Bernie Sanders Courts Black Voters Anew. But an Obama Reference Stings.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/05/us/politics/bernie-sanders-obama-mississippi.html

He immediately won applause by declaring that the party’s business model had “failed” and then recalled, as he and many Democrats often do, that the party had lost about 1,000 state legislative seats in the last decade.

But Mr. Sanders also said that these setbacks happened on the watch of “a charismatic individual named Barack Obama,” whom Mr. Sanders also called “an extraordinary candidate, brilliant guy.”

Bernie Sanders down in Mississippi today - IN MISSISSIPPI - giving a master class on expressing TOTAL ignorance of how black folks work.

did you mention that he was president much less that it was historic?

Because I saw you call him a ‘charismatic individual’—not even leader!

An ‘extraordinary candidate’—not even president!

And ‘brilliant guy’.

Perhaps your office will release a transcript of your remarks.

I don’t get the outrage. I read the article, still dont get the outrage.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Bernie just doubled the efforts of the entire Republican party to woo the black vote

Reactions: cytg111

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Bernie just doubled the efforts of the entire Republican party to woo the black vote

What?
Republicans don't care what Sanders thinks. They hoist up a specter of his image to use as a scarecrow.
"Oh look, someone might give you healthcare! Burn the witch!"

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
What?
Republicans don't care what Sanders thinks. They hoist up a specter of his image to use as a scarecrow.
"Oh look, someone might give you healthcare! Burn the witch!"

I’d love someone to come in to fix the healthcare system. His "free college for all" idea seemed absurd though.

I’m not a Republican though and never have been, I’m not sure honestly if there are many left. Hell I'm not sure there are many Democrats left either.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I’d love someone to come in to fix the healthcare system. His "free college for all" idea seemed absurd though.

I’m not a Republican though and never have been, I’m not sure honestly if there are many left. Hell I'm not sure there are many Democrats left either.

Does it sometimes feel like we are tottering on the edge of anarchy? It seems like every single American is breaking into their own little identity group and otherising all other Americans. I think youtube is fucking with my mind. All I see is hatred of others. it seems universal. Everybody has a group they absolutely hate (myself included). However the hate harms the hater more than anybody else and is definitely not healthy.

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Does it sometimes feel like we are tottering on the edge of anarchy?

I feel like the anarchic state would only be caused by our own polarization and partisanship. Neither side (he’ll the fact that we even think of it as sides...) is willing to rationally think about any given issue. Self identity is defined by what the opponent is against. That certainly feels chaotic, but it’s not that Trump or Obama are these idiotic devils like is commonly portrayed.

Reactions: IJTSSG

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Does it sometimes feel like we are tottering on the edge of anarchy? It seems like every single American is breaking into their own little identity group and otherising all other Americans. I think youtube is fucking with my mind. All I see is hatred of others. it seems universal. Everybody has a group they absolutely hate (myself included). However the hate harms the hater more than anybody else and is definitely not healthy.
Liberals are including more and more individuals into their "group". This often leads to infighting among identity groups within that larger group, although ultimately they have more in common with each other than they have separating them. Those differences get highlighted by ratfuckers in order to decrease voter turnout. See, Russians, or conservatives, 2016, for example. Ultimately, there was very little daylight separating the ratfuckers in 2016. It's why Russian trolls were re-tweeted by conservatives, and vice-versa. A pukefunnel ouroboros. Which is hilarious, and sad, and typical. But there it is.

Conservatives are excluding more and more individuals from being able to join their group. This leads to purity tests and safe-spacing from ideas that aren't totally conservative orthodox. Thought leaders like Masters Limbaugh and Hannity set up conservative orthodox ideas which if questioned, lead to purges and particular candidate apostasy from the group.

Unfortunately, conservatives know that if they don't get out the vote, their over-representation in politics will decrease. So, they go and vote reliably. And their "centrist" apologists go and tell everyone, whenever they can, that BothSidesDoIt™ in order to decrease voter turnout among the young, inexperienced and naive voters who might otherwise vote for the more inclusive liberal candidates.

And, of course, they attempt to make it as hard as possible for excluded groups to vote in elections. Because less votes almost always results in a conservative candidate beating out the liberal candidate.

The "sides" are almost entirely constructed by conservatives, who in modern times are essentially against anything that liberals are for. Reactionary politics, by definition. They choose to separate themselves, and use labels like "real Americans", or "true Americans", when referring to themselves, while attempting to paint cities and the coasts as some kind of non-America full of traitors and 5th columnists... simply because those areas are inclusive and very different than their own areas of the country.

They use the very differences that are celebrated among liberals, of the liberal enclaves, as a basis on which to preach their exclusive values which end up excluding way more people than they'd ever include. Which, of course suits the people who own and operate the country on their own behalf, by allowing them to "pay" roughly half of US voters rhethoric and platitiudes they don't actually believe or practice (rather than providing them with the jobs and wealth they promise) in order to get them to fight against the other half of US voters. A tale as old as recorded history.

All so the oligarchs can continue taking as much as they can grab without having to actually pay for it.

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

How about free K-12? Nah, I'm kidding. That would be absurd, too.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
How about free K-12? Nah, I'm kidding. That would be absurd, too.

Not everyone belongs in college. I’d be ok if we offered free trade school, but for a 4 year you need some sort of skin in the game. Louisiana has subsidized college through a program called TOPS and while it’s helpful for many, there’s tons of abuse as many use it as a big state funded party after hs and it’s bankrupting the state.

Reactions: ladyjd

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly I think less and less people are caring about what bernie says. I know a low of dems who are upset he stayed in the race so long and seriously damaged HRCs chances of winning; not to mention he didn't really do a good job getting his supporters to vote for her.

Its little known that he is kind of being frozen out of higher level DNC party strategy making at this time.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
He makes perfect sense.

He didn't zing Obama.. he zinged the system.

The democrat party isn't representing the people or they would not make it so hard for people to run. Everywhere there are signs incumbents are going to get advantages over grass roots.

This thread is a fail fake outrage.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
[QYeUOTE="Indus, post: 39378363, member: 87770"]He makes perfect sense.

He didn't zing Obama.. he zinged the system.

The democrat party isn't representing the people or they would not make it so hard for people to run. Everywhere there are signs incumbents are going to get advantages over grass roots.

This thread is a fail fake outrage.[/QUOTE]
Yea, that's why there are more female candidates running for state house and congressional offices than ever in the democratic party. F'n Bernie brain deads.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All hate is self hate projected.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I feel like the anarchic state would only be caused by our own polarization and partisanship. Neither side (he’ll the fact that we even think of it as sides...) is willing to rationally think about any given issue. Self identity is defined by what the opponent is against. That certainly feels chaotic, but it’s not that Trump or Obama are these idiotic devils like is commonly portrayed.

This #bothsides nonsense gets so old. It is not both sides, modern American conservatism has gone insane.

If you think neither side is willing to think rationally about issues, name three issues and let’s look at what each side thinks.

Dec 10, 2005
What outrage? This thread is about a NYT article and trying to figure out what Bernie said that offended black people in Jackson. :D
I would think that part of it might be his continuous tone deaf message. Economics and class are important issues facing society, but the discussion is ignoring the historic and present reality that black people have been systematically disadvantaged for generations in this country. The changing of the conversation from racism to poverty ignores the underlying issue and will not fix the underlying problem.

Also, maybe you want to ask these communities why they are offended instead of JAQing off on this board...

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The changing of the conversation from racism to poverty ignores the underlying issue and will not fix the underlying problem.

The issue is poverty though. I live in a parish that’s probably 60% black 40% white and poverty is absolutely what’s holding people back no matter the color. I can’t imagine the reception if you started lecturing some of the trailer park residents around here that eek by on a job at Waffle House and live in a crime riddled area with poor schools about their white priveledge.

Dec 10, 2005
The issue is poverty though. I live in a parish that’s probably 60% black 40% white and poverty is absolutely what’s holding people back no matter the color. I can’t imagine the reception if you started lecturing some of the trailer park residents around here that eek by on a job at Waffle House and live in a crime riddled area with poor schools about their white priveledge.
Black poverty and racism are intricately linked. You just don't care to see the connection.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The issue is poverty though.
Black poverty and racism are intricately linked. You just don't care to see the connection.

Are you telling us to focus on race and divisive group id instead of unifying behind fixing poverty?
Please don't do that. It's like the police problem. There's far too much violence and killing, and while it may be disproportionate, the solution can be unifying if it's not wrapped up in a "us VS them" flag. #BLM may draw much needed attention, but it's also polarized.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

There’s a generational poverty but racism isn’t what’s holding people back any longer. A poor black kid is afforded as much chance as a poor white kid, not much. Are the poor whites in trailer parks and decrepit housing who don’t get good educations or healthy food and live in constant fear of no money also the victims of racism?

I can’t help but think those of you that cry racism the loudest live in pretty well to do, non diverse areas.

Dec 10, 2005
Are you telling us to focus on race and divisive group id instead of unifying behind fixing poverty?
Please don't do that. It's like the police problem. There's far too much violence and killing, and while it may be disproportionate, the solution can be unifying if it's not wrapped up in a "us VS them" flag. #BLM may draw much needed attention, but it's also polarized.
I didn't write the history of the United States in black people's lives. That has already been done. The crimes of our nation have had generational impacts on people, even into the modern era. It wasn't so long ago that we had federal policies giving the go-ahead to redlining, and even today states are pushing racist policies, like NC and their voter ID laws. The decrying of identity politics is just a call to paper over the past without actually doing anything to specifically rectify the wrongs we have wrought on our fellow citizens.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe not all.
Unless, I hate Hitler because I'm.... Hitler? :eek:
Well yes and no. It isn't that you are Hitler but that you may feel like Hitler in the sense that you hate the evil Hitler was and you were taught to behave to a moral standards that implied good and evil and were threatened by being called the latter. A bad boy is an evil boy and to be a good boy you must profess a hatred of evil, so you hate Hitler. The concept is hard to grasp because it involves a paradox, we become what we fear, we leak unconsciously behaviors we want to repress. We have an ego behind which our self professed greatness is used to hide painful and repressed feelings.