
will i need the raspberry anyway?

Feb 25, 2011
will i need the raspberry anyway?
No you will not. Most midrange to high end home routers support that feature already. (ASUS 6x series wifi routers, for instance.)

The only thing you need to do is make sure that the router supports the VPN protocol(s) you want to use. (There's only 2 or 3 in common use, primarily OpenVPN, and most devices support all of them, but it's important enough to double-check.)

Reactions: r3ldleh

r3ldleh

Nov 4, 2017
No you will not. Most midrange to high end home routers support that feature already. (ASUS 6x series wifi routers, for instance.)

The only thing you need to do is make sure that the router supports the VPN protocol(s) you want to use. (There's only 2 or 3 in common use, primarily OpenVPN, and most devices support all of them, but it's important enough to double-check.)

thank you so much dave_the_nerd, 1 like from me bud