Question Besides speakers and soundbar, what do I need for my PC to enjoy Dobly Atmos?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, I am building a high end workstation for 4K gaming. I want to play games and watch videos with Dobly Atmos. I cannot find any Z390 motherboard that has a sound chip to support Atmos. What do I need besides buying a soundbar and/or speakers?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
You'll probably want an atmos enabled receiver. Recommendations would depend on budget, how many speakers you're looking at installing, and the speakers you are planning on using
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH790-7-2-ch-Receiver-Vision/dp/B079YW5VQL/

Thanks. Am I correct that if I buy a soundbar such as the Sony HT-X9000F or the Samsung HW-N950, I don't need a receiver? How are these two compared with the SoundBlaster X Katana and Dolby Dimensions? As far as I know, the Katana does not support Atmos but it simulates some kind of immersion. Not sure if it is as good as the other three devices I mention here.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Thanks. Am I correct that if I buy a soundbar such as the Sony HT-X9000F or the Samsung HW-N950, I don't need a receiver? How are these two compared with the SoundBlaster X Katana and Dolby Dimensions? As far as I know, the Katana does not support Atmos but it simulates some kind of immersion. Not sure if it is as good as the other three devices I mention here.
Yep, those sound bars don't need a receiver, though I have no idea about how those sound bars/headphones compare.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I want very very immerse.

Then at the very least you'll need 5.1.2 or 5.0.2 if you dont want a sub. Two fronts, a center, two surrounds (rears), and two overhead. Anything other than is NOT Atmos. If all you want is immersion, there are other solutions, but Atmos is more than immersion.

Oh. And you'll need a receiver to decode/upcode. And your PC needs to be set up to bitstream to the receiver.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Then at the very least you'll need 5.1.2 or 5.0.2 if you dont want a sub. Two fronts, a center, two surrounds (rears), and two overhead. Anything other than is NOT Atmos. If all you want is immersion, there are other solutions, but Atmos is more than immersion.

Oh. And you'll need a receiver to decode/upcode. And your PC needs to be set up to bitstream to the receiver.

Thanks. About receiver... Some people said that it is better to get a receiver than an atmos equipped soundbar both money-wise and sound quality-wise. However, I don't know these things. I imagine that if I use DVD or blueray, I would need a receiver. However, I don't use these two media types. I plan to play atmos featured PC games and watch youtube videos from my PC. So in this case, is there any point to get a receiver?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Thanks. About receiver... Some people said that it is better to get a receiver than an atmos equipped soundbar both money-wise and sound quality-wise. However, I don't know these things. I imagine that if I use DVD or blueray, I would need a receiver. However, I don't use these two media types. I plan to play atmos featured PC games and watch youtube videos from my PC. So in this case, is there any point to get a receiver?

If you want Atmos, yes. I dont care what it says, a soundbar can NEVER play Atmos. Well, it'll play it, but it wont be Atmos. Yes, it will sound great, but it wont be Atmos. To get true Atmos, you'll need the speaker configuration I mentioned.

Here's a little reading on what Atmos is-https://www.tomsguide.com/us/dolby-atmos-explained,news-26573.html

edit: Let me say I may be nitpicking here. Most people think Atmos is just immersicve sound. Thats mostly correct. If youre looking for simple immersive sound, then a high end sound bar can it *fairly* well. However, for Atmos, it alone wont work.

(purist audiophile here lol)

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Hi, I am building a high end workstation for 4K gaming. I want to play games and watch videos with Dobly Atmos. I cannot find any Z390 motherboard that has a sound chip to support Atmos. What do I need besides buying a soundbar and/or speakers?
If "high end workstation for 4K gaming", then cant see a soundbar as a part of that. Lot of awesome bookshelf speakers (+ centers, heights) that could do the job so much better than a soundbar. Of course an AV receiver to power it all up + the rear surrounds, subwoofer and your all set.