Bernie Sanders quitting Democratic race for president. But why pick a random day like today to announce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

"I have concluded that this battle for the Democratic nomination will not be successful, and so today I am announcing the suspension of my campaign," Sanders told supporters in a livestream, saying he wished he could provide supporters with "better news" but "I think you know the truth."

He added that he understands some supporters who want him to fight on through the convention, but he could not "in good conscience continue to mount a campaign that cannot win..."

But he was way behind weeks ago.
what made him see the light now?
not much has changed from his poll #s from weeks ago when he was getting ready for the Ohio primary.

I suspect something happened behind the scenes recently.
What deal was made for him to drop out?

/TinFoilHat

Repost. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/bernies-out.2579214/
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

"I have concluded that this battle for the Democratic nomination will not be successful, and so today I am announcing the suspension of my campaign," Sanders told supporters in a livestream, saying he wished he could provide supporters with "better news" but "I think you know the truth."

He added that he understands some supporters who want him to fight on through the convention, but he could not "in good conscience continue to mount a campaign that cannot win..."

not much has changed from his poll #s from weeks ago when he was getting ready for the Ohio primary?

What happened behind the scenes between then and now?

What national event is ongoing that would make it difficult to get out and rally voters to your side?

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Better than announcing tomorrow, and doing Donnie a favor by offsetting the (possible) long market weekend selloff + weekly unemployment results
Unemployment 2 weeks ago - pump with stimulus bill
Unemployment 1 week ago - pump with "Funding secured" oil tweets (I loved it - made a good profit on options that ~hour or so)

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
He can't campaign and his path to plurality was already essentially untenable given the states left. Shut it down, don't put people at risk, and let the party heal before it goes into full on presidential campaign mode in a couple months.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
not much has changed from his poll #s from weeks ago when he was getting ready for the Ohio primary?

What happened behind the scenes between then and now?
The one practical difference is the Wisconsin primary was held yesterday. While I would have expected him to wait until next Monday when the results are to be actually announced, the campaign may have had internal polling on top of what public polling there has been showing confirming he lost badly. (In contrast to the 2016 results where Bernie actually won by a decent margin in the state.) This certainly made the math on a comeback even more daunting.

He may have also recognized that nothing about the course of the race was realistically going to change in the next few weeks and voters in other states were already starting to receive ballots by mail and voting even if it might be awhile until the official results on those states might be known, but this may have further spelled out why a comeback was not viable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.