Bernie Madoff, Scam within a Scam

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Nothing like $65 Billion worth of Investor Protection for the Ultra-Rich. All they needed was for Bernie Madoff to Plead to Fraud.

Madoff did not commit fraud. He made some very heavy investment bets that lost big. He went to his investors and told them the bad news. They were extremely upset.

Madoff then said that there is another route we can take. If the investment losses are determined to be as a result of fraud, then the law provides for full reimbursement at the expense of the taxpayers.

So they chose this route, and Madoff went into court and claimed that he was running a Ponzi scam instead of legitmate investment losses. Normally, the court must then open the books to determine what restitution is required.

However, once a fraud is legally determined, the books are closed and the court must pay out the full claims of the victims. Madoff thus immediately plead guilty to fraud.

Now, the investors are demanding more than their principle investments.

They are demanding that they be paid all the returns originally promised by Madoff. As the books are closed, they will get paid far in excess of their original principal.

And you and I, the taxpayers, are going to pay for this.

Madoff will do easy time in millionaire's prison and in a few years when memories fade should be able to arrange for early release and a cushy retirement.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ruling-on-method-for-paying-fraud-claims.html

" March 23 (Bloomberg) -- Former customers of Bernard Madoff, who conducted the biggest Ponzi scheme in U.S. history, have appealed a judge’s decision that lets the liquidator of Madoff’s business reject years’ worth of fake profit from the fraud when calculating victims’ claims for repayment.

At least 10 notices of appeal have been filed since March 18, including one yesterday by Lawrence Elins and Malibu Trading & Investing LP.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland, overseeing the bankruptcy of Madoff’s defunct business, is allowing the victims to appeal immediately to the U.S. Court of Appeals in New York, meaning they won’t have to wait until trustee Irving Picard denies a claim and won’t have to first appeal to the federal district court.

Lifland’s March 1 ruling will determine how much money, if any, victims may get from the industry-financed Securities Investor Protection Corp., which must repay as much as $500,000 for each qualifying claim. Thousands of customers objected to Picard’s methodology, arguing he wrongfully set claims based on their cash deposits minus withdrawals instead of using the amounts on Madoff’s final account statements. Lifland sided with Picard.

Who Gets What

Picard, hired by SIPC to repay victims of the $65 billion fraud, has said that using account statements to set claims would let the con man decide who gets what, and include profit from trades that didn’t really happen."

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I'm missing the part where the taxpayer pays for all the money the victims want. It sounds like they'll get at most $500,000 from an industry-funded account. $500,000 is likely a very small share of what they really lost.

I also believe the victims have their share of culpability but I'm not seeing a huge payout here by the taxpayers.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'm missing the part where the taxpayer pays for all the money the victims want. It sounds like they'll get at most $500,000 from an industry-funded account. $500,000 is likely a very small share of what they really lost.

I also believe the victims have their share of culpability but I'm not seeing a huge payout here by the taxpayers.

Same. and I dont know why you would cheer that investors lost so much money....other than envy of course.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Madoff did not commit fraud. He made some very heavy investment bets that lost big. He went to his investors and told them the bad news. They were extremely upset.

I question your premise.

Getting your money back from Madoff

Small-scale investors could get compensated fully, thanks to brokerage protections; multi-million dollar victims will certainly take a hit.

Madoff, in federal court in Manhattan last week, pleaded guilty to operating the biggest Ponzi scheme in history. A Ponzi scam uses fresh investments from unsuspecting investors to make payments to more mature investors, to create the false appearance of legitimate returns. In reality, Madoff never bought securities and therefore never invested the money, according to his courtroom confession.

The article you quote says:

Lifland&#8217;s March 1 ruling will determine how much money, if any, victims may get from the industry-financed Securities Investor Protection Corp., which must repay as much as $500,000 for each qualifying claim.

Where idoes it say that taxpayers will foot the bill to reimburse Madoff's victims? :confused:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I wonder if the DNC will give the scammed investors the money Madoff donated to them.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

I'd like to see verification for this claim. I recall several people killing themslves upon learning of their losses through Madoff, others testifying in court etc (it sure didn't sound like they were 'in on it').

The bigger investors are receiving a fraction of their money, why he'd go to them and they'd be happy to collaborate is inexplicable.

Then there were falsified brokerage statements going back years if not decades.

I gotta say it looks like a ponzi sceme to me, and a ponzi scheme is fraud.

And yeah, the whole 'full reimbursement at taxpayer expense' etc is wrong.

I could've sworn I posted in a similar thread yesterday, but can't seem to find it. what's up?

Fern

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
I wonder if the DNC will give the scammed investors the money Madoff donated to them.

Thanks for yet more political hackery. Here. Wipe your nose on this from your favorite noise source:

Madoff Made Hefty Political Contributions to Top Officials

FOXNews.com

Democratic and Republican leaders benefited from checks from Bernard Madoff, the disgraced former head of Nasdaq accused of massive investment fraud.

It reads like a who's who of liberal Democrats: Clinton, Corzine, Dodd, Schumer, Kerry, Markey, Rangel, Bradley, Lautenberg ... and yes, even Obama.

It would mean something if any of them knew Madoff was committing fraud. It would mean more if any of them knew it and did nothing about it.

Either find something that establishes that, or go home and practice. :hmm:

Last edited:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for yet more political hackery. Here. Wipe your nose on this from your favorite noise source:

It would mean something if any of them knew Madoff was committing fraud. It would mean more if any of them knew it and did nothing about it.

Either find something that establishes that, or go home and practice. :hmm:

Never said that they knew about it but if someone gave me stolen goods (or money) I would certainly give that money back after I found out its source.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
His claims aren't backed up by anything. He's pulling them out of his a$$. Then again, this is expected when this poster comments on any issues than involve the "J" word.

- wolf

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Never said that they knew about it but if someone gave me stolen goods (or money) I would certainly give that money back after I found out its source.

That's because you have tremendous character, and always do the right thing. Even when it's not popular.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Let me see if I get this straight. You make these asinine claims in another thread. I point out why you are totally full of shit: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=29595682&postcount=32

And your response is to open an entirely new thread with the same asinine claims? Wow, way to use the old Internet buddy.

Of course, if I'd known your "source" for this ridiculous story was an anti-semitic lunatic website, I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to you.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006

that's not how it works.

the DNC sends thank you notes to the political contributors.

the US government provides FDIC type insurance to Madoff's ultra-wealthy friends.

if you could make $65 billion for your friends just by turning yourself in and declaring fraud and going to jail for a few years.

his "capture" before trial always did seem wierd. house arrest for someone who stole $70 Billion in an alleged Ponzi scheme ? always did seem wierd.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

But I posted this as reported by Fox:

Madoff Made Hefty Political Contributions to Top Officials

FOXNews.com

Democratic and Republican leaders benefited from checks from Bernard Madoff, the disgraced former head of Nasdaq accused of massive investment fraud.

It reads like a who's who of liberal Democrats: Clinton, Corzine, Dodd, Schumer, Kerry, Markey, Rangel, Bradley, Lautenberg ... and yes, even Obama.

When why did you single out the DNC? That was just more of your typical politcal hackery.

Bernie has nothing on Barry when it comes to scamming the people.

And speaking of politcal hackery, Madoff admitted his fraud and has been convicted for it. Prove your dumbass charge that Obama scammed anyone, or be glad you can't be jailed for spewing so much bullshit.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
that's not how it works.

the DNC sends thank you notes to the political contributors.

the US government provides FDIC type insurance to Madoff's ultra-wealthy friends.

if you could make $65 billion for your friends just by turning yourself in and declaring fraud and going to jail for a few years.

his "capture" before trial always did seem wierd. house arrest for someone who stole $70 Billion in an alleged Ponzi scheme ? always did seem wierd.

Answer the mother fucking post, where do you see SIPC supported by the government?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Answer the mother fucking post, where do you see SIPC supported by the government?

Since it's federally mandated, people like him say it's "effectively" financed by government. Kind of like how people think the Fed is the US Treasury. Ignorant people are ignorant.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
that's not how it works.

You're ignoring the $500 K maximum reimbursement limit by the SIPC, but carry on with the made-up nonsense about "closed books" and unlimited payouts.

Or read some accurate information and fix the OP:
http://www.sipc.org/how/brochure.cfm

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
"Former customers of Bernard Madoff, who conducted the biggest Ponzi scheme in U.S. history,"

this makes it sound like the former customers are the ones who conducted the biggest Ponzi scheme in US history

that's all i have to contribute.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
"Former customers of Bernard Madoff, who conducted the biggest Ponzi scheme in U.S. history,"

this makes it sound like the former customers are the ones who conducted the biggest Ponzi scheme in US history

No, for that meaning, you would have to delete the comma following "Madoff."