Bernie Sanders announces 2020 campaign (and apparently raises a massive amount of $$$ within hours)

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie...ses-more-than-1-million-in-less-than-4-hours/
Sen. Bernie Sanders has raised more than $1 million for his 2020 presidential campaign in less than four hours, his team confirms, putting him well ahead of other contenders who launched their bids with strong financial support.
Sanders, I-Vermont, formally joined the presidential race Tuesday morning, telling "CBS This Morning" he intends to win the Democratic nomination and the White House next year.

Yes he may be too old and sure there are a few Democratic candidates espousing support for "Medicare for All" and "Free College"

However, there are some things to consider about how primary campaigns go.

He faces more substantive competition this go around but remember this his policy positions on economic issues have scarcely changed if at all and even if he doesn't win the primary this time around his mere presence will keep his FDR-like economic positions at the forefront of the primary... which imho they should be begone with centrist economic positions...
We had the centrist candidate run against Trump last time and she became the fir... oh wait... yeah we have a disaster in the Oval Office....

Jan 25, 2011
Given the nature of the candidates in the Democrat pool and the fact that the platform has shifted considerably to Sander's positions and possibly beyond it in some cases what, exactly, does he offer that the actual Democrat candidates don't any more?

Reactions: Bitek

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Given the nature of the candidates in the Democrat pool and the fact that the platform has shifted considerably to Sander's positions and possibly beyond it in some cases what, exactly, does he offer that the actual Democrat candidates don't any more?

As I said Bernie has a long record of pushing for the same kinds of economic policies for most if not all of his career... the "actual Democratic" (fixed that for you) are in some cases just recently adopted his economic policies... which the exception of Elizabeth Warren who has been talking very much about the same policies for at least a decade maybe 2 at this point.
He offers Democratic voters the candidate who has flipped-flopped a lot less than other candidates from either side of the aisle.

A bunch of Bernie or Bust people that think he is the only candidate they can trust.
I believe they're in the minority.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
A bunch of Bernie or Bust people that think he is the only candidate they can trust.
Well he is... but he isn't.

Bernie may be the most pure, a gold standard, but he's not without his issues. Age being chief among them. He really needs a successor and I'm quite ready to look for one in the field this next year. No one is perfect, but there will be plenty of decent candidates to choose from. And the end goal is not perfection, or even an ideal person. It's anybody but Trump.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No one is perfect, but there will be plenty of decent candidates to choose from. And the end goal is not perfection, or even an ideal person. It's anybody but Trump.

I'd be satisfied with Tunicate. Tunicate is better than Trump.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie...ses-more-than-1-million-in-less-than-4-hours/

Yes he may be too old and sure there are a few Democratic candidates espousing support for "Medicare for All" and "Free College"

However, there are some things to consider about how primary campaigns go.

He faces more substantive competition this go around but remember this his policy positions on economic issues have scarcely changed if at all and even if he doesn't win the primary this time around his mere presence will keep his FDR-like economic positions at the forefront of the primary... which imho they should be begone with centrist economic positions...
We had the centrist candidate run against Trump last time and she became the fir... oh wait... yeah we have a disaster in the Oval Office....

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Sanders offers the most free stuff and lowers the bar to a level where even the greatest of liberal losers can feel like they've achieved in life. He has a great shot in the primaries due to his enduring qualities with freeloaders.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Sanders offers the most free stuff and lowers the bar to a level where even the greatest of liberal losers can feel like they've achieved in life. He has a great shot in the primaries due to his enduring qualities with freeloaders.
It's not "free" if it's paid for by taxes, so no, they are not "freeloaders". I pay taxes for the healthcare here in Canada, and despite being a healthy person in the mid-30s (ie. not currently and continuously benefitting from it), I have no problem paying those taxes, for the day that I do need it. I'll feel good not to have to shell out big bucks when I do need it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's not "free" if it's paid for by taxes, so no, they are not "freeloaders". I pay taxes for the healthcare here in Canada, and despite being a healthy person in the mid-30s (ie. not currently and continuously benefitting from it), I have no problem paying those taxes, for the day that I do need it. I'll feel good not to have to shell out big bucks when I do need it.

Here we already have too many people that do not pay into the system. It will only get worse if we keep expanding services. And I bet free government college will only lower the quality of education on the whole and raise prices overall.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Here we already have too many people that do not pay into the system. It will only get worse if we keep expanding services. And I bet free government college will only lower the quality of education on the whole and raise prices overall.
If people aren't paying their fair share of taxes then that needs to be fixed for sure. What you are saying is..."too late it's all gone to hell anyway, nothing we can do", which shouldn't be the attitude to take or nothing ever gets better.

There are many countries that have free or heavily subsidized university that have a high quality of education. Of course, this cannot happen in isolation. You need to reduce military spending for example or RAISE taxes for things to work without bankrupting the country. This is all assuming the goal is to raise everyone's fortunes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Another type of schroedinger's liberal:

--All liberals are begging for free stuff!
--Liberals are always begging to pay more taxes for their stuff!

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Bernie Sanders will apparently hire 39 yo Faiz Shakir as his campaign manager. Faiz is leaving the ACLU to accept the position, and is probably the first Muslism campaign manager of a major presidential campaign.

Breaking on the Daily Beast.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If Bernie couldn't even win the Dems in 2016 I don't know what makes him think he can win the country in 2020.

It's a leader cult of the Left like Trump is for the Right and Bernie plays right into it. Neither one of them will be the Savior of America. If Bernie really wanted to do this country a service he'd back younger candidates of his persuasion rather than putting the spotlight on himself.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Bernie Sanders will apparently hire 39 yo Faiz Shakir as his campaign manager. Faiz is leaving the ACLU to accept the position, and is probably the first Muslism campaign manager of a major presidential campaign.

Breaking on the Daily Beast.

Diversity virtue signal box checked.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If Bernie couldn't even win the Dems in 2016 I don't know what makes him think he can win the country in 2020.

Yeah, I mean, the fact that he couldn't beat Clinton is a red flag considering he was definitely on equal footing with her, and didn't have more crossover appeal to independents and Republicans.

It's a leader cult of the Left like Trump is for the Right and Bernie plays right into it. Neither one of them will be the Savior of America. If Bernie really wanted to do this country a service he'd back younger candidates of his persuasion rather than putting the spotlight on himself.

People keep saying this and no one is naming the candidates he should be backing.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So when do the death panels start? You know those who decide who lives and who dies based on what`s wrong with them physically??

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
He is old, has had his views for ages, got his own FU money. Perhaps, like Pelosi, he got that experience plus is out of fucks to give... thus not corruptible?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Credibility

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Heh... maybe him and the Starbucks guy should share the Independent ticket, basically guaranteeing Trump an easy glide path to reelection in 2020.

Reactions: ivwshane

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah, I mean, the fact that he couldn't beat Clinton is a red flag considering he was definitely on equal footing with her, and didn't have more crossover appeal to independents and Republicans.

People keep saying this and no one is naming the candidates he should be backing.

Please. Bernie got his shot. He just didn't make it. It's not my job to tell Bernie who he should be promoting. That's his job.

Reactions: Darkrage

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I am gonna love the day when Slow cries about all kinds of shit democrats are doing wrong and we'll just say..

WE DON'T CARE!