Bern's Steakhouse... OMG

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
My girlfriend took me to Bern's Steakhouse last night.. Holy crap. It was by far the best restaurant I have ever been to in my life. The tour of the kitchen/wine cellar amazed me.

I had an amazing bottle of wine from Argentina, an amazing Foie Gras appetizer, an amazing salad, an amazing 12 oz rare (warm center) Delmonico steak, amazing tiramisu, and an absolutely amazing 1966 scotch (which was fairly inexpensive considering how old and good it was)..

I never ever thought I could have soo much fun eating at a restaurant for 3 hours. Everything about that place is top notch.

It was sobering to go through the wine cellar and see bottles of wine older than my great grandparents (who are long expired).

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

I will be going again!

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
How much did you pay? My friend took his parents and his girlfriend there once. He ended up paying $500 for the entire meal. Also, it might be interesting to note that the main chef of the restaurant has left the company to pursue other interests. I don't know who replaced her, but she was with the restaurant for a couple years.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Brandon! If only you had mentioned that you were going, I could have warned you that this place was amazing. That place is easily one of the best restaurants you will ever go to in your life (in Florida). Isn't it great to know it is so close and you can return to it again? Seriously though if you ever want to go again, I will make the trip over to your coast. I know it is worth the drive.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
how much was the bill? my wife and I went to ruth's chris steak house for the first time few weeks ago, it was good, but not sure if I like my steak served in butter that much.

ZeroEffect

Apr 25, 2000
Bern's is in Tampa.

Personally, I think the ambiance sucks there. The dining rooms are stuffy
and ugly as all. But the food is good.

I know lots of people who go there just for desert.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If you are ever on the Monterey Peninsula this si a must eat place if you are into steaks!!
http://whalingstationmonterey.com/index.htm

last time the wife and I ate there we took 2 friends from Poland and dropped around including drinks somewhere around $400!!
Worth every penny!!

We had prawns and oysters and sea scallops as out appetizers.
All of the steaks are top notch, the bar is fantastic!

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
WTF, it's in Tampa?! Any of you ATOT Floridians been to Fuego's Chucarakasdfghjkl (whatever the portugese word for that kind of steakhouse is)?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
My girlfriend took me to Bern's Steakhouse last night.. Holy crap. It was by far the best restaurant I have ever been to in my life. The tour of the kitchen/wine cellar amazed me.

I had an amazing bottle of wine from Argentina, an amazing Foie Gras appetizer, an amazing salad, an amazing 12 oz rare (warm center) Delmonico steak, amazing tiramisu, and an absolutely amazing 1966 scotch (which was fairly inexpensive considering how old and good it was)..

I never ever thought I could have soo much fun eating at a restaurant for 3 hours. Everything about that place is top notch.

It was sobering to go through the wine cellar and see bottles of wine older than my great grandparents (who are long expired).

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

I will be going again!
Needless to say you had an amazing experience, wait that's exactly what you said:thumbsup:

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Pocatello
So how was the steak? Pretty good?

It was amazing!

The entire meal was about $210. Ya, it's expensive.. but nowhere near as expensive as some restaurants that claim to be as great.

If you wanted to just get a steak, without appetizers, you could eat there for $50/person.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
an amazing bottle of Argentina wine price unknown
Must be Shens brand. Argentina is only one of the largest exporters of wine in the world, with like 34,000 wineries in it. Amazing!

an amazing foie gras appetizer price$15.95-18.95 Shens again! Greasy duck livers? I can barely eat fried chicken livers with ketchup! But with "Napa Valley Merlot reduction" it has to be amazing!

an amazing salad, price$6.95 (looks to be lettuce and dressing only, Amazing!)
What is so amazing about eating rabbit food? Almost zero prep time, just dump on some random ingredients and a special Shens alcoholic dressing from a 5 gallon jug. Amazing!

an amazing 12 oz rare (warm center) Delmonico steak, price $44.14
Mmmm, that's tasty! And the best part is you pay them a lot of money, to serve it raw for you! Just like the Shens salad! Almost zero prep time! Amazing! I mean, GROSS! They age their beef for up to 8 weeks and you want it raw? Ugh is just an understatement for a $35-80 cut of raw 8 week old beef.
"Why do we ?age? steaks? When you consider
the cost, the work, and the waste, is it
really worthwhile to age beef a long time?
Most people and most eating places say beef
is aged when it is one or two weeks old.
We have found that extra-extra quality beef
continues to improve for five, six, seven, eight
weeks. Like great wines that improve for 50
years, great beef gets sweeter, more tender,
and acquires a taste that cannot be duplicated,
except with proper age.
This is our kind of beef and it?s extremely
expensive. We pay more in the beginning and
we throw away more in the end.
And the meat, in the meantime, demands
very special care. Each piece must be stored at
exacting temperatures, with controlled
humidity, and exceptionally fine circulation.
It has already been paid for, and it keeps
shrinking all the time.
Why do we ?age? steaks so long?
We think it?s all worthwhile when one single
customer tells us he?s eaten ?everywhere? and
ours is the ?best.? It?s all in the taste."

amazing tiramisu price unknown
"A less glamorous theory explains that the dessert was a way of salvaging old cake and coffee that had gone cold by using the leftover coffee and perhaps some liqueur to moisten the dry cake. The dish was greatly improved by layering it with cream or cream cheese."
Ok, never had it, that just sounds gross. Amazing!
"Tiramisu
A classic dessert with fresh lady fingers soaked in Kahlua, Myers Rum, Amaretto & Bern's roasted coffee. Surrounded by a rich but light Mascarpone cream. Served with Espresso Anglaise and chocolate sauce."
After that description, it sounds a bit better. And good for a buzz! Amazing!

and an absolutely amazing 1966 scotch (which was fairly inexpensive considering how old and good it was).. price unknown
Ok, no Shens scotch there. It might have actually been "amazing" there were some excellent scotches of that period.

So that gives you 2 amazing out of 6 on the dining side. But the most amazing part of all, was you left plastered!

That place looks like eating in a French tomb decorated from a French thrift store from the website pics. All those giant cameo portraits in the dining room would give me the creeps. And the desert room looks kind of like seating at a Las Vegas brothel.

Even the Epicurean Hotel looks like a giant mausoleum.

However, the SideBurn's (little sister???) restaurant looks inviting. I might eat there, if I felt like eating in a giant morgue. Why do so many restaurants and hotels think they are automatically upscale by using this ugly clash of architecture all the time? What a hideous clash of styles. Modern meets art deco meets French mausoleum/brothel.

I am glad you enjoyed it, and can't wait to go back, but you wouldn't catch me dead in there, pardon the pun. And a few of their menu items did look appetizing, if I had 3 or 4 hundred to throw down for a meal for 2. I bet I could go to Disney world and have a lot more fun for that kind of scratch. And it would be worth at least 10 amazings in one post afterwards.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
WTF, it's in Tampa?! Any of you ATOT Floridians been to Fuego's Chucarakasdfghjkl (whatever the portugese word for that kind of steakhouse is)?

I've eaten there. It was pretty good. This was in Brandon. it was a fun atmosphere.

I like Bern's eaten there 2x so far, expensive but usually worth it.

the decorations suck though it look s like an 1800's whore house with all that velvet.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
an amazing bottle of Argentina wine price unknown
Must be Shens brand. Argentina is only one of the largest exporters of wine in the world, with like 34,000 wineries in it. Amazing!

an amazing foie gras appetizer price$15.95-18.95 Shens again! Greasy duck livers? I can barely eat fried chicken livers with ketchup! But with "Napa Valley Merlot reduction" it has to be amazing!

an amazing salad, price$6.95 (looks to be lettuce and dressing only, Amazing!)
What is so amazing about eating rabbit food? Almost zero prep time, just dump on some random ingredients and a special Shens alcoholic dressing from a 5 gallon jug. Amazing!

an amazing 12 oz rare (warm center) Delmonico steak, price $44.14
Mmmm, that's tasty! And the best part is you pay them a lot of money, to serve it raw for you! Just like the Shens salad! Almost zero prep time! Amazing! I mean, GROSS! They age their beef for up to 8 weeks and you want it raw? Ugh is just an understatement for a $35-80 cut of raw 8 week old beef.
"Why do we ?age? steaks? When you consider
the cost, the work, and the waste, is it
really worthwhile to age beef a long time?
Most people and most eating places say beef
is aged when it is one or two weeks old.
We have found that extra-extra quality beef
continues to improve for five, six, seven, eight
weeks. Like great wines that improve for 50
years, great beef gets sweeter, more tender,
and acquires a taste that cannot be duplicated,
except with proper age.
This is our kind of beef and it?s extremely
expensive. We pay more in the beginning and
we throw away more in the end.
And the meat, in the meantime, demands
very special care. Each piece must be stored at
exacting temperatures, with controlled
humidity, and exceptionally fine circulation.
It has already been paid for, and it keeps
shrinking all the time.
Why do we ?age? steaks so long?
We think it?s all worthwhile when one single
customer tells us he?s eaten ?everywhere? and
ours is the ?best.? It?s all in the taste."

amazing tiramisu price unknown
"A less glamorous theory explains that the dessert was a way of salvaging old cake and coffee that had gone cold by using the leftover coffee and perhaps some liqueur to moisten the dry cake. The dish was greatly improved by layering it with cream or cream cheese."
Ok, never had it, that just sounds gross. Amazing!
"Tiramisu
A classic dessert with fresh lady fingers soaked in Kahlua, Myers Rum, Amaretto & Bern's roasted coffee. Surrounded by a rich but light Mascarpone cream. Served with Espresso Anglaise and chocolate sauce."
After that description, it sounds a bit better. And good for a buzz! Amazing!

and an absolutely amazing 1966 scotch (which was fairly inexpensive considering how old and good it was).. price unknown
Ok, no Shens scotch there. It might have actually been "amazing" there were some excellent scotches of that period.

So that gives you 2 amazing out of 6 on the dining side. But the most amazing part of all, was you left plastered!

That place looks like eating in a French tomb decorated from a French thrift store from the website pics. All those giant cameo portraits in the dining room would give me the creeps. And the desert room looks kind of like seating at a Las Vegas brothel.

Even the Epicurean Hotel looks like a giant mausoleum.

However, the SideBurn's (little sister???) restaurant looks inviting. I might eat there, if I felt like eating in a giant morgue. Why do so many restaurants and hotels think they are automatically upscale by using this ugly clash of architecture all the time? What a hideous clash of styles. Modern meets art deco meets French mausoleum/brothel.

I am glad you enjoyed it, and can't wait to go back, but you wouldn't catch me dead in there, pardon the pun. And a few of their menu items did look appetizing, if I had 3 or 4 hundred to throw down for a meal for 2. I bet I could go to Disney world and have a lot more fun for that kind of scratch. And it would be worth at least 10 amazings in one post afterwards.

haha, wtf

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I can not eat Foie Gras...I commend you. I love liver, but something about goose liver does not agree with me. It might be the fact that they force feed the goose/duck--makes me feel guilty :(