Bernstein says he's been told Mueller Draft Report Says Trump 'Helped Putin Destabilize the United States'

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Apologies for all caps title, it's a copy paste from the article.
Fixed that for you. Also adjusted it to reflect reality.
admin allisolm

When Mueller's report drops, there will be a constitutional crisis unlike anything the US has ever endured previously.

And Bernstein's integrity is impeccable. So this account is highly credible.

https://www.newsweek.com/mueller-re...PhyCtrjUF0PIbJpw0XuYvypu7MsoqTODJ2rfj9pOImcpM

Legendary journalist Carl Bernstein has said that he’s been told that special counsel Robert Mueller’s report will show how President Donald Trump helped Russia “destabilize the United States.”

“This is about the most serious counterintelligence people we have in the U.S. government saying, ‘Oh, my God, the president’s words and actions lead us to conclude that somehow he has become a witting, unwitting, or half-witting pawn, certainly in some regards, to Vladimir Putin,'” Bernstein explained during his appearance on Reliable Sources .
“From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin’s goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PJFrylar

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Shocking. No wait the other thing, predictable.

Edit: Remember when people in intelligence were saying that Trump would die in jail? Fun times.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The question is if it's intentional or not. If Mueller doesn't have enough evidence to prove it's intentional Trump will be untouchable.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
...to conclude that somehow he has become a witting, unwitting, or half-witting pawn, certainly in some regards, to Vladimir Putin,'” Bernstein explained...

So the fact is the report does NOT implicate Trump as being complicit?

My first question on reading the headline, was whether Trump was knowingly aiding and abetting Russia's operation. If they're speaking as vaguely as Bernstein reports, then it would appear that Trump is off the hook simply for being the rube that he is.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
So the fact is the report does NOT implicate Trump as being complicit?

My first question on reading the headline, was whether Trump was knowingly aiding and abetting Russia's operation. If they're speaking as vaguely as Bernstein reports, then it would appear that Trump is off the hook simply for being the rube that he is.

The Post reported that Trump has gone to “extraordinary lengths” to conceal direct conversations he has had with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Times article revealed that the FBI opened a counterintelligence investigation into Trump after he fired former bureau director James Comey in 2017, suspecting the president could be working on behalf of Russia. Trump has angrily denied allegations that he worked with Russia and has regularly attacked the media for reporting on the investigation. But Bernstein slammed Trump’s dismissal of the probe.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I don't know guys. Do you really think saying "I'm so incompetent I destabilized the country - but not on purpose" is something that's going to save the president?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
More Fake News obviously.. Trump is the best golfer that America has ever had!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't know guys. Do you really think saying "I'm so incompetent I destabilized the country - but not on purpose" is something that's going to save the president?

Are you saying Americans did not know how stupid Trump was in 2016?

Granted... many will have turned on him simply due his incompetent incumbency, but many more will be loyal as they're "winning!". They're drunk on Fox News and not any smarter than he is.

But again... saying Trump is a rube changes nothing.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Are you saying Americans did not know how stupid Trump was in 2016?

Granted... many will have turned on him simply due his incompetent incumbency, but many more will be loyal as they're "winning!". They're drunk on Fox News and not any smarter than he is.

But again... saying Trump is a rube changes nothing.

A whole heck of a lot of Americans think he's a stable genius playing 3d chess. I'd hope being shown that he is utterly incompetent would open at least some eyes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The question is if it's intentional or not. If Mueller doesn't have enough evidence to prove it's intentional Trump will be untouchable.

Hardly. It means that Trump has neither the savvy nor the loyalty to this country to serve as President. That's the best case.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Hardly. It means that Trump has neither the savvy nor the loyalty to this country to serve as President. That's the best case.

But you know that's exactly what the GOP want.

Why do you think they take every election win as a way to demonstrate how terrible/ corrupt/ treasonous government can be?

Reactions: Zorba
Mar 11, 2004
Our intelligence community could do a lot to salvage their reputation for being pawns like they were for Bush Jr's Administration, by doing their goddamned fucking jobs when confronted with the largest need of their capabilities in our history. We have a foreign power actively manipulating elected officials after having waged the largest disinformation campaign in human history to put one of them in the top government position, using means that the NSA seemingly was built explicitly for, while the corruption of his administration looks to be the worst in our entire history.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
But you know that's exactly what the GOP want.

Why do you think they take every election win as a way to demonstrate how terrible/ corrupt/ treasonous government can be?

Trump took it all to a higher international level. Yeh, sure, the GOP DGAF about everyday Americans but at least the true Bush constituency is actually Americans.

The arrogant bastards progressively crazified their base for decades, foolishly believing they could control it. And why not? It's helped them win elections since Gingrich, at least. All wedge issues all the time, Us against Them, Good against Evil. The culture war that conservatives wage against the strawman their leadership built for them to attack.

Meanwhile, working people are suffering from ruthless top down class warfare waged against us for decades. What's happened is that conservatives have been led to believe in things that don't work well for anybody but the Rich.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Trump took it all to a higher international level. Yeh, sure, the GOP DGAF about everyday Americans but at least the true Bush constituency is actually Americans.

The arrogant bastards progressively crazified their base for decades, foolishly believing they could control it. And why not? It's helped them win elections since Gingrich, at least. All wedge issues all the time, Us against Them, Good against Evil. The culture war that conservatives wage against the strawman their leadership built for them to attack.

Meanwhile, working people are suffering from ruthless top down class warfare waged against us for decades. What's happened is that conservatives have been led to believe in things that don't work well for anybody but the Rich.

But they still vote for the party of the rich.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Oh like none of you have ever committed high treason before. You know the saying, people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks ;)

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Oh like none of you have ever committed high treason before. You know the saying, people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks ;)

Is there a low treason? I might want to try my hand at that... don't quite think I have high treason in me.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'd love to know Mueller's assessment of Don Jr.'s meeting with Russians inside Trump Tower.
Leaving unwitting on the table doesn't even seem plausible.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Mueller's team has been extremely disciplined when it comes to leaks. It makes me wonder who has been talking to Bernstein and why.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Before this, it was leaked to CNN that Mueller was "drafting" his final report. But that leak was supposed to have come from court personnel. If someone leaked anything about the content, it has to have been someone on Mueller's team. Wondering why there is suddenly leaking. Could be intentional. May indicate the investigation is nearing an end.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
That's what I'm thinking as well. Before this, it was leaked to CNN that Mueller was "drafting" his final report. But that leak was supposed to have come from court personnel. If someone leaked anything about the content, it has to have been someone on Mueller's team. Wondering why there is suddenly leaking. Could be intentional. May indicate the investigation is nearing an end.

I would think it is intentional. Mueller has been trying to clue in the American public through court documents. This change in strategy makes me think that Mueller thinks the train has left the station.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I would think it is intentional. Mueller has been trying to clue in the American public through court documents. This change in strategy makes me think that Mueller thinks the train has left the station.

I hope it's intentional. If not intentional on Mueller's part, obviously on the part of one or more of his team. Because it suggests to me that at some point we'll see an unredacted version of his report in spite of Trump's effort to suppress it.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I hope it's intentional. If not intentional on Mueller's part, obviously on the part of one or more of his team. Because it suggests to me that at some point we'll see an unredacted version of his report in spite of Trump's effort to suppress it.

I just don't think they went to Bernstein, prominently known for his Watergate work, for nothing. That seems to be another subtle clue to me. I'm not sure Trump would have the ability to suppress it at this point. The Democratically controlled house could just call Mueller in to testify. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, because I consider Trump to be extremely damaging to our country, but this seems like Mueller's team thinks Trump is toast.