Bernie out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't think anyone here thinks this makes him incapable from a medical standpoint. From a purely political standpoint it will most likely hurt his poll numbers, because people for the most part are not rational when it comes to politics.

I want him to drop out for the reasons I mentioned above. Americans are looking for any excuse not to vote for Democrats and if Bernie loses again it will just add more fuel to the conspiracy theory that Democrats are screwing him.

I believe Bernie should step down and work for Warren, perhaps on the DL as yes conspiracies will be had. Politics is such nonsense but there it is.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
ACTUALLY, his heart condition is fairly normal.
This procedure is done every day and people go on to live a full productive life.
There is no reason this should slow Bernie down or in any way disqualify Bernie from serving as president.
The only one out there that will try to make a dig deal over this is Donald Trump.
And what Donald would be doing is to discredit every single person who has ever had this procedure.
Yet when its Donald's turn to have this procedure, and his time will come, then Donald will sing a different tune.

PS. Forgive me. I was wrong. To have this procedure done one first needs to have a heart. We all know Donald has no heart.
And no soul. Donald is the span of Satan, borne of a Jackal, thus no need for a heart, soul or brain.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Bernie dropping of his own volition would be a huge boost to Democrats. There is a huge portion of retarded adults that are Bernie or Bust that would sit out if Bernie loses the nomination. At least some of them would consider other candidates if Bernie just stops.

I think the vast majority of Bernie bros will accept Warren. His supporters have been slowly migrating over to her these past several months anyway. The larger question is what happens if Biden gets the nomination. What will they do then in the general election.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
As an MD I will echo that a stable angina with hard plaques relieved by stenting is not a compelling medical concern. There is some speculation involved that this description is fully accurate for what happened.

Personally, I like Bernie because he has been a consistent and honorable politician over a long period of time. His character and not policy are the most appealing to me. I'm not sure if that makes him the best candidate, even if you agree with the most progressive elements of his platform. There is real fear among Republicans that Democrats will gain a foothold and push across progressive policies in direct contrast to their platform. They may fight hardest against him, and regardless of whether they have any measure of success, more division in our politics is not the direction I want to head.

Strangely, as I write that, it doesn't feel right. Bernie is straightforward and dependable. He sticks up for what's right and compromises when appropriate. Despite his polarizing policies, he may be the most unifying candidate we have.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think the vast majority of Bernie bros will accept Warren. His supporters have been slowly migrating over to her these past several months anyway. The larger question is what happens if Biden gets the nomination. What will they do then in the general election.

If the choice is Trump then I don't think there would be much resistance to Biden at the polls especially if Biden were to have a VP who cares about who he or she would govern. If not I'd still vote for warty Joe.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If the choice is Trump then I don't think there would be much resistance to Biden at the polls especially if Biden were to have a VP who cares about who he or she would govern. If not I'd still vote for warty Joe.

Like Warren as his VP? I tend to agree.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
The Sanders campaign is reportedly cancelling ad buys in Iowa. That's not a good sign for his supporters.

• Wow
Reactions: Luna1968

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

To me it seems the primary risks here are to Bernie (duh) but also Biden because it raises the issue of his age as well.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The users are usually the biggest issue within any system that has users. I don't really want an inexperienced president, but I do understand that for some voters, relatability is important. Fine balance I think, Bernie was(is?) good at that.
Isn't the problem that voters want somebody they can relate to and that means somebody they can have a beer with. I like beer. You like beer, right?

Too bad what people relate to isn't character.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yea Sanders is out.
Biden is looking at the same age problem.
Kind of Ironic .. He goes Trump criming and treasoning away to get dirt on Biden and then something happens to upset the balance.
I am thinking Warren or Harris (or both).

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
To me it seems the primary risks here are to Bernie (duh) but also Biden because it raises the issue of his age as well.

And perhaps to a lesser extent, Warren, who is 70. It's a legitimate voter concern. Not just that they might die in office, but whether they are going to be "all there" cognitively as they continue to age in office. I think Biden has already experienced some cognitive decline. It's one reason I think he's one of the weakest candidates to actually be POTUS, even if on paper he seems to have the best chance to win the election.

Reactions: Zorba

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
And perhaps to a lesser extent, Warren, who is 70. It's a legitimate voter concern. Not just that they might die in office, but whether they are going to be "all there" cognitively as they continue to age in office. I think Biden has already experienced some cognitive decline. It's one reason I think he's one of the weakest candidates to actually be POTUS, even if on paper he seems to have the best chance to win the election.
Speaking of decline .. Has Pelosi always talked that way?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
New polling shows Warren pulling ahead of Biden, and Bernie was already slipping before this news. Looks like UkraineGate served its purpose—GOP has successfully derailed the Dem front-runner (though many have argued he would have derailed himself anyway.)

Now let’s see if helping Warren get in front turns out to bite them in the ass.
I heard on a podcast that Bernie also had the highest level of dislike amoung all the candidates, like 25%.

I fall into that camp, I like him and his message, but I dislike him running this time. I think him dragging out the 2016 primary well past the point of viability, was one of many factors that undermined Hilary.

Reactions: Thump553 and dank69

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Speaking of decline .. Has Pelosi always talked that way?

IIRC Pelosi has never been a good communicator with the public. Which is why she never would have made a good POTUS candidate herself. She's smart and knows her caucus inside and out, but verbal articulation has never been her strong suit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think vast majority is an overestimate. A large portion of Bernie supporters voted for Trump. People like that aren't looking to fix the system, they are looking to wreck it. Most of them probably only supported Bernie because he doesn't call himself a Democrat. It gave conservatives and "independents" an excuse to back the policies they want without admitting that Democrats were right about something.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yes, her to an extent as well although for whatever reason people don't seem to really care about her age despite her only being 6 years younger than Biden.

It would be nice if we could default to electing people under 60 though, yes.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Isn't the problem that voters want somebody they can relate to and that means somebody they can have a beer with. I like beer. You like beer, right?

Too bad what people relate to isn't character.
Very true, but most voters don't think the way we do (by we I mean those on this forum). We think about things, talk about things, argue about things (sans personal attacks I guess), and come to conclusions about candidates. Most of them just don't like old people, young people, people that seem like politicians, people that don't seem like politicians, etc.

Character is like, really really low on most people's list of requirements or concerns, which sucks. Maybe because investigating character would require them to be introspective about their own character, upon which they'll realize they have no business voting, or only want to vote for themselves.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
IIRC Pelosi has never been a good communicator with the public. Which is why she never would have made a good POTUS candidate herself. She's smart and knows her caucus inside and out, but verbal articulation has never been her strong suit.

I've seen a town hall or two with her, and they are atrocious. She doesn't communicate well in front of regular people. She strongly presents that image of: "I have no idea how you live, so let me ignore your question and rephrase it into my 0.1%er perspective of how things work."

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think vast majority is an overestimate. A large portion of Bernie supporters voted for Trump. People like that aren't looking to fix the system, they are looking to wreck it. Most of them probably only supported Bernie because he doesn't call himself a Democrat. It gave conservatives and "independents" an excuse to back the policies they want without admitting that Democrats were right about something.

and Warren is a good candidate for that. Wall Street shits bricks over the perspective of a Warren candidacy, and that is the one issue where Bernie/Trump supporters cross. Obviously, that is the last thing Trump would ever do for his people (idiots still believed him, though), but it is certainly what you would expect Warren and Bernie to follow up on.

Trump has lost every single one of his "hate the man, support the policy" voters, because they no longer accept that he "was just faking it" for the election. He is just fake.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
I've seen a town hall or two with her, and they are atrocious. She doesn't communicate well in front of regular people. She strongly presents that image of: "I have no idea how you live, so let me ignore your question and rephrase it into my 0.1%er perspective of how things work."

ive seen those town halls on youtube and man its a unwatchable. you are right she talks like a princess who lives in opulence who came out of her castle to talk to the filthy ignorant peasants.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
As an MD I will echo that a stable angina with hard plaques relieved by stenting is not a compelling medical concern. There is some speculation involved that this description is fully accurate for what happened.

Personally, I like Bernie because he has been a consistent and honorable politician over a long period of time. His character and not policy are the most appealing to me. I'm not sure if that makes him the best candidate, even if you agree with the most progressive elements of his platform. There is real fear among Republicans that Democrats will gain a foothold and push across progressive policies in direct contrast to their platform. They may fight hardest against him, and regardless of whether they have any measure of success, more division in our politics is not the direction I want to head.

Strangely, as I write that, it doesn't feel right. Bernie is straightforward and dependable. He sticks up for what's right and compromises when appropriate. Despite his polarizing policies, he may be the most unifying candidate we have.

Bernie most definitely is not the most unifying, in fact a study was shown that he was the most partisan of all senators.

I believe there is one for 2019 as well where he tops the list.

Nov 8, 2012
Bernie dropping of his own volition would be a huge boost to Democrats. There is a huge portion of retarded adults that are Bernie or Bust that would sit out if Bernie loses the nomination. At least some of them would consider other candidates if Bernie just stops.

If they want to be smart he should give an endorsement to whom he perceives as the best chance in an effort to calm the Bernie bros. as if he trusts that his endorsement will act just as he would.